What do these guys have in common?

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was just out back doing a little reading about bourbon, when something struck me from what I was reading. Each of the following guys has something in common. Know what it is?

Besides being Master Distillers.........;)

Elmer T. Lee, Gary Gayheart, Jerry Dalton, Booker Noe, Ed Foote, Lincoln Henderson, Jim Rutledge, Ova Haney, Parker Beam, Craig Beam, Earl Beam, Bill Samuels, Joe Dangler, Jimmy Russell, Jimmy Bedford, and Ralph Dupps.

They all have an "e" in either their first or last name (well - except Ralph Dupps, but hey - they can't ALL be special, right?)

They all withdrew their applications to the GBS once they learned y'all are serious about the goat :eek: :grin:...No clue Joe but you did get me rereading my latest and now collector's edition of Bourbon, Straight last night.

They all withdrew their applications to the GBS once they learned y'all are serious about the goat :eek: :grin:...No clue Joe but you did get me rereading my latest and now collector's edition of Bourbon, Straight last night.

Well, I do know half of them have restraining orders on me, because they (especially Mr. Beam) tired of me hugging them every time I saw them.

You're on the right path, Thad. Different authors.

No, but when I read this it was very illuminating. :D

All went to school for electrical engineering? ?

No, but when I read this it was very illuminating. :D

All are a son of a master distiller, or have a son who is a master distiller? ?

Well, I gave y'all the weekend. While reading the Regan's book, "The Book of Bourbon and Other Fine American Whiskeys", I noticed a pattern in certain information contained in Chapter 5. This chapter was "Distilleries: An A to Z Guide to American Whiskey-Makers", where they wrote up a short description of each distillery. It contained info like Address, directions, whiskey brands produced, mashbills, master distiller, and....and...

How does each Master Distiller drink his whiskey?

Well according to the Regan's book, all of these guys drink their whiskey "on the rocks", and some will add water. Only Jimmy Russell responded that he drink his "neat, OR on the rocks". Considering the lengths that I read some folks here go in preparation of drinking their whiskey, I was mildly amused at the simplistic, and, I guess according to many presumptuous "armchair experts", the non-"connoisseurish" :D way in which they enjoy the fruits of their own creations.

Well, I gave y'all the weekend. While reading the Regan's book, "The Book of Bourbon and Other Fine American Whiskeys", I noticed a pattern in certain information contained in Chapter 5. This chapter was "Distilleries: An A to Z Guide to American Whiskey-Makers", where they wrote up a short description of each distillery. It contained info like Address, directions, whiskey brands produced, mashbills, master distiller, and....and...

Well according to the Regan's book, all of these guys drink their whiskey "on the rocks", and some will add water. Only Jimmy Russell responded that he drink his "neat, OR on the rocks". Considering the lengths that I read some folks here go in preparation of drinking their whiskey, I was mildly amused at the simplistic, and, I guess according to many presumptuous "armchair experts", the non-"connoisseurish" :D way in which they enjoy the fruits of their own creations.

Joe, it is a practice which is surely strongly influenced by the climates of the distilling States - mainly Kentucky but Ed Foote worked in Indiana for a time and it can be devilish hot there too.

Also, these gents are (mostly) of a certain age and in their youth, A/C was not invariable. Apart from all this, all distilleries are hot steamy places.

This is why IMO the trait you identified is typical. This is why I believe Randy B drinks his bourbon the same way - Texas is still hot A/C or no A/C, right Randy? :)

Gary

Looks like I am in good company, thanks Joe!

I usually drink my bourbon on the rock, or rocks. It's just how I prefer it in the heat. Even in winter I drink it on the rocks though, as that is how I have gotten used to it. I will consume neat if trying something new, but the standard, every day pour is cooled by ice.

Thanks, Joe. This is an example why SB is more than worth the price of membership. My practice is to taste bourbon neat, then with just a drop of water to see how it opens up, then to see how it stands up to the rocks. There is a difference between "tasting" and "drinking." I think if I had unlimited access, like these guys, to the best bourbon on the planet, I would be less concerned about "wasting" it by adding ice. Somehow, Stagg on the rocks just seems wrong. And we'll not even talk about Coke and/or ginger ale.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.