Michter's Original Sour Mash Whiskey

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I can appreciate both points of view. Gary is interested to try something new. Chuck is skeptical of people that infer and obfiscate.

I expect nothing less from these two fine gentleman who are schooled in a noble profession ;).

Sorry I missed this thread. To answer a few questions and reinforce some comments here:

1. The doubler was used one batch at a time. Dick told me that what came off the column by the end of the day was condensed and put into the doubler for doubling the following day. He said it was a pain because it created a bit of a choke point in the process.

2. There is no possible way the new Michter's bought old Michter's whiskey. The bond had not been paid for many years on any of the whiskey that was aging at Michter's and so when the operation shut down in 1990, three years later the BATF had Dick and several others inventory all the whiskey. When inventory had finished, the BATF came in with large plastic troughs and drilled each barrel while it was still on the rack and used the trough to funnel the whiskey into tanker trucks. Since the bond had not been paid, the government destroyed all the whiskey by redistilling it into other products. For the new Michter's to claim they bought some of it would certainly be impossible and probably their first slip-up they can actually be nailed on. I know of no stocks that left the distillery other than the Hirsch barrels in 1988.

3. So what is this new pot still product? Does this replace the Michter's Unblended American Whiskey they have out now? Will this not taste like crap?

Certainly a violation of Truth in Labeling laws and regulations but I doubt Federal regulators are interested in going on record as defenders of the rights of whisky drinkers.

Whatever it is, it's not pot still either, unless they got it from Woodford, which is unlikely.

I was thinking the same thing. I know they're doing some touristy distillery thingy down in Louisville with a pot still, but:

1. I haven't heard anything about it actually being built or even under construction.

2. Even if it is complete or near completion, they certainly wouldn't have aged product!

I'm trying to get my hands on a bottle (Or bottles....) of this stuff. If I do, I will do a review versus some of Dick Stoll's finest from Schaefferstown, PA!! I see Party Source lists it, but of course being in PA, I can't get it shipped here (Thank you PLCB blockade.).

They're generally smart enough to not make false label claims.

The government didn't redistill anything because the government doesn't operate any stills. They would have given or, if possible, sold it to a redistiller who would have distilled it into neutral spirit, which could have used for anything neutral spirits is used for. The rumor at the time, according to Stoll and others, was racing fuel, which is a possibility, but that may also have been someone's shorthand for GNS. To use it for a beverage, i.e., vodka, the excise would have to be paid so it had to have been used for a non-beverage purpose.

There is always the possibility that there was someone else, like Hirsch, who owned some of that whiskey and had paid the excise on it, and got it out before 2/14/1990. Though possible, it's doubtful because Stoll doesn't remember anything else like that and it's never been mentioned or hinted at by anyone, including Potemkin Michter's, until recently.

Correct. From what I've been told from a few people the whiskey was taken by tanker to somewhere in Philly where it was redistilled by an industrial alcohols company- maybe Publicker? Tough to say.

It should be said that anybody in the distilled spirits business could have had that whiskey for the price of the back taxes. Nobody wanted it. Not even, I dare say, the Teamsters.

It should be said that anybody in the distilled spirits business could have had that whiskey for the price of the back taxes. Nobody wanted it. Not even, I dare say, the Teamsters.

I am wandering if Squire was perhaps suggesting that the Teamsters might have found an opportunity to sample the goods in transit. You know, just to make sure they were up to and appropriate standard of quality...

• 2 weeks later...

I am a little late to the conversation ... but great thread on Michter's Original Sour Mash. It was 16 months ago that Dick Stoll came by our distillery and spent the weekend teaching us to mash and distill on the barrel-a-day set that he used to run in the little Jug House at Michter's. What a great opportunity for me to learn from the Master. And ... the whiskey he made with us, using his Bourbon mash bill, is over a year old now, and is tasting great. It's not ready for release yet ... but ...

I am a little late to the conversation ... but great thread on Michter's Original Sour Mash. It was 16 months ago that Dick Stoll came by our distillery and spent the weekend teaching us to mash and distill on the barrel-a-day set that he used to run in the little Jug House at Michter's. What a great opportunity for me to learn from the Master. And ... the whiskey he made with us, using his Bourbon mash bill, is over a year old now, and is tasting great. It's not ready for release yet ... but ...

Thanks for checking in, and keep us informed on the progress. Looking forward to the final results!

I gave some of this new whiskey to Dick Stoll last evening to get his opinion. He did enjoy it and said it was certainly similar to what was made by him in Pennsylvania. His last remark was "Keep trying! You're getting closer!" with a chuckle. My other friends in attendance all agreed it is indeed a fine whiskey too, and probably the company's offering closest to being worthy of the Michter's name.

Ethan-

Are you referring to ohiobourbon's 16 month old bourbon or the Michter 16?

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk 2

Joe- No, I do not. I can't quite nail down the flavor profile to one distillery. It's an interesting flavor.

Chainwhip- This is neither. This is an entirely new product from Michter's. It has no age statement, but is probably 4-6 years old.

These reports are encouraging and in the direction of what I hoped might occur, i.e., something which inevitably will not be a copy of the original Michter's Original Sour Mash but which is similar in some respects and people like. I look forward to trying it.

Gary

These reports are encouraging and in the direction of what I hoped might occur, i.e., something which inevitably will not be a copy of the original Michter's Original Sour Mash but which is similar in some respects and people like. I look forward to trying it.

Gary

I'm looking forward to trying it as well and hope the price is reasonable (unlike the current overpriced Michter's bottles I see on the shelves these days).

I've never had the 10yo bourbon or rye, but I'd like to try it as I'm sure it's pretty good. Don't get me wrong about my anti- current day Michter's rants- their products are very good. It's the price and the terrible marketing I don't like. The whiskey in the bottles is fine stuff.

I've never had the 10yo bourbon or rye, but I'd like to try it as I'm sure it's pretty good. Don't get me wrong about my anti- current day Michter's rants- their products are very good. It's the price and the terrible marketing I don't like. The whiskey in the bottles is fine stuff.

Some of the 10 y/o Bourbon, when it was made by KBD was Stitzel-Weller. If the neck code has the designation 7K__, it is S-W whiskey and very good.

Joe :usflag:

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.