What wine are you drinking? Fall/Winter 2012

Clavius
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Figured I'd create a new thread for the new season.

Just cracked open a bottle of cheap red Bordeaux called "Baron de Luze". It's a 2009 Appelation Bordeaux Controlee. Nothing special but it's not bad.

Good call on the new thread. Last weekend for my wife's birthday we went through a number of good bottles. All were great!

NV Vilmart grand celier

91 Calera Mt Harlan Pinot

86 Mondavi Reserve Cabernet

• 1 month later...

Drank a bottle of 2008 Marques de Casa Concha Cabernet Sauvignon (by Concha Y Toro). Definitely one of the better Chilean cabs I've had lately. Worth the $17 I paid for it.

Tonight it's a bottle of Chardonnay. 2010 Cambria Chardonnay Katherine's Vineyard (Estate Grown & Bottled). Not a bad little Chard for $15.

Not exactly a wine but was test driving the Malamado port style Malbec fortified wine that will be featured after Thanksgiving dinner. Basically like a ruby port but with a bit more earthiness and spice notes on the finish while still showing its Malbec roots.

Not exactly a wine but was test driving the Malamado port style Malbec fortified wine that will be featured after Thanksgiving dinner. Basically like a ruby port but with a bit more earthiness and spice notes on the finish while still showing its Malbec roots.

It is an actual wine. All wines fall under 3 categories: sparkling, still, and fortified.

So it is. And a tasty one at that!

We don't stand much on drinking a particular wine with a certain dish. Last night for Thanksgiving it was a 2009 Crios Malbec for the red and a 2010 Marco Felluga Pinot Grigio Mongris for the white. And of course the Malamado for after dinner.

Nobody seemed much interested in bourbon, or other spirits for that matter, sticking mostly to beer, wine and assorted aperitifs. So I may have to sample the Jefferson Ocean on my own or wait for another opportunity to break it out.

Just opened a bottle of 2009 Ètim Negre. According to the label it is from Falset in Spain, near Barcelona. It's a blend of 60% Grenache, 30% Carignan and 10% Syrah aged in oak for 6 months. I paid $12 for it and to be honest it's pretty good if a little light for my taste.

On Thanskgiving we Polished off bottles of 2009 Numanthia Termes and a 2010 Educated Guess Cabernet Sauvignon

How is that Educated Guess? In great vintages, it tends to be a killer QPR

Had some Bottex Bugey-Cerdon with coq au vin. It's a sparkling Gamay, has a whiff of residual sugar, and was perfect with the dish.

Just polished off a bottle of Pinot Blanc from Black Star Farms last night. Surprisingly good. The 2011 vintage in Northern and Western Michigan is turning out to be as fantastic as expected. If you see anything from the Old Mission, Leelenau or Lake Michigan Shore AVAs with 2011 on the label, buy it.

Edited by Josh

How is that Educated Guess? In great vintages, it tends to be a killer QPR

It is fantastic for the price, whenever my wife and I find it we generally buy all we can..

Finishing off a Dr Franks 2009 Lemberger, I know the Finger Lakes are known for their Reislings but Dr Frank and a couple other wineries are putting out a lot of very drinkable reds these says

Finishing off a Dr Franks 2009 Lemberger, I know the Finger Lakes are known for their Reislings but Dr Frank and a couple other wineries are putting out a lot of very drinkable reds these says

I hear ya. Finger Lakes Lembergers(Blaufrankisch) and Cab Francs are very impressive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A 2007 bottle of Trimbach Gewürztraminer from the Alsace region of France. For a white wine this old it was still very drinkable. However the fruit seemed to be fading.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!