"Article" about Larceny creates my question about Old Fitzgerald

SFS
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I got my issue of The Bourbon Review today (which is a periodical I can't really recommend, but it was a Christmas present). There is an puff piece on the Larceny "backstory". In it, the HH director of corporate communications (Larry Kass) is attributed with quashing "rumors that Larceny would eventually replace Old Fitzgerald, saying Heaven Hill will continue to produce Old Fitz for those half a dozen or so markets where it continues to be popular" (emphasis added).

Is it true that current day Old Fitz is only available in a few markets? Are any of those near Florida? While I am slowly combing through the multiple "Dusties" threads to make my own personal "I'll be on the lookout for these" list, I was hoping to taste the present day version of this product, because of all the attention the name gets here on SB, but I've not seen it anywhere so far. (Though I've not yet undertaken my inaugural dusty hunting trip.)

As an afterthought, one more question: Is Larceny widely available as well? I've not seen it either, though there is plenty of a bourbon called Breaking and Entering around here.

Edited by SFS

I recall reading Larceny would only be distributed in select markets. Plenty of it and the OF BIB around Chicago area.

Beat me to it. They are both stocked at my local liquor store. I haven't tried Larceny yet, though.

So do we have any info on the 12 or so markets were Old Fitz is still available? Do we have any reason to believe that Larceny will or will not be distributed more widely than Old Fitz?

Larceny isn't available everywhere (it's not available here) but I believe their plan is to expand the distribution. I think that in this case they'll probably continue the Old Fitz labels as is... While obviously Larceny means there are more labels to spread the distilled and aged whiskey between, HH certainly has the capacity to have ramped up wheater production some years back when it became clear that wheaters were on the rise. And it's not like Larceny is horribly expensive - less than VSOF, more than Prime and BIB, I think it fits nicely as a line expansion.

I anticipate a wider distribution for Larceny than Old Fitz, if it isn't that way already. It's more marketable.

In Wisconsin, there's plenty of BIB and 80pr, but no 1849 or 12yr. Also, Larceny is not in Wisconsin.

Larceny is available here too. I like it. 92 proof, a little sweet, with caramel and brown sugar. Nice longish finish that doesn't have any bad qualities. As a bonus, they have a $20.00 rebate on a 1.75ltr. That makes it $15.34 per 1.75ltr.

Good and inexpensive.

I haven't seen old Fitz in NY but we have plenty of Larceny.

Lazer, while that does describe NY, I think they were talking about bourbon...:lol:

Larceny is available here too. I like it. 92 proof, a little sweet, with caramel and brown sugar. Nice longish finish that doesn't have any bad qualities. As a bonus, they have a $20.00 rebate on a 1.75ltr. That makes it $15.34 per 1.75ltr.

Good and inexpensive.

And where is here, Pirate. Your profile doesn't say.

We don't get the Larceny out here though I did see a lone bottle of Old Fitz a while back. It was the 12 year I think. Ended up buying all of my stock through TPS.

Larceny is not in IN yet and no 1849 or VSOF, but plenty of OF Prime and BIB. Picked up a family-sized Larceny last time I was in KY and still trying to wrap my taste buds around it. At one moment I get EW and at another I get Bernheim Wheat. It's like HH and wheat just can't fully integrate. :confused:

The July 23, 2012 press release from Heaven Hill says "for 2012 Larceny will be available...in California, Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Missouri, North Carolina, New York, South Carolina, Texas and Virginia".

We have old fitz upstate. It is about as green as you can buy. I like that sort of whiskey though. I was not crazy about larceny when I bought the first bottle, but it has really opened up now. Wheated bourbon needs air. If I pull a sample of ours out of the barrel, it takes a while before I can nose it and tell how it is doing. Mst of the time it needs to sit out partially covered overnight.

They have Old Fitz in SC. I haven't tasted it in its current iteration in quite some time. I don't get all of the hoopla surrounding Larceny. It's so out of profile of what a wheater should be IMO. I get mint and grass in the profile of Larceny. Those flavors are significantly amplified if I have a pour of Larceny soon after having a pour of OWA. I gifted my partially opened bottle of Larceny away.

They have Old Fitz in SC. I haven't tasted it in its current iteration in quite some time. I don't get all of the hoopla surrounding Larceny. It's so out of profile of what a wheater should be IMO. I get mint and grass in the profile of Larceny. Those flavors are significantly amplified if I have a pour of Larceny soon after having a pour of OWA. I gifted my partially opened bottle of Larceny away.

I see exactly where you're coming from Rod, on the taste profile. The Larceny is an entirely different animal from the Weller line. The Wellers are much more sweetish, and more rounded, with a very big finish for a wheated bourbon (particularly the OWA). Larceny is more like a MM, IMO, in it's taste profile. Softer. I do happen to dig the Larceny, though.

I see exactly where you're coming from Rod, on the taste profile. The Larceny is an entirely different animal from the Weller line. The Wellers are much more sweetish, and more rounded, with a very big finish for a wheated bourbon (particularly the OWA). Larceny is more like a MM, IMO, in it's taste profile. Softer. I do happen to dig the Larceny, though.

Joe... Curious here. Have you followed OWA with a pour of Larceny, or when sipping Lacreny do you usually stick with it?

Joe... Curious here. Have you followed OWA with a pour of Larceny, or when sipping Lacreny do you usually stick with it?

I usually go through such a bouillabaisse of whiskies on a given night, that I'm sure I have!! :D But, I'll give it a learned go this evening, to see how they compare back-to-back.

I usually go through such a bouillabaisse of whiskies on a given night, that I'm sure I have!! :D But, I'll give it a learned go this evening, to see how they compare back-to-back.

Sounds good. I'd be curious to know your thoughts.

I have never noticed Old Fitzgerald in TX, but we have Larceny.

I think the OWA and WL Weller 12 are both better bourbons when I am looking for something specific, but the Larceny is something I could really enjoy anytime. It has joined BT and WLW 12 as bourbons to always keep a handle of around. I happened to have my bottles of WSR, OWA, WLW 12, and Larceny all down to a couple oz at the same time, so I went ahead and mixed them. I found it very interesting, I may keep doing that with my wheaters.

Yeah, the leftovers blend can be surprisingly good. Of course if it's not I just serve it toward the end of the party when taste buds are less demanding.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.