Almost Bourbon

TexasPride
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What is the going thoughts here on Tennessee Whisk(e)y?

I had some Dickel #12 today that was nice.

Heresy?

I figured you guys would have this subject taken care of. Thanks Paradox.

Wow that was a LONG ass time ago!!

that said the jist still rings true, depite what Jeff says ( lol.gifLOL lol.gif), George Dickel runs laps around ole Jack!!

TomC

Hey look, he's puking his JD all over Mr. Dickle because the JD is so putrid in his mouth! wink.gif

J/K J/K, I actually have not tried Dickel yet. I searched for a 50 ml to try while traveling to VA some time ago and could not find one. Has anyone perhaps close to TN, seen recent bottles (50ml) of dickel? I may just have to wait till Sept. From the looks of 2 of the top tasters we have, this will have to be a decision I'll have to make for myself.

I have to disagree with you. In a showdown between JD and GD, GD wins easy.

In the interest of "scientific" research, after your post, I took a swig of my WV sister's GD (my KY sister doesn't drink bourbon). I am at my parents' house now and my sister leaves a bottle of GD, black, 80, for the times she visits. I just took a couple quick swigs from the plastic bottle (when in Rome). Not bad stuff. Very easy drinking even accounting for the 80 proof.

Here's the recipe for George Dickle:

Take 2oz of your least favorite bourbon, say Rebel Yell or Cabin Stills. Take 2 one-a-day vitamins, crush them and add to the bourbon. Shake Well. Take a Pinch of grass from your lawnmower bag, add to the drink and stir. Leave in the hot sun for a couple of hours and enjoy. GD12 is best served up warm in a dirty glass. yum.gif

Ewww, all I can say is vomit-smiley-026.gif . Crushed vitamins, that just ruined it for me!

You're not kidding when you say you dislike it, haha.

You know, it's funny when you stop and consider the power of suggestion. Up until now, I've really enjoyed George Dickel white label and have been fond of what others have described as its "apple and butter" aroma. I never could pin down the aroma myself but that description was a pretty good approximation to what I was experiencing so I adopted it and looked forward to it with every new bottle I purchased.

But, Jeff, after all your talk about vitamins I have to sadly say that I know what you're talking about. Depending on how my sniffer works from day to day, that buttery nose of George Dickel does have a little of that Flintstone chewable bouquet.

Ugh! I don't have a bottle of GD in the cabinet right now, but what's gonna be my reaction to the next bottle I buy? I won't be able to stop thinking about vitamins. puke.gif

Its almost like enjoying the local oriental buffet until you learn that the main dishes are comprised of sweet-n-sour kitty!

Thanks for enhancing my Dickel experience!

smirk.gifconfused.gifgrin.gif

-Troy

I have to disagree with you. In a showdown between JD and GD, GD wins easy.

1pigflygif.gif

It is not heresy to me. Although I haven't bought a bottle in the past couple of years, it has been one of my favorites for many years. Go ahead and enjoy it.

Also, take a look at their web site. Apparently, there was some major tasting held not too long ago where Dickel No. 12 took top honors.

Tim

DO NOT BE FOOLED BY THE JEFF BEHIND THE CURTAIN. This is some smooth sweet sippin' stuff, great for long summer nights on the front porch swing and ideal to spice up a batch of Sun Jar "Tenessee Sweet Tea". It is rather simple tasting (vanilla caramel, charcoal) but hasd none of this shit that Jeff keeps talking about in it confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif. and for like $14 in Ohio it is a worthwhile drink to have around!!

BLEEE!!

TomC

PS Jeff, does that mean you ACTUALLY like that black Label crap!?!?!?!?? puke.gif

Jeffs tasting notes are spot on. This will not be everyones cup of tea, however I like the stuff and can think of no better way to take my vitamins!

I say give it a try, as you may well be missing out. No.12 beat Blantons, J.D. single Barrel and other top drops in a blind taste test recently (see their web site). For the price you guys in the US can get it for, it would be rude not to try it.

PS Jeff, does that mean you ACTUALLY like that black Label crap!?!?!?!??

Not particularly, though it does lack a certain sodiness grin.gif

I don't mean to say that any of you are wrong in your enjoyment of GD12, you're just not right either lol.gif

Again it goes back to personal tastes. Obviously it tastes different to you than it does to me, otherwise I'm sure you wouldn't drink it either. It is the only american whiskey that has truely repulsed me. JD black has a somewhat similar profile, but I don't get the vitamins in it. Therefore it is better. Not particularly good, just better.

Jeff,

I don't recall all the history regarding your disdain for GD No. 12. Have you had it from more than one bottle with a fair interval of time between tastes?

I ask because your mention of vitamins reminds me of an old story. A pair of professional brandy tasters (I guess I could substitute "bourbon tasters", but that's not the way I heard the story) agreed that the samples from a certain barrel were a bit "off", but they couldn't agree how to describe the extraneous flavor. One insisted that it was akin to leather; the other insisted that it was metallic. Because they both agreed that brandy from that barrel couldn't be bottled, the distiller dumped the contents down the sewer. At the bottom of the barrel he found a leather-covered furniture tack.

Because your and my opinions have been so close regarding so many bourbons, I am holding onto the hope that you sampled from a tainted batch of the Dickel.

Nevertheless, you have piqued my curiousity. I'll be trying G.D. No. 12 again in the near future, ever sensitive to the flavor of Flintstones.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Dave, I have heard that story, but it was in the context of something to do with U. S. Senators. I wish I could remember the version I heard.

Anyway, lets all go buy a bottle of Dickel 12 and see what we think, now. wink.gif

Tim

Reviewing this exchange re: Tennessee whiskey validates yet again my sound decision not to keep a single drop of that non-Bourbon anywhere near my apartment. I have no slugs to worry about chasing away from the fifth floor, so have no need for either George or Jack. shocked.gif

"AH, but is it truely better to have tried a whiskey and been repulsed, or not to have tried it al all??"

I know this is a bit reversed, but you get my point.

I have had 3 bottles of Dickel (what can I say, it is cheap and available in OH. . .) and they have all been consistantly good, mind you not even AAA 10, Old Forester 86, Old Ezra 7/107 good but consistant and great for their purpose (summer evenng pour, our coupled with a spot of Iced Tea) I would suggest trying before dismissing out of hand. The example I would put forward, is that I was REPULSED by the only bottle of rye I have tried so far (Old Overholt BTW) but I am going to keep an open mind rather than dismiss Wild Turkey and VanWinkle bottlings out of hand before trying them.

Tom (whisket philosopher) C

PS JD has this sweet sour thing going on that literally turns my stomach whenever I drink it. . .

PS JD has this sweet sour thing going on that literally turns my stomach whenever I drink it. . .

Must be all the vitamins and minerals in the GD12 that calm your stomach lol.gif

I'm actually sampling some GD#12 right now--I'm trying really hard to detect the "Flintstones Chewables" note to it! Is it the maple/grassiness flavor-combo that's giving you that taste?

I gotta say, I STRONGLY prefer true bourbon to this stuff, but for a change of pace it's not too bad. (Flintstones nothwithstanding!) lol.gif

Mr Kroll uses the " Senators" version in "Bluegrass Belles and Bourbon",I think they are Ky Senators at that. toast.gif He also relates another good story as fact, of 2 Ky politicians who spend the afternoon drinking in Bardstown before a debate. One gets much drunker than the other and his oponent arranges for the drunk candidate to sit nearer to a drum stove in the hall where the debate was held. puke.gif You guessed it, he let it go in front of everyone. Not missing a beat he wipes his mouth then says that that always happens when he hears a Democrat/Republican( Pick One) speak. He won the election! toast.gifusflag.gifdrinking.gif

I STRONGLY prefer true bourbon to this stuff, but for a change of pace it's not too bad.

Well Put! toast.gif

TomC

I'm trying really hard to detect the "Flintstones Chewables" note to it! Is it the maple/grassiness flavor-combo that's giving you that taste?

Now I never said anything about Flinstone's vitamins, as that might taste better grin.gif I'm talking about those Wal-Mart generic vitamins that have been on the shelf for about 5 years and are beginning to decompose puke.gif Grassiness yes, but I don't get the maple you describe.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.