Crown Royal maple finish whisky!

ThomasH
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm not a big fan of Crown but I did get a chance to try this recently. While I thought it was well done it's not something I would personally buy. A tad bit too rich on the maple flavoring. But I expected far worse based upon the nose!

Is this as syrupy sweet, and similar to Spicebox? That sweetness and flavoring of that product was way too overboard for my tastes. I would try the Crown if it is much more toned down.

You won't like it. It's at least as overpowering as Spicebox. Canadian whisky is just so mild, it doesn't stand up well to flavoring. The whiskey just disappears. It might as well be flavored vodka.

Speaking of Spicebox, that's the theme of a new line of flavored Johnnie Walker whiskies.

• 4 weeks later...
You won't like it. It's at least as overpowering as Spicebox. Canadian whisky is just so mild, it doesn't stand up well to flavoring. The whiskey just disappears. It might as well be flavored vodka.

Speaking of Spicebox, that's the theme of a new line of flavored Johnnie Walker whiskies.

My BIL had a bottle of this over the Holiday's. You're absolutely correct. No whiskey taste at all. Though, I liked the taste of the flavoring more than I did the taste of the Spicebox. But, that ain't saying much, and certainly not an endorsement in any way! :D I will say, however, that I didn't hate it. Just not my cup of goo...

FWIW, I thought it tasted identical to Butterscotch Schnapps. That mess, and the bad experience associated with it, is forever burned in my brain...:puke:

I agree but I blended extra Canadian whisky (regular CC, 6 years old) and bourbon into my bottle and it is much better now. Treat it as a component of a "Rob Roy" or another type of cocktail and it works very well. What they get right, and you can't do at home, or I can't, is the vanilla and other spice flavors. So I use that as a starting point. Mine is probably 2/3rds Spicebox, 1/3rd mixed CC and bourbons. It goes great over vanilla ice cream for dessert, too.

Gary

My BIL had a bottle of this over the Holiday's. You're absolutely correct. No whiskey taste at all. Though, I liked the taste of the flavoring more than I did the taste of the Spicebox. But, that ain't saying much, and certainly not an endorsement in any way! :D I will say, however, that I didn't hate it. Just not my cup of goo...

FWIW, I thought it tasted identical to Butterscotch Schnapps. That mess, and the bad experience associated with it, is forever burned in my brain...:puke:

A BIL picked this up as a Christmas gift (he is not informed about whiskey) so I went ahead and cracked it open. Yep, maple on the nose and I did pick up Butterscotch as a flavor. It is what it is....a dessert type of pour...maybe a good addition to some vanilla ice cream.

My BIL had a bottle of this over the Holiday's. You're absolutely correct. No whiskey taste at all. :puke:

That explains why my non-whiskey friends love this stuff (and Seagram's 7 Honey) when they mix it with 7Up

Had a good friend, God bless him he tried. Said it was the only thing he could find I had not tried. I tatsted a small bit, may be good for a cold, but just too much maple. Aunt Jemima maple. I am sure this has maple flavoring and not the real deal. We make a maple liquer and maple does not smell like that in liquer if it is the real deal. My wife loves it though.

We ate at a local Italian restaurant and I noticed that one of the appetizers was bacon wrapped scallops sauteed in Crown Royal Maple Finish.

That may be a very good use because it adds to the sweetness of the scallop and the maple of the bacon. I did not order it but will consider at a future visit.

The CR Maple is doing very well and they're spending a lot of money promoting it. I do like the oak notes they got from specially treating some raw oak staves and soaking them in it. That's the only real whiskey note I can detect.

I tried this tonight at an LCBO tasting counter and counter to my expectation, thought it was very nice, especially for the price. It wasn't excessively sweet but had good maple and oaky - whisky if you will - notes. This is okay, I can see it on the rocks or neat after dinner, or after a run on the slalom perhaps lightly warmed, a la hot buttered rum.

Gary

Indeed, it's a good product and a U.S. analogue is the honeyed version of Jack Daniels. These are not drinks I might choose very often but they excellent of their kind and it should be said. (Whereas, say, Fireball, is for me way too much sugar with no whisky taste - however I can get good use out of it still by adding whisky of various kinds judiciously).

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.