Crown Royal maple finish whisky!

ThomasH
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Saw this new CR version today at the store and bought my wife a bottle. CR is her favorite. It says it has a hint of maple and is finished in toasted oak barrels. Will have to have a taste test!

Thomas

Had a quick look at the CR website - no mention of the whisky actually spending time in maple wood, therefore, I have to ask:

did the whisky spend any time in barrels made of maple, or was maple syrup added to "finish" the product?;)

The website claims it was finished in "maple toasted oak" - what does that even mean?

A liquor store owner I know said the nose is like taking a whiff from a bottle of Aunt Jemima maple syrup, but that there's hardly any maple flavor to it

Sounds like i'll stick to my Tap 357 then if i want maple syrup whiskey. If i read the story correctly Diageo snagged a brand who had the "maple" thing down pat. Was curious how they'd roll out. More of a bourbon guy myself, but know my dad loves his Crown Royal might have to get him a bottle next time he's in town.

Wouldn't the technique be the same as Woodford Reserve's Maplewood finish? They use a toasted maplewood barrel.

ThomasH, I too purchased this whisky (from Fisher's in Canton) on the 29th. I haven't had a chance to open it, but the clerk claimed it had a strong maple flavor and for $24 bucks its worth a shot.

I was at the same store today and Regular Crown Royal is on sale and it and some other Diageo brands have a 25.00 rebate on 4 bottles and 50.00 rebate on 8 bottles. Will be stocking up!

Thomas

Got it in the store today, $19.99/750ml, $39.99/1.75l. Tasted it and it is smooth, but quite sweet, has a maple flavor reminiscent of some maple flavored granola. Its not bad, but too sweet for me. Also not sure about their claims, I can't tell if its finished in maple wood, or if maple flavor is added or what they've done. But so far it has sold well, sold 3 sleeves of miniatures, and some 750's will hopefully move this weekend and throughout the holidays.

Whilst the process they've used is different that the honey flavoured bourbons we've been seeing more of lately, I'm left wondering if it's their way of tapping the emerging trend/market..

Coming from a big crown royal drinker who has tasted every one released and also had a bottle from the 70s, I have to say that this was the absolute biggest disappointment for me. To me, it tasted like they simply took crown royal and added maple syrup. There is no "maple finish" its just maple. I opened it and poured a drink and after I was done the smell lingered in the air for another 10 minutes. I was contemplating mixing half the bottle with half regular crown and seeing if it knocks down the maple at all, but I didn't want to waste regular crown. If done right, it could have been so good.

Coming from a big crown royal drinker who has tasted every one released and also had a bottle from the 70s, I have to say that this was the absolute biggest disappointment for me. To me, it tasted like they simply took crown royal and added maple syrup. There is no "maple finish" its just maple. I opened it and poured a drink and after I was done the smell lingered in the air for another 10 minutes. I was contemplating mixing half the bottle with half regular crown and seeing if it knocks down the maple at all, but I didn't want to waste regular crown. If done right, it could have been so good.

Why don't you mix it in a glass with regular crown first? The. You would know if mixing the rest is worth it.

Why don't you mix it in a glass with regular crown first? The. You would know if mixing the rest is worth it.

ha, I feel dumb for not thinking about that. I must have been off my game after having a sip of the maple crown.

ha, I feel dumb for not thinking about that. I must have been off my game after having a sip of the maple crown.

I seem to be off my game more than on it myself these days. :).

• 2 weeks later...

From the reviews i had read, i was half expecting a slight maple taste and then the Crown bite...nope. If you're looking for "hot" maple syrup taste i think i still prefer Tap 357.

The website claims it was finished in "maple toasted oak" - what does that even mean?

"Maple toasted oak" sounds a lot more like marketing hype than a real process. Here's my theory after having tasted this stuff last nite.

Toasting oak barrels (by fire) adds color and flavor to whiskey. Seasoning oak with an infusion of caramel color and artificial maple flavor would also add color and flavor to the spirit exposed to it.

Crown Royal Maple Whiskey (no "Canadian" on the label that I saw) has a slight aroma of maple, but a strong bitter aftertaste reminiscent of the the taste you get with cheap pancake syrup. A taste not found in real Maple Syrup.

I wouldn't try this vile stuff again. We did discuss using it in cooking in some way. But why? If I want maple and whiskey flavor, I would rather use the real Maple syrup and bourbon.

But someone will buy this product. My buddy liked it a lot when mixed with Coke.

I picked up a mini the other day, for a buck. Not something I'd buy again. Maple flavored for sure, certainly not maple finished. Like steeltownbbq said, it has a bitter finish like a cheap maple syrup you picked up at the dollar store before you went camping. It does fine shooting it, but sipping it just brings out the unbalance of the sweet maple start and the bitter blech at the end.

Glad I've only got 25ml to work through.... :(

Generally air is the friend of most Whisky, not this time. I had a drink a week or so back and didn't care for it. Went back to try again and it tasted like spoiled cheap maple syrup. Now it's a question of toss or use to marinate. Not sure how they missed the mark this far given the R&D budget they likely have.

I saw this stuff in the store the other weekend. I wasn't a fan of the JD Honey and figured another whiskey with a flavor in it probably wasn't going to be any better. From the reviews on here, it sounds like it's not that great. Good thing I didn't pick up a bottle.

I will admit, I am a fan of Crown. I know it's not the best, but I enjoy it.

Sampled some neat and thought it was like Aunt Jemima with a splash of Crown. The smell was overpoweringly maple. If you like heavily flavored whiskies this might be something you should try.

Not something I would ever consider sipping neat again but I would wager a talented barkeep could make a wonderful hot toddy with it.

Like an idiot I bought it cause I saw it at a display right by the door. OOh, look, something new in pretty packaging!

This is not a "finished whiskey." Its a syrup bottle with a splash of liquor. There is something wrong with me.

My review is here. I like it better than most of you do. Open a bottle at a Christmas party and it will disappear.

Ironically, I think what you're getting as the bitter aftertaste is that oak finishing process. (I got them to give me a more intelligble explanation of it.) It's a bit of a raw oak flavor that finishes bitter. It's not something they use for regular Crown.

So even though they call it 'finished,' it's actually both flavored and finished. It is classified as flavored whiskey.

And while the label may not have the word "Canadian" on it, it does say "Toronto - Ontario - Canada" and there's a big stinking maple leaf right in the middle.

Edited by cowdery

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.