2012 Bourbon of the Year---and other shout-outs...

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Retail Bourbon of the Year: PHC 2012 mislabelled 127 proof bottling.

Runner Ups and not by much: WLW '12, FR Limited Edition Small Batch, Knob Creek Reserve SB-Binny's Barrel 153, PVW 15 '12 release :grin:.

Distillery of the Year: Four Roses...more incredible considering the short time they've been back and best private barrel bourbons of the year.

Runner Up: Buffalo Trace...Pricing and NAS are drawbacks but OWA still on private barrel program make up for those sins.

The Best Lets Keep it "Shh" Bourbon: OGD 114.

The Biggest Wish: Another wheater anything close to the PHC wheater release.

The Biggest Continuing Disappointment: Wild Turkey.

The Most Trustworthy and Forthcoming Guy in the Biz: Jim Rutledge

Best Dusty: Smokinjoe's Fairfax County BIB.

Foreign Whisky: Anything Lost Pollito or Brophmonster pour me from Binny's barrel picks or Redbreast Cask.

Edited by T Comp

I

Worst Whiskey of the Year: WT Rye 81. Another shameful release from the distillery who has fallen the farthest.

This falls under the "and other shout-outs" category.

Woman of the Year - My wife Linda. She came home from work today and asked if I wanted to go to Kentucky this weekend since we both have 4 days off. After confirming that she wasn't toying with me and there were no ulterior motives, we're booked for 3 nights at the Brown Hotel in Louisville. Now I'm putting together a distillery/resturant/bar game plan while she's checking out other things to do.

I'm not worthy. (and yes, I'm fully aware that you guys who know me are nodding in agreement)

Gary

Best Bourbon I've Gotten to Try in 2012: PHC 2012, never have I gone through a comparable (proof, price, whatever) bottle so quickly, and I think that speaks volumes.

Bourbon That Very Well Might Unseat It as Best of 2012: FR Small Batch LE, which I have coming but which, thanks to the joys of living in a control state, will probably not cross my lips until 2013.

Distillery of the Year: Four Roses, whose mashbills I've managed to try four of in the form of single barrel selections (plus OBSV as the standard single barrel) in the last few months, despite not being able to buy a drop of it in Utah. Unless it's labelled "Bulleit" anyway. No one else is doing anything like they are. I'm hooked; it's impossible that I'll make it through 2013 without having had all 10.

Distillery That Made Me Start Bunkering in Earnest: Wild Turkey. 81 proof rye? Come on, guys. But I smile whenever I catch a glimpse of the bottles that will make sure I can keep drinking WT Rye 101 for quite a while. I have high hopes for the Russell's Reserve single barrel and the new Rare Breed. Here's hoping that times change for Wild Turkey in 2013.

Best Decision of 2012: Finally deciding to post on SB.com. Take note: it's WAY better than lurking.

Edited by HighInTheMtns

I though it might be interesting to weigh in on this as a bourbon neophyte. 2012 marked my entrance into the serious world of bourbon. These awards listed below are certainly my personal preferences as far as what I have tried, and what has influenced me as I started my journey with this wonderful spirit.

Best Bourbon I tried this year: Pappy Van Winkle 15 (2008). This one really opened my eyes to what a great wheated bourbon can be. I was able to purchase several bottles in the Van Winkle line up this fall, but none of them held the overall magic of what I tasted in this bottle.

Best Bourbon I purchased this year: This one is a tie for me between Jefferson's Presidential Reserve 18yr (batch 17), and Van Winkle Lot "B". Some may be surprised by the Lot "B" shout out but I love this bourbon. The dark fruity nature and balanced oak qualities really set this apart for me as far as what I was able to purchase, and that includes a nod over the PVW 20 I also got.

The One Bourbon that shocked me and changed my perception of what bourbon can be: Four Roses Single Barrel. This one really blew me away when I tried it. So different from everything else I tried this year. Like a syrup candy bomb with unique floral and spice notes that had my head spinning on every sip. What a unique and well crafted whiskey.

Distillery of the Year: For me, this goes to Heaven Hill based on two products; Elijah Craig and Evan Williams Single Barrel. To discover two bourbons of such a high standard that I can purchase any time I like, and for a reasonable price, sets this one apart for me.

Special Bourbon Award for 2012: I want to give special mention to the one bourbon that started it all for me this year - Bookers. I purchased a bottle for my boss for his birthday earlier this year and we sat down and had a few glasses. Up until this point the only bourbons I had really ever tried were a few standards like Maker's Mark and Knob Creek. One sip of Bookers and my mind was blown. So rich and powerful. Wow! Still one of my favorite pours after purchasing so many other brands. A bottle will always be on my shelf.

Best Bourbon Resource for Beginners (or anyone for that matter): Again, a tie for me between Jayson Pyle's sourmashmanifesto.com and the forums here at straighbourbon.com. I relied heavily on Jayson's reviews as I started purchasing various bottles, a well written site with thoughtful reviews. This forum here has also been so beneficial. I have started to develop a few relationships with some very knowledgeable members here, and the endless threads on various products and topics have been a joy to explore. I have gained a ton of knowledge and insight into the world of bourbon through everyone here and I thank you all.

I though it might be interesting to weigh in on this as a bourbon neophyte. 2012 marked my entrance into the serious world of bourbon. These awards listed below are certainly my personal preferences as far as what I have tried, and what has influenced me as I started my journey with this wonderful spirit.

Best Bourbon I tried this year: Pappy Van Winkle 15 (2008). This one really opened my eyes to what a great wheated bourbon can be. I was able to purchase several bottles in the Van Winkle line up this fall, but none of them held the overall magic of what I tasted in this bottle.

Best Bourbon I purchased this year: This one is a tie for me between Jefferson's Presidential Reserve 18yr (batch 17), and Van Winkle Lot "B". Some may be surprised by the Lot "B" shout out but I love this bourbon. The dark fruity nature and balanced oak qualities really set this apart for me as far as what I was able to purchase, and that includes a nod over the PVW 20 I also got.

The One Bourbon that shocked me and changed my perception of what bourbon can be: Four Roses Single Barrel. This one really blew me away when I tried it. So different from everything else I tried this year. Like a syrup candy bomb with unique floral and spice notes that had my head spinning on every sip. What a unique and well crafted whiskey.

Distillery of the Year: For me, this goes to Heaven Hill based on two products; Elijah Craig and Evan Williams Single Barrel. To discover two bourbons of such a high standard that I can purchase any time I like, and for a reasonable price, sets this one apart for me.

Special Bourbon Award for 2012: I want to give special mention to the one bourbon that started it all for me this year - Bookers. I purchased a bottle for my boss for his birthday earlier this year and we sat down and had a few glasses. Up until this point the only bourbons I had really ever tried were a few standards like Maker's Mark and Knob Creek. One sip of Bookers and my mind was blown. So rich and powerful. Wow! Still one of my favorite pours after purchasing so many other brands. A bottle will always be on my shelf.

Best Bourbon Resource for Beginners (or anyone for that matter): Again, a tie for me between Jayson Pyle's sourmashmanifesto.com and the forums here at straighbourbon.com. I relied heavily on Jayson's reviews as I started purchasing various bottles, a well written site with thoughtful reviews. This forum here has also been so beneficial. I have started to develop a few relationships with some very knowledgeable members here, and the endless threads on various products and topics have been a joy to explore. I have gained a ton of knowledge and insight into the world of bourbon through everyone here and I thank you all.

Crowes, not only is it "interesting to weigh in on this as a bourbon neophyte", it's absolutely at the heart of what this site is all about. It's all about the journey, from the beginning to total bourbon geekdom! :D If we can't hear about what's going on from those getting started and early on in the journey, and just blabber among long-time supposed "expert" participants, it simply becomes an echo chamber. How boring would that be?

:toast:

Well said Crowes and thanks for the input. It's an exciting journey shared by a lot of us and fortunately we can get together here to share our experiences.

The Most Trustworthy and Forthcoming Guy in the Biz: Jim Rutledge

Couldn't agree more Thad! Was glad to get to meet him at the All-Star Sampler at KBF!

Think my votes fall in line with many others, outside of my "foreign" preference :grin:

Bourbon of the Year: 2012 PHC (kicking myself for not buying a bottle when I had the chance!)

Best New Standard Release Bottling: Larceny (great value - especially with the intro rebates! HW Campfire comes in a close 2nd!)

Best Distillery: Buffalo Trace (if someone told me I could only have 5 bottles to drink for the rest of my life, three would be from BTAC hands down). If I'm judging based on the tour/visitor center, I'd have to go with HH (although I haven't seen the new Beam center yet).

Best Foreign Whiskey: Laphroaig 10 yr Cask Strength (what can I say - I love smokey peat! My runner-up though would be Balvenie 21 yr Portwood)

Great post, man! My journey started this year as well and I've come a long way thanks to resources like SB.com and all its members as well others out there on the web. Cheers everyone.

Bourbon of the year for me: WLW 2012

2nd: 17 year gift shop FRSB

Poor mans 17 yr gift shop is the 2012 FRSmB

Standard release: I'm going with the SB BLEND. I never tire of it

Distilery of the year: it starts with a 4

Bourbonian: that's easy: joe

Best whiskey discontinued this year: HW 21 year rye

Best whiskey discontinued this year: HW 21 year rye

I didn't know this was discontinued but I checked the HW website and it says it is now a Park City only bottle. It is still available in quantity in virtually every liquor store around here; when I see the stocks start dwindling, it's going to be hard not to buy at least a 375.

Bourbon Of Humchan's year: PHC 132 proof, no question

Best dusty find of the year: The '67 and '68 Old Fitz 2x Gallon bottles I found :)

Best Micro product I tried: Dad's Hat Pennsylvania Rye, give it a try.

Best Rye Of The Year: Rittenhouse, cuz it's the single best rye buy on the planet and I drank more of it than any other bottle

Most overpriced whiskey of the year: Whistlepig. $80 for a 10 year rye.....really?

Distillery - BT

Brand of the year - Highwest. The 36th Amendment is a revelation.

Bourbon of the Year: Four Roses Single Barrel! Yes, the regular FRSB. This bourbon breaks the rules. Its NAS and yet possibly the most consistent out there. Keep it up! I'm not giving it to PHC'12 because, while it is outstanding, when I add water all I get is EWB. In my opinion its only good because its high proof... I just think they can do better with this whiskey. I'm not giving it to any FR LE's because I didn't have any.

Best New Release: Larceny. I love this stuff.

Biggest dissapointment: anything with 95% rye in it.

Bourbonian of the Year I second the nomination for BarrelChar. I'll give Wade runner up for the Ebay thing, but BC is the winner!:cool:

Bourbon of the Year: Not new, but the best bourbon I had this year was WT Tradition.

Distillery of the Year: BT (BTAC and PVW)

Deal of the Year: Two 750ml bottles of High West 21 Yr Rye that were (mis)priced at $39.99 each at a local liquor store.

Bourbon of the Year: Not new, but the best bourbon I had this year was WT Tradition.

Distillery of the Year: BT (BTAC and PVW)

Deal of the Year: Two 750ml bottles of High West 21 Yr Rye that were (mis)priced at $39.99 each at a local liquor store.

My biggest shout-out goes to the members of the forum.

Thank all of you for the knowledge and generosity that it shared amongst all here, without some of the amazing members that are present, both past and present, this site would not be what it has become.

I'd especially like to thank the MN guys, I sincerely appreciate the information sharing that you guys give to to non-cities based dude.

B

I'll state my choices less "formally" since I haven't had notably Larceny, PHC 2012 or EC 20 yet, or HW Campfire, but the best bourbon I bought was Triple AAA (great balance and softness with an old-fashioned creosote note) with a Lot B close second (elegant, clean, brandy-like); best tasted was a 17 year 4RSB, the anniversary one from 2 years ago (pure and clean red fruit and rich taste - how does the gift shop one differ by the way?); best rye was Masterson's, pricy it's true as WhistlePig is but aged rye is at a premium these days; best distillery was 4R, with HH close second; most disappointing distillery was WT (I agree with those who found the new 81 most wanting); and most improved distillery was JD, whose honeyed expression has made a splash and whose regular line just gets better every year.

I'd give general points to the craft industry for trying - keep on keeping on guys but you are not there yet, not for what I tasted. I'll take one mature four year old bourbon or rye that can be compared to, say Old Forester 100 proof or YL, does any meet that standard? If so I'll look for it next time in the States. But I do think it's just a question of time, quite literally.

Greatest contribution to the revival of bourbon and its traditions and family of drinks: www.straightbourbon.com. The depth of knowledge and commitment here is amazing.

Gary

Edited by Gillman

I'll state my choices less "formally" since I haven't had notably Larceny, PHC 2012 or EC 20 yet, or HW Campfire, but the best bourbon I bought was Triple AAA (great balance and softness with an old-fashioned creosote note) with a Lot B close second (elegant, clean, brandy-like); best tasted was a 17 year 4RSB, the anniversary one from 2 years ago (pure and clean red fruit and rich taste - how does the gift shop one differ by the way?); best rye was Masterson's, pricy it's true as WhistlePig is but aged rye is at a premium these days; best distillery was 4R, with HH close second; most disappointing distillery was WT (I agree with those who found the new 81 most wanting); and most improved distillery was JD, whose honeyed expression has made a splash and whose regular line just gets better every year.

I'd give general points to the craft industry for trying - keep on keeping on guys but you are not there yet, not for what I tasted. I'll take one mature four year old bourbon or rye that can be compared to, say Old Forester 100 proof or YL, does any meet that standard? If so I'll look for it next time in the States. But I do think it's just a question of time, quite literally.

Greatest contribution to the revival of bourbon and its traditions and family of drinks: www.straightbourbon.com. The depth of knowledge and commitment here is amazing.

Gary

As usual. Gary... very well said. Next time you are coming down to No KY, send me a PM: I'd love to get have a pour or two with you to fill the gaps.

BTW. your assessement of Masterson's rye was spot on!

Thank you John. It was almost a certainty that I would fly into Cincinnati but at the last minute, we changed it to Louisville for reasons I won't detain you with now. This means we won't be in your area unfortunately, but can you not come down to Sampler this year? The GN still has rooms! I'll be there from the Thursday through to Sunday, with my friend Rick Radell from Toronto. Please try if you can, but I appreciate the invitation.

Gary

Bourbon of the Year is too subjective for me to offer an opinion.

However, a end O' year shout out goes to the SB community and the educational information shared regarding the brown liquid we all enjoy and have in common. Happy 2013!

In my opinion Buffalo Trace wins it with Stagg, Weller, and Handy. They hit homeruns with all three mashbills this year and it seems to be a trendline for BT with these releases. The richness and depth of the barrel proof BTACs is hard to compete with in my opinion. Their consistency of quality is also worth mentioning.

My Four Roses vote easily goes to the 17.5 year gift shop bottle. It is the best 4R I have ever had. I believe its contribution to the Mariage this year is what made that bottle special. I personally feel 4R really shines in the extra aged category and hope to see more of it down the road.

With the intensity of school increasing considerably over the past year I haven't had the opportunity to investigate many new bottles, but the best one I've had has to be PHC '12. That one has a little bit of everything going on and does it all so well. Runners-up honors go to CEHT Tornado and '12 GTS.

As for best new everyday bottle, the only one I can recall is Larceny so it gets the award by default. My REAL choice, however, would be the many OWA single-barrel selections I've tried over the past year. If only I could bring them all home! BT should just make OWA a single barrel like EWSB and highlight a different profile every year 'cause there's some amazing stuff to be had there!

For distillery of the year, it's a toss-up for me between BT and FR. They're both doing some amazing things. More BT bottles make their way onto my shelf, but I think that's probably due to availability/price.

Saddest realization - that I got into WT too late. I opened a bottle of '04 WTKS that I absolutely love, but now I'm afraid to buy anything newer after reading the reports here of the distillery's decline. I'll just have to keep my eye out for WT dusties and snap them up whenever possible.

SB gets the nod for best community. The folks here are just the best, most welcoming, and generous bunch of people anywhere. Can't wait to see everyone again in April!

Thank you John. It was almost a certainty that I would fly into Cincinnati but at the last minute, we changed it to Louisville for reasons I won't detain you with now. This means we won't be in your area unfortunately, but can you not come down to Sampler this year? The GN still has rooms! I'll be there from the Thursday through to Sunday, with my friend Rick Radell from Toronto. Please try if you can, but I appreciate the invitation.

Gary

I haven't had enough of the new 2012 releases to judge them. The best bourbon that was new to me this year was the Bowman 18. To me its as good as Stagg, VW, FR limited editions, etc. I'll give distillery of the year to Heaven Hill. HH brings great quality and value at all shelf tiers. I can go get a bottle of EW black, EC12, or EWSB anytime I want and I know it will be good and won't crush my pocketbook. I think many take for granted how good EWSB is year in and year out. At the high end, the PHC is both innovative and delicious,a difficult combination. The VOB BIB deserves some kind of award as well. I recently got a bottle and was blown away by the quality to price ratio. After one drink I immediately regretting not buying every bottle I saw. I'll give it biggest regret.

I don't have a most disappointing distillery. I'm sure WT81 sucks, but I figure its not a release targeted at me, kinda like all the 'maple black cherry bacon honey' bottles. 101 still tastes good to me. I was drinking Hi-C Ecto Cooler in the 80's though, so I can't compare it to the WT from days of yore.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.