Michter's Original Sour Mash Whiskey

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I like it as well but I know I overpaid for my bottle. If it were higher ABV (BiB or Cask Strength), it'd really something to write home about.

I'm interested in getting my hands on some of the 10 year single barrel rye that is supposedly older than the age statement. I've seen the discussion that some of the early runs were theorized to be 18+ year Medley juice.

To the point, I've got some bottles nearby with the "Barrel 10H-2" on the neck label. Anyone know if this is any indication that could lead me towards a hidden gem? I'd usually take the plunge and decide for myself, but the price is a bit steep for me to take a blind gamble. The bottles certainly qualify as "dusty" in the most literal sense.

Edited by Trey Manthey

I revisited my bottle of new Michter's Sour Mash this evening and found it eerily similar to my bottle of Old Grand Dad 86. I never realized how close OGD 86 is to original Michter's from Schaefferstown,PA. But then again, you've got Beam yeast and process in both, they're about the same age, and they both contain a significant helping of rye. No wonder I've loved OGD all this time....

It's one of 5 Beam products I like. The other 4? Knob Creek bourbon, Knob Creek rye, Old Overholt, and Baker's. Several years ago when I had OGD BIB for the first time, it instantly became my favorite bourbon. I am almost ashamed to say it was pushed to the back of my cabinet to make room for others. The 114 and 86 iterations are wonderful too and I've recently started to revisit them more often and I've found them to be a great, inexpensive oasis in a desert of mid- and upper-shelf whiskies. Interestingly in the 4 or 5 years I've been an OGD fan, I never noticed the similarities between it and Michter's from Pennsylvania in profile. But it fits- the mashbill is somewhat similar, the age is close, and the proof and yeast are the same or similar. If OGD was slightly higher yet in rye content, used a heavy char barrel, and was aged for 6 years, we'd have probably an all but perfect match. Hopefully Beam leaves OGD alone!

Well ... now we've heard it! It was rumored that OGD might be a favorite of yours.:rolleyes:

I got a taste of it last night on the porch and my first impression was that it was a little light on it's feet. The rye stands out and it's an easy to drink pour. Perhaps too easy for me as I'd like my bourbon to fight back a bit so that I can hold to a once per hour routine. (OGD114, Squire) This one was gone in 10 minutes! My fellow porch denizens, however, were much more complimentary and I'm sure we'll be seeing it on the shelves soon. The price might make one pause.

Thanks, Ethan, for that feedback & enjoyed your blog.

Actually, OGD may be one of the few bourbons whose yeast doesn't have a Beam in its pedigree. For OGD, Beams uses the yeast National was using for the brand at the Forks of Elkhorn distillery, and not the standard Jim Beam yeast.

Actually, OGD may be one of the few bourbons whose yeast doesn't have a Beam in its pedigree. For OGD, Beams uses the yeast National was using for the brand at the Forks of Elkhorn distillery, and not the standard Jim Beam yeast.

That may well be why I think it is the best in the Beam line-up. I don't get that funky Beam yeast taste in OGD.

Joe :usflag:

I'm sorry if that's coming as news to anyone. I've known it since the 1980s when I worked on the brand. OGD, including Basil Hayden, is the OGD high rye mashbill and the National Distillers OGD yeast, presumably all the same since Repeal, as it has only had two owners, National and Beam.

I have heard it before, I think I read it in your book. I bought a Bottle of Beam white label last weekend to try as I had none in years. Tasted it side by side with a early 90's bottle. No comparison at all. But, the current bottling still is not too bad, I like young whiskey and that yeast funk.

I always wondered why OGD didn't have that Beaminess. Love that stuff !

Back to the original thread, I am impressed by the coverage Fake Michter's is getting for this. It seems like every day I see another story about it somewhere, always just a very light rewrite of the press release. It's a good story so the fact that it's not a true story doesn't seem to matter.

Someone told me on my blog that the Michter's Sour Mash is a blend of Old Forester and Rittenhouse. After making several blends, I found that a 50/50 mix is about dead on. Only the higher proof of the Rittenhouse alters the flavor slightly. So if you want $20/bottle Michter's instead of $40, buy an Old Forester 86 and a Rittenhouse BIB and mix away.

Someone told me on my blog that the Michter's Sour Mash is a blend of Old Forester and Rittenhouse. After making several blends, I found that a 50/50 mix is about dead on. Only the higher proof of the Rittenhouse alters the flavor slightly. So if you want $20/bottle Michter's instead of $40, buy an Old Forester 86 and a Rittenhouse BIB and mix away.

:mindblown: =]b

Ok, I have to try this now! (Maybe I'll use the OFBB12 instead since I have one of those open)

Sounds like one of those secret recipes but of course if they are buying higher grade blending stock that would explain the higher price.

That's very interesting! Probably the mix was intended to get the rye element close to what it was in the original Michter's Original Sour Mash (about 36% of the mash). Good thinking, the kind of thing I've been doing for years. Just did it (for a different reason) with JD and Ritt bond, but I added about 5% Maker's to give it the final rich integrated taste and smooth texture.

Gary

*If* it's actually a vatting of Old Forester and Rittenhouse, it would be kind of fun considering that up until recently both were produced at the same distillery. However, I have my doubts. Does Brown-Forman sell bulk whiskey to rectifiers? We all know HH sells bulk whiskey, but the question there is whether there is enough Ritt (or any other rye whiskey for that matter) to go around that would support such a thing. Remember, even with some brands running low or even out, most distillers still only make rye one or two days out of the year.

Well, clearly it is only a rumor at present, but the logic of it is there (to me) if that is what was done. I look forward to trying this product, hopefully on my upcoming trip to Kentucky in April I can find it. The other thing too is, can we exclude that, at certain times anyway, the original Michter's Original Sour Mash Whiskey was put together in a similar fashion, with bourbon and rye produced on site at the distillery in PA or in some cases brought in from Continental in Philadelphia or elsewhere?

Gary

Edited by Gillman

I'll just say I find this theory extremely unlikely. The fallacy comes in thinking that Fake Michter's cares if what they're selling has any factual relationship to what they're saying about it.

I will form my own judgment based on palate, when I finally taste the new one. Indeed I hope through the kindness of a previous BOTY to have a bottle of the original at the April Gazebo and I will bring the new one if it is available anywhere in the Louisville area.

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.