So, whatcha smokin?

smokinjoe

Wolfertz Aventura. German cig. Plus a Whiskey Ginger Ale, put some Old Bardstown into the glas. 

IMG_20220313_142538978_HDR.jpg

• I like it 1

On 3/13/2022 at 4:52 PM, flahute said:

Epic hat.

Thanks!  Only bring it out in the most dire situations. 🤪

Just returned from an afternoon of Tournament hoop watching, pizza, beers, and bourbon, at Mellow Mushroom Pizza with Mrssmokinjoe.  We’ve been doing this on the opening round for many years.  She’s out running it off, and my lazy ass is sitting out front with a 4R SBS and a RP 15th Anniversary toro.  At least for the short term, I win the post-party recap…😁

A1BB1948-2FAC-40AD-A768-517B98FB9647.jpeg

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 3

Perla del Mar Maduro. Great with a peruvian coffee and some Dickel 8 yo. 

IMG_20220319_143335863_HDR.jpg

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

Rocky Patel Royale toro to start things off.  This is a good smoke for a long while out in the front yard late afternoon Sun.  

687C896A-E573-4AE8-A4FB-C8EC2E898A26.jpeg

• I like it 1

I first tried the Robaina Unico in Mexico a few months ago at the recommendation of a hotel concierge who's into cigars.  He said if I liked Cuban Montecristo #2's (and I do), I'd like the Robaina's.  Boy, was he right.  I'm not sure which one I like better.  Just got a gift from a friend who was visiting Commie Island, with the box signed by the Robaina The Younger.  These are so good.  Will have to experiment with pairings.  Seemed to go well with Manhattans.

IMG_1296.JPG

• I like it 3

Punch Gran Puro, paired with a pour of Dickel 12 and watching the Masters and Caps game.

20220409_151040.jpg

• I like it 2

On 4/2/2022 at 10:41 AM, Anwalt said:

I first tried the Robaina Unico in Mexico a few months ago at the recommendation of a hotel concierge who's into cigars.  He said if I liked Cuban Montecristo #2's (and I do), I'd like the Robaina's.  Boy, was he right.  I'm not sure which one I like better.  Just got a gift from a friend who was visiting Commie Island, with the box signed by the Robaina The Younger.  These are so good.  Will have to experiment with pairings.  Seemed to go well with Manhattans.

IMG_1296.JPG

That is a great friend!

I've heard that they're great smokes.

Enjoy!

25 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

That is a great friend!

I've heard that they're great smokes.

Enjoy!

Thanks!  And yes, a very generous & considerate friend.

• I like it 1

Been a long time Fuente 8-5-8 fan.  Favorite is the maduro wrap but can be difficult to find at times.  The natural wrap is a close second.  It pairs well with the bottle of Knob Single barrel rye I recently found.  Also great with the Knob 12 year.  Nothing beats a good bourbon with a good smoke.  One habit of mine is to dip the clipped tip of the cigar in my bourbon glass.  Cools the smoke a bit adds to the cigar experience for me.  Dean

2CAB1657-47C1-41BF-84C9-CC4C3FEDB109.jpeg

• I like it 3

So I've got the longest possible time until work again. About 28 hours. So I'm having one of my favorite sticks. And of course some rye.20220409_175147_HDR.thumb.jpg.455f26a24c70d2209b89c6910b273cf8.jpg

• I like it 2

This is a solid stick. Perfect with a cup of coffee, on a chilly, cloudy day.

20220410_123239.jpg

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, FacePlant said:

A mini Nicaragua and the ever so common BT

737C141A-C7EE-4A13-9E5D-CBA57DFEF704.thumb.jpeg.1c88b59f43dbe2bdb5c63688608e6cbc.jpeg

Is that a Nicaraguan Davidoff?  I picked up some late last year and was very impressed with them.  But like so much of the bourbon we see now, I don't think they were worth the price.  But still very enjoyable. 

1 hour ago, BigRich said:

Is that a Nicaraguan Davidoff?  I picked up some late last year and was very impressed with them.  But like so much of the bourbon we see now, I don't think they were worth the price.  But still very enjoyable. 

I really like the Davidoff Nicaraguans.  Dunno if there's more nicotine or somesuch in them, they get me nearly high.  Serious buzz.

The Montecristo Nicaraguans are good.  Less spendy and less good than the Davidoffs.  Haven't made up my mind on the trade-off.

I tend to approach cigars the way I do bourbon - I don't drink or smoke during the week in general, so I'm willing to pay for good stuff when I do drink or smoke.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Anwalt said:

I really like the Davidoff Nicaraguans.  Dunno if there's more nicotine or somesuch in them, they get me nearly high.  Serious buzz.

The Montecristo Nicaraguans are good.  Less spendy and less good than the Davidoffs.  Haven't made up my mind on the trade-off.

I tend to approach cigars the way I do bourbon - I don't drink or smoke during the week in general, so I'm willing to pay for good stuff when I do drink or smoke.

I'm the say way.  I think what appealed to me about the Davidoffs is that Nicaraguan cigars tend to be a little more brash, which is a good thing, but the Davidoffs smooth that out. well.  I tend to avoid the brand because the value to price ratio just isn't there for me.  But these are very nice. 

• I like it 1

Yes it is BigRich. The little 4” size comes in a 4pk for what USED to be a nearly affordable price. Noticed Corona now has a tin 6pk for $32.50—not bad?

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, BigRich said:

I'm the say way.  I think what appealed to me about the Davidoffs is that Nicaraguan cigars tend to be a little more brash, which is a good thing, but the Davidoffs smooth that out.

My feelings exactly.  I tried a few Nicas, did not care for them and came back after I tried the Davidoff.  It seems like others are having some success smoothing them out.

2 hours ago, FacePlant said:

Yes it is BigRich. The little 4” size comes in a 4pk for what USED to be a nearly affordable price. Noticed Corona now has a tin 6pk for $32.50—not bad?

I got a chuckle out of the nearly affordable price comment.  My memory of cigars dates to when a really expensive good cigar was a dollar.  I know times changed long ago.

• I like it 1

On 4/11/2022 at 1:22 PM, Sven Heuchert said:

Crowned Heads Four Kicks and nice cold Meckatzer Gold. 

IMG_20220326_151851185_HDR.jpg

How do you like it?

I've had a few Crowned Head sticks in the past, but it's been a while.  I see them on sale, occasionally, and they seemed reasonably priced.

Out back listening to Braves on the radio getting pounded by the Padres. Regardless of that debacle,  a Monte White Series is a nice smoke in front of the fire to keep it real.  

C4C51094-E8E0-4D0D-B7EE-9791551EEE9A.jpeg

• I like it 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/15/2022 at 12:03 AM, smokinjoe said:

Out back listening to Braves on the radio getting pounded by the Padres. Regardless of that debacle,  a Monte White Series is a nice smoke in front of the fire to keep it real.  

C4C51094-E8E0-4D0D-B7EE-9791551EEE9A.jpeg

Those are sooooo smooth.  Always a good smoke.

On 4/13/2022 at 2:36 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

How do you like it?

I've had a few Crowned Head sticks in the past, but it's been a while.  I see them on sale, occasionally, and they seemed reasonably priced.

My favourite cigars. They are pretty pricey in Germany (in the 12-16 Euro range) but they are worth it. I have smoked nearly all of the vitolas they offer, and they are all very good. I never had a bad cig like I had with the cubans. I think you do pay a little for their branding as well, but hey, thats how it works. 

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Sven Heuchert said:

My favourite cigars. They are pretty pricey in Germany (in the 12-16 Euro range) but they are worth it. I have smoked nearly all of the vitolas they offer, and they are all very good. I never had a bad cig like I had with the cubans. I think you do pay a little for their branding as well, but hey, thats how it works. 

Whoa!! That is pricey!

Cuban cigars these days vary so widely in quality, that I don't bother anymore.  Too many hoops to go through for what often ends in poorly constructed sticks with tight draws.    Some of my cigar brethren who smoke Cubans, almost exclusively, (and buy them by the box), don't seem to mind and must figure that taking a chance on a few bad smokes is worth it.      Not to me.     While there may be some great CC's out there, I'm not willing to jump through the hoops, or pay the outrageous prices, for the privilege.     There are far too many great cigars from other countries that are as good as, and better than, Cubans.

• I like it 2