Balcones: Next stop, world domination?

timd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

These criticisms, if that's what they are, should be directed at the award promoters, not at Balcones. I have no doubt that in every case they have followed the competition's rules in terms of what they've submitted. You'll notice that I rarely mention awards in my writings, except to say how little I think of them. At the same time, I have had the experience of criticizing awards until I win one, then I think they're great. It's a natural and largely attractive human instinct to pat each other on the back, so let's lighten up a bit.

I'm also not sure why it's automatically suspect or a negative if people are getting awards for products that are not, or not yet, available at retail. Again, if you think there should be a competition that only judges stuff that's on the retail shelves, start one. You don't get to tell other people how to run their contests.

I have no problem with entering a product that isn't available to the public, and I would never assume they are bending the rules in any way. What I do have a problem with is the way the awards are being presented to the public. They need to be clear the awards are for what they are capable of, and not awards for their retail products. It is more of a whiskey making award. Its like an auto or bike builder entering a one-off product in a show. They are winning an award for what they are capable of, not what they sell to the public. I still find it informative, as some of the details might trickle down into production.

Just be clear the awards are for a showcase of your abilities, not products available at retail.

And to whoever questioned whether the whiskeys in question were "honey" barrels, that is just absurd. It is just as likely that Chip closed his eyes, and randomly selected the barrel from his inventory. To be fair, only having one barrel of each does limit the randomness, but lets not jump to conclusions.

Indeed the awards are a testament to our capabilities. The only reason these aren't regular expressions is because we don't have the capacity to take away from our core portfolio at this time. Now, think about all the cool stuff we're gonna do when we have the new distillery...

To the analogy that someone made earlier likening us to making a movie and not releasing it... I'd say these experimental whiskies are more of a teaser-trailer for what we will do :) The full show has yet to be made!

So... I just got my Balcones Texas Single Malt sample in today (53%, Batch 8M12-10, 12/13/12) - this is much improved over my last try at this expression a year ago. It still tastes young-ish but is worth consideration IMHO. Just out of curiosity, where do you guys source the barley from? Do you malt it yourselves?

Extremely old school. Only other place in the U.S. that I've seen the brick surround is George Washington's Distillery at Mount Vernon. Are they going to be direct-fired? Using what? Firebox looks too small for wood.

You guys are insane in the best possible way.

So... I just got my Balcones Texas Single Malt sample in today (53%, Batch 8M12-10, 12/13/12) - this is much improved over my last try at this expression a year ago. It still tastes young-ish but is worth consideration IMHO. Just out of curiosity, where do you guys source the barley from? Do you malt it yourselves?

The malt is sourced from a farm in Scotland, we don't do the malting ourselves (no room)

Extremely old school. Only other place in the U.S. that I've seen the brick surround is George Washington's Distillery at Mount Vernon. Are they going to be direct-fired? Using what? Firebox looks too small for wood.

You guys are insane in the best possible way.

Haha awesome! To answer your question we are using gas

What about w the expansion? Room to do it at that time or still plan on sourcing the malt?

What about w the expansion? Room to do it at that time or still plan on sourcing the malt?

I've heard Chip say he's quite satisfied with our maltster. No plans to do our own malting, though we are exploring the idea of sourcing some Texas barley one day

I've heard Chip say he's quite satisfied with our maltster. No plans to do our own malting, though we are exploring the idea of sourcing some Texas barley one day
BW can you buy Balcones in Arkansas?

Since day one :)

Thanks Winston - I'm starting to come around on this Texas Single Malt I got in a sample trade... almost enough to wrangle a bottle in for the home bar.

So is hey lets hammer out a still and compete with the big guys but apparently that hurdle has been cleared.

So is hey lets hammer out a still and compete with the big guys but apparently that hurdle has been cleared.

:slappin:LMFAO here.

lol :) speaking of, I haven't seen what the distillery looks like now! I haven't been in Waco since Monday

• 2 weeks later...

Haha. Well keep in mind funds were short when we first started out, we built the stills out of necessity more than anything else. We basically got our stills for 1/10th of what it would have cost us to have someone else build them...

BTW here's an updated pic:

coKYRZZ.jpg

Edited by Balcones Winston

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.