What are you cookin on the smoker?

cigarnv

Yep, it was a good game  drew brees can pick apart defenses so well. My pro teams are not doin as well as my college teams this year

Just put a salmon filet on the smoker. First had to coat with blackened old bay seasoning. Then on there pellet grill at 250F for 1.5 h. Always comes out perfect.

Edited by StarSurfer55
  • I like it 2

Back to the smoker today.  I bought a large pack of chicken breasts at Costco so this is about 12 breasts for each cook.  WHat we do not eat today will be double wrapped with Saran Wrap then into a ziplock bag before going into the freeze.  We can then take them out as needed to go onto salads or to just slice an d eat.

My process is simple.  I put a basic sweet and Smokey rub on the breasts beforr they are put on the smoker.  Smoker is set at 250F and I use my own blend of pecan and hickory pellets.  After 1.5 hours on the smoke, the breasts go into a foil pan with chapped garlic , chicken broth and white wine.  I also add pepper to taste and a half package of poultry herbs (rosemary, sage.Thyme) to the liquid.  The pans are covered with foil and back on the smoker at 250 for another hour. Internal temp should be at least 165 but I try to get close to 180.  Then they come out of the liquid and back on the smoker to remove the excess liquid on the surface.  I have use d this recipe for many years and never have a dry chicken issue.  Enjoy!

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Smoked this monster prime NY Strip (on sale for $9.99/lb right now at Costco) for 2 hours to 135 degrees internal temp. Then seared it like crazy now enjoying this beaut with my favorite sub $50 rye. Unfortunately me channeling my inner Okie with the Turnpike koozie and OU glass won't get the Sooners back in this game. 

20191228_152119.jpg

20191228_160904.jpg

• I like it 2

• 3 weeks later...

Fired up the smoker today for salmon.  Since my wife and I have been on a weight loss program, this is one of our favorites. Just coat with blackened Old Bay and 250 for 1.5 hour and done.  Can’t get any simpler.

CA082CCD-430D-4B98-B5A7-67E6197B6309.jpeg

• I like it 3

• 2 weeks later...

BACK TO The smoker for this weekend.  Did a 1 0 lb brisker flat.  I must confess that this was my first briket ever and it turned out great. It was an overnight cook on the pellet smoker.  Ready for this afternoon.  Going to watch Ford vs Ferrari while eating brisket.  I will pair with a bourbon as well (most likely Longbranch).  Can’t think of a better way to spend a Saturday afternoon in February (yes, it is February. January 2020 is done!)

3 minutes ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Brisket pic.  Sliced and ready to eat.

Man does that look good. ?

Cheers and enjoy!  Joe

23 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Man does that look good. ?

Cheers and enjoy!  Joe

Joe,  Thanks it was good.  I have about half left over so we will be enjoying it during the SUper Bowl as well.  The LOngbrancho paired well.  The bit of smokiness in the bourbon paired well with brisket.

Jeff

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

I put the brisket on about 6 1/2 hours ago. The Egg is stabilized around 235⁰. Now time to relax with a budget pour. Hoping the brisket will be ready for 1pm lunch tomorrow. 

This is my first brisket. I trimmed a little fat, but I'm second guessing that I didnt trim enough fat. We shall see.

The rub is mostly salt and pepper. There's a little garlic powder, chili powder, cayenne, and coffee in there as well. I used pecan, post oak, and cherry woods for smoke. 

20200214_151130.jpg

20200215_221738.jpg

20200215_221836.jpg

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, dcbt said:

How'd the brisket turn out? I still haven't mastered brisket...

Yes. Inquiring minds and appetites want to know. :P

Biba! Joe

On 2/16/2020 at 8:33 AM, HoustonNit said:

Seems like a good price for prime brisket or maybe they just overcharge here in Texas.

Costco is usually a whole packer and you will lose a good amount after trimming which is why the price per lb was low.  I thought Texas was pretty good for beef pricing.  I think I pay right in the $6-7 per pound area (trimmed) and its "Choice or better" which they claim is usually Prime.

• 2 weeks later...

Put a brisket on this morning.  I picked up a flat that weighed almost 6 lbs.  My rub is simple - garlic salt, pepper and salt. Once it enters the stall, I wrap it and add beef broth and a guiness beer.  One I get it to 205, then it is wrapped and rests for two hours before slicing.  I serve it with the Au jus.   Here it is sliced and ready to eat.  BTW, it was about an 8 h cook.

84DE8944-3D73-490C-B7A9-F40AD9A11B07.jpeg

• I like it 4

4 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Put a brisket on this morning.  I picked up a flat that weighed almost 6 lbs.  My rub is simple - garlic salt, pepper and salt. Once it enters the stall, I wrap it and add beef broth and a guiness beer.  One I get it to 205, then it is wrapped and rests for two hours before slicing.  I serve it with the Au jus.   Here it is sliced and ready to eat.  BTW, it was about an 8 h cook.

84DE8944-3D73-490C-B7A9-F40AD9A11B07.jpeg

Nice looking.  How much liquid did you add? AND, what was your average temp post-stall?  Eight hours for me seems a bit short - can't get my chunks through the stall at less than 12 HRS unless I run above but close to 300F grill-level (not internal) temp for at least another hour and then it dries when cooking just a flat.

PM me if you want to get techie.  I'm Harry on AmazingRibs.com.

• I like it 1

I was a bit surrprised at how fast this one cooked out as well.  It was smaller than what I usually cook (only 5 lbs rather than 10-12).  Once I hit 160-170, I add a whole Guiness beer and about 16 oz of beef broth and cover with foil.  I then take it to 205.  I set my smoker to 250 but mine runs a bit hot (~260-265).  I have a Camp Chef pellet grill which I prefer over Traeger only because of the ease of removing ash. I use a mix of half hickory and half pecan pellets.

I love the Amazing Rib site.  It is where I got the recommendation for the Camp Chef Grill.  Lots of great information and tips.

• I like it 1

On 2/16/2020 at 8:59 PM, dcbt said:

How'd the brisket turn out? I still haven't mastered brisket...

On 2/17/2020 at 5:41 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

Yes. Inquiring minds and appetites want to know. :P

Biba! Joe

Sorry fellas, I just saw this.

Well there's a reason I didn't come back to pat my own back.

I got to tinkering with my airflow too much before going to bed. I woke up at 4:30am (my inner clock nudges me when I'm smoking overnight) to check the temp. The Egg dome temp was down to 150⁰. In lieu of messing with it to stabilize it, I just put it in the oven at a very low temp. Of course it eventually cooked, and I sliced it. 

My honest thoughts: it was fine. If I ordered it in a restaurant I wouldn't be impressed at all, but I wouldn't call it bad. 

Though it was my first brisket, I feel like my inability to just leave the airflow alone is what bit me in the ass. Live and learn. I'll be back on the brisket pony this summer. 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, JCwhammie said:

I feel like my inability to just leave the airflow alone is what bit me in the ass. Live and learn. I'll be back on the brisket pony this summer. 

100% agree.  I used to tinker with my vents way to much.  I now believe it takes a good 60-90 min for any minor adjustments to take effect so be patient!  And obviously opening the lid or side hatch lets in a ton of fresh air.  

FWIW I have also noticed that my ribs in particular (6 hour cook) come out so much better when the smoker is "warmed up" and temps are nice and steady.  Ideally I would do a short smoke for Chicken legs or Pig Candy, first and then get the ribs on about 2 hours later.   But now we are at 8 hours . . .

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

I was a bit surrprised at how fast this one cooked out as well.  It was smaller than what I usually cook (only 5 lbs rather than 10-12).  Once I hit 160-170, I add a whole Guiness beer and about 16 oz of beef broth and cover with foil.  I then take it to 205.  I set my smoker to 250 but mine runs a bit hot (~260-265).  I have a Camp Chef pellet grill which I prefer over Traeger only because of the ease of removing ash. I use a mix of half hickory and half pecan pellets.

I love the Amazing Rib site.  It is where I got the recommendation for the Camp Chef Grill.  Lots of great information and tips.

THX.  I use a Weber Summit CGC.  For brisket, I use Weber charcoal stacked Minion Method with 4 large hickory chunks placed on the first two thirds of the ring.  I was thinking about a 8-10 lb. flat re: my timing with my temp held pretty well between 225-250.  NOW it all makes sense.:D Never added a beer although I do inject broth pre-cook and add the rest of it just prior to the wrap.  I like the idea of the pecan, too, and will try that this Summer.

Harry,

I experimented a bit and tried a few of the fruit wood melange mixes that Traeger sells.  I found that I like the flavor of hickory best of all but if you oversmoke it can impart a bitter flavor (it is a lighter fluid like taste). I decided to try pecan to provide a lighter smoke flavor (Pecan is in the hickory family and a pecan is just a thin skinned hickory nut).  

If you use a beer, I would recommend staying with a stout and  make sure not to use anything too hoppy (made that mistake once).  I have a Carbonnade recipe that I use a Guinness in and it is excellent. I don’t like the texture of cooked carrots so I looked for an alternative to an Irish Stew.  The Belgium Carbonnade was perfect - all beefy and full of onions and garlic.  If your want to try it, I can pass all the recipe.

JC,  

Congrats on the first brisket.   The one I posted was only my second.  It is all about getting your process down and being able to repeat it every time.  I understand the desire to check on it during an overnight cook.  My next step is to inject which a lot of people do but I have not tried yet.

Jeff

• I like it 1

Chicken thighs dusted with my pork rub. I could eat these multiple days a week and not be upset. The skin is perfectly crispy every time. I season on and under the skin. When leftover the skin gets rubbery, so I remove it after warming them up. They go perfect with waffle.

This is my first cook with little Whammie helping out. He looks uncomfortable in the carrier, but he's actually extremely content. 

I was drinking a Schlafly Coffee Stout then a Sierra Nevada Celebration. 

20200307_161526.jpg

20200307_161502.jpg

• I like it 4

3 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

Chicken thighs dusted with my pork rub. I could eat these multiple days a week and not be upset. The skin is perfectly crispy every time. I season on and under the skin. When leftover the skin gets rubbery, so I remove it after warming them up. They go perfect with waffle.

This is my first cook with little Whammie helping out. He looks uncomfortable in the carrier, but he's actually extremely content. 

I was drinking a Schlafly Coffee Stout then a Sierra Nevada Celebration. 

20200307_161526.jpg

20200307_161502.jpg

The little Dude loox entirely at ease in that Dad-Facing Papoose Thingie.   Too Cute!  ?

47 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

The little Dude loox entirely at ease in that Dad-Facing Papoose Thingie.   Too Cute!  ?

This carrier is awesome!