"Texas Made" Bourbon 1835

wadewood
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

OK, stopped by Specs last Thursday and they were promoting a new "Texas" Bourbon. I follow the craft movement pretty well here in Texas and never heard of this product. It's called 1835 Bourbon Whiskey. No age statement, so assuming it's at least 4 years old for $27. I'm 99.99% sure this was not distilled in the State of Texas, but bottle states "Texas Made". You can see the COLA info and label here:

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=12018001000474

It does say Bottled in Lewisville, TX. IMHO, stating "Texas Made" on something that was just bottled here is very deceptive. Goggling North Texas Distillers LLC found a blank webpage, but also a connection to Delos Vodka, which apparently makes a vodka using a vacuum still.

FYI, later that night stopped by Poison Girl and Scott poured me a taste of this. It would be an OK bourbon at $11, which is where you can find several lower end KY brands priced at.

My Specs was promoting this (hard!) last weekend. They were even getting out samples. I didn't enjoy it. Tasted young and uninteresting.

Ugh. This just makes me sick. They want to invoke Texas "pride" and "independence" yet the product obviously represents the exact opposite.

Lewisville is only 15 minutes from me, maybe I'll just show up. With dogs.

How do these people sleep at night?

How is it even legal to put something like "Texas Made" on your bottle when it couldn't be further from the truth.

How is it even legal to put something like "Texas Made" on your bottle when it couldn't be further from the truth.

Well, I question if it is legal. "The label is in any way misleading or deceptive as to the actual State ofdistillation" - http://www.ttb.gov/spirits/bam.shtml - Ch1. section 14

But I'm already involved in one quest, so would love if you took this over with your dogs!

FYI - I did email to the email in COLA filing asking if fermented or distilled in TX. No response back so far.

OK, stopped by Specs last Thursday and they were promoting a new "Texas" Bourbon. I follow the craft movement pretty well here in Texas and never heard of this product. It's called 1835 Bourbon Whiskey. No age statement, so assuming it's at least 4 years old for $27. I'm 99.99% sure this was not distilled in the State of Texas, but bottle states "Texas Made". You can see the COLA info and label

They're not calling it a straight bourbon, so it isn't likely to be a day over two years old, though probably younger.

Well, I question if it is legal. "The label is in any way misleading or deceptive as to the actual State ofdistillation" - http://www.ttb.gov/spirits/bam.shtml - Ch1. section 14

But I'm already involved in one quest, so would love if you took this over with your dogs!

FYI - I did email to the email in COLA filing asking if fermented or distilled in TX. No response back so far.

I actually made an inquiry with the TTB about why they don't seem to be enforcing the rule that a whiskey label must show the state of distillation (based on other bottles I've seen). I've not heard back from them yet.

That being said, how do you know this isn't Texas made. There are a fair number of distilleries in Texas these days. Couldn't it be something distilled by Garrison's or one of the other micros?

Edited by sku

They're not calling it a straight bourbon, so it isn't likely to be a day over two years old, though probably younger.

Someone set me straight. I'm reading Ch. 8 of the TTB on Age Statements, and it's look to me if under 4 years, an age statement is required. This applies to both Bourbon and Straight Bourbon. That is why I said this has to be at least 4 years old.

What is your current quest?

Someone set me straight. I'm reading Ch. 8 of the TTB on Age Statements, and it's look to me if under 4 years, an age statement is required. This applies to both Bourbon and Straight Bourbon. That is why I said this has to be at least 4 years old.

I concur.

Although TTB's workload has grown significantly, they haven't been able to add people, so they're very pressed and making mistakes. They rely on voluntary compliance, which indirectly means they rely on competitors and the public to tell them when they get something wrong. I have an article about this in the next issue of Whisky Advocate, which probably won't appear until November or so.

The cached version of the website says:

North Texas Distillers is a micro distillery that hand makes small batches from scratch. The raw ingredients for most of the brands created is a combination of Texas wheat and rye that is purchased from local farmers. The distillery operates two stills named Izzy and Calvin which use a vacuum system to create a smoother and cleaner final product. A small lab allows the Master Distiller to constantly fine tune the formula in an effort to make each batch smoother and better. This operation is focused on quality over quantity, requiring each employee to spend more time and detail on each step of the process.

Visitors experiencing a tour will first find an old western saloon atmosphere in the lobby. When entering the distillery the stills and fermentation tanks demand attention with their stainless steel finish and size. Each fermentor and still has a name printed on the front after family members of the founder and employees. This touch adds a little personality and self pride during the creation of each batch.

Along the entire tour one will see Texas flags hanging from the ceiling and walls. Each flag has flown over the state of Texas at some point in history and represents dedication and perseverance. Next on the tour is the bottling room which has employees signing the batch # and their names on each cork band placed on the bottles. By the exit, displayed on a wall between two flags is a hanging white blanket. Each person visiting the distillery is required to sign the blanket, the blankets are taken down each year and hung around the room's perimeter to display the individuals that have taken the time to visit our operation and who are now considered friends and ambassadors. Finally, on the way out a picture is taken with visitors wearing cowboy hats and vests while sampling DeLos Vodka, Lome Star Vodka and several others. The distillery not only offers a tour but an experience in personal pride and dedication to creating and packaging each brand

The cached version of the website says

That's pretty similar to the language on their vodka website - http://www.delosvodka.com/about.html

From what I can tell about the Vodka - it was launched in Summer of 2009. If they stated distilling around then, no way would they have 4 year old bourbon ready for sale.

I was always under the impression this only applied to straight bourbon aged less than 4 years. I could be wrong, I'll check my notes

The flavor description on the label is not at all what I tasted. It has a sweet start, but it didn't deliver much after that. Young, and thin flavor.

The age requirement is only for Straight Whiskey. Not for Whiskey. I

Edited by Leopold

I have it on good authority (from Specs - who is featuring this expression, so they have to push it) that this is Kentucky bourbon with Texas water added. They blend it here with water (no GNS, however) and claim it to be a "Texas product" because they "mixed it" here... The whiskey is 100% from Kentucky.

Not to be too blunt, but they are liars - just as the TX from F&R is a scam.

It's as "Texas" as Texas Crown (Canadian Whisky!) is....

The age requirement is only for Straight Whiskey. Not for Whiskey. I

It may not be the law, but if they are the ones approving the labels... should they not be following their own guidelines? Crazy time! :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...
My Specs was promoting this (hard!) last weekend. They were even getting out samples. I didn't enjoy it. Tasted young and uninteresting.

They were at it again when I went there today. I tried it and it was especially rough on the finish. I asked if they knew how old it was and the lady said she wasn't sure but she thought that bourbon only had to be aged 3 years without needing an age statement. I'm sure they'll sell a ton of it though because it's "from" Texas.

• 2 months later...

Nobody's taste is as good as mine :grin:. It seems like every bourbon out there that's more than $20 has won something there.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.