2012 Bourbon of the Year---and other shout-outs...

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

While I haven't every top 2012 bourbon/rye yet (Eg. Stagg, WLW, VW's, etc.,), I can only comment on what I've had in 2012.

Favorite Independent Bottler/Blender: High West. While I loved the 21 & 16 year ryes, Rendezvous really knocked my socks off. They continue to push the boundaries, innovate, & I liked everything these guys put out: Campfire, Bourye, the list goes on & on

Favorite 2012 Bourbon: TPS John J. Bowman Barrel #45 (Runners Up: Vintage 17, CEHT Tornado, & FRSB OESO).

Favorite 2012 Rye: Sazerac 18 (Runners Up: High West Rendezvous & 16 year)

Favorite 2012 Blend: High West Campfire

2012 Whisky that most reminds me of drinking Chinese herbal medicine: Balcones Brimstone

Favorite 2012 Single Malt Scotch: Balvenie Tun 1401 Batch 3 (Runners Up: Talisker 18 & Ardbeg Uigeadail)

Favorite 2012 Tequila: Casa Noble 5 Year (Runner Up: Corrido Anejo)

Favorite 2012 Japanese Whisky: Hibiki 21 (Runner Up: Nikka Whisky from the Barrel)

Finally, thanks to all of you here on SB for your generosity, openness, & free exchange of knowledge! Happy New Year!

Edited by ChainWhip

Thanks for bringing up Tequila, CW. Had my mind blown in 2012 with a Clase Azul Reposado. I've drank more than a few good sipping Tequilas in my days, but, I had no idea that a Tequila could taste like that! :yum:

As a relative noob to the forum I won't try to make a selection for favorites this year with one exception. Have had the good fortune to try and enjoy many of the whiskies already noted here to include the FR SmB 2012 LE, PHC 12, Stagg, Weller and Saz 18 as well as the various HW blends which I really enjoyed.

I will say that my Favorite 2012 "finished" (or perhaps overpriced, overhyped and "ruined" in some peoples opinion :grin:) whiskey of the year is the Angel's Envy Port Finished Cask Strength.

Despite being 120+ proof it is as easy to drink as cold spring water on a hot afternoon. And just as satisfying! So much so in fact that I probably let it, and the other delightful and mostly overproof whiskey available that evening, get the best of me at the GBS Christmas Gala at Mac McGee! Too much good whiskey on a stomach that was a little too empty to start with I suspect. Haven't done that in a long time (can't remember the last time in fact) but since I wasn't driving I thoroughly enjoyed every bit of the evening.

And I too want to add my thanks to the membership of SB for the friendly welcome and wealth of knowledge and information shared here this year that has only added to my enjoyment of the continuing exploration of fine American whiskey and spirits in general.

Have a safe and Happy New Year!

Edited by tanstaafl2

Had my mind blown in 2012 with a Clase Azul Reposado.

I keep reading/hearing good things about it - may need to pick up a mini or 375ml to give it a whirl

Has anyone tried the Abraham Bowman Virginia LE, 18 y/o whiskey? Looks like it topped Chuck Cowdery's list for 2012. Thanks.

Has anyone tried the Abraham Bowman Virginia LE, 18 y/o whiskey? Looks like it topped Chuck Cowdery's list for 2012. Thanks.

I've had a bunch of it being from Virginia, it was easy to get in the ABC stores and at the distillery. The 18 year old was amazing. That batch was followed by a 17 year old that was pretty darned good but a tad under the earlier release. Those are now gone also and the new expression is an 8 year old port finished bourbon which is pretty damn good too. The Abrahams are all limited release runs. The Bowman Brothers small batch is excellent and the John J Bowman Single Barrel is really really good. One of my everyday pours.

okay, this is a VERY informative thread. I've missed the new PHC and 4R LE, and the Bowman 18yo doesn't seem available to me in Va. WTF? I need to travel more.

Retail Bourbon of the Year: PHC 2012 mislabelled 127 proof bottling.

Runner Ups and not by much: WLW '12, FR Limited Edition Small Batch, Knob Creek Reserve SB-Binny's Barrel 153, PVW 15 '12 release :grin:.

Distillery of the Year: Four Roses...more incredible considering the short time they've been back and best private barrel bourbons of the year.

Runner Up: Buffalo Trace...Pricing and NAS are drawbacks but OWA still on private barrel program make up for those sins.

The Best Lets Keep it "Shh" Bourbon: OGD 114.

The Biggest Wish: Another wheater anything close to the PHC wheater release.

The Biggest Continuing Disappointment: Wild Turkey.

The Most Trustworthy and Forthcoming Guy in the Biz: Jim Rutledge

Best Dusty: Smokinjoe's Fairfax County BIB.

Foreign Whisky: Anything Lost Pollito or Brophmonster pour me from Binny's barrel picks or Redbreast Cask.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.