Balcones: Next stop, world domination?

timd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As usual, i appreciate your candor. I just hate buying 3 hours away from home and not supporting my local shop wherever possible, or jumping on to another brand out of frustration.

I understand your frustration. I know this isn't the ideal solution, but if you really want to get your hands on a bottle, you can search for a retailer that ships to you via www.1000corks.com

I will be picking up a bottle of Baby Blue tomorrow, hopefully, if the order comes in.

This will be my first experience with the Balcones line.

I will be picking up a bottle of Baby Blue tomorrow, hopefully, if the order comes in.

This will be my first experience with the Balcones line.

So I don't have to start a new thread, I will just mention here that we were recently named Whisky Magazine's 2014 Icons of Whisky – Craft Whisky Distillery of the Year.

This is actually the second time we gotten the award in the three years it has been running…

So I don't have to start a new thread, I will just mention here that we were recently named Whisky Magazine's 2014 Icons of Whisky – Craft Whisky Distillery of the Year.

This is actually the second time we gotten the award in the three years it has been running…

Congrats. However, isn't "Craft Whisky Distillery of the Year" sort of like "Special Olympics"?

Congrats. However, isn't "Craft Whisky Distillery of the Year" sort of like "Special Olympics"?

If you want to think about it that way. This is one of nearly 100 accolades the distillery has received in just 5 years, including Global Distiller of the Year by the Wizards of Whisky

Global Distiller of the Year has a certain ring to it.

The fact the award came from "wizards of whisky" gives it a certain ... WOW!!! factor :slappin:

Edited by portwood

• 2 weeks later...

Opened my first bottle of True Blue last night and man does this have some kick! Had three delicious pours.

Probably coming late to the game here but have you made it up this way (WA state) or do you have plans to anytime soon? My wife and I enjoy supporting the smaller distillers (we really enjoy Woodinville Whiskeys products) and your products sound right up our alley, especially the single malt. Sadly the local stores only have a few of your releases and they tend to be quite pricey, the single malt is ~$85 after taxes! I want to order some from out of state but don't know where to start so I figured a tasting would be an awesome way to figure it out!

Hey, it does not hurt to ask, right? :)

We do need to make our way up to Seattle soon... just don't know when at this point. Probably first quarter next year.

Picked up the Single Malt and True Blue last week. I had a few pours of each and still trying to figure out what I think of the Single Malt. I do think the True Blue is very interesting and tasty.

Last night I shared my next to last pour of the Single Malt with a friend. I just couldn't bring myself to finish the bottle off entirely yet. I'm going to miss it when it's gone.

Last night I shared my next to last pour of the Single Malt with a friend. I just couldn't bring myself to finish the bottle off entirely yet. I'm going to miss it when it's gone.

You can always come up to the distillery and get a bottle when we do our next sales event this month :)

As I told Winston off-line, I got a taste of their bourbon and it's outstanding. Unfortunately, they didn't make very much of it, don't have any in the pipeline, and don't have any immediate plans to make it again. I bring this up because upon tasting some of their mainline products, I would say the True Blue Corn is the one bourbon fans should try. It's not bourbon but it's more like bourbon than it is like what you usually expect corn whiskey to be.

Thanks Chuck! That says a lot coming from you.

In addition to True Blue, I'd recommend any bourbon drinker also try our single malt.. it's the malt whisky for people who think they don't like malt whisky :D

And of course, Rumble Cask Reserve is equally fantastic, despite not being a whisky at all. Some have described it as something like an aged rye and an Armagnac having sex on their tongue

I guess what I'm getting at with all this is don't pigeonhole a whisky just because it's not bourbon or rye. You might be surprised at what you find.

Edited by Balcones Winston

Thanks Chuck! That says a lot coming from you.

In addition to True Blue, I'd recommend any bourbon drinker also try our single malt.. it's the malt whisky for people who think they don't like malt whisky :D

And of course, Rumble Cask Reserve is equally fantastic, despite not being a whisky at all. Some have described it as something like an aged rye and an Armagnac having sex on their tongue

I guess what I'm getting at with all this is don't pigeonhole a whisky just because it's not bourbon or rye. You might be surprised at what you find.

I really enjoyed the Rumble Cask but it's not easy to find around these parts.

I don't think it's easy to find anywhere! We only produce about 100 bottles per year

Didn't know it was quite so uncommon. I picked up one about a month ago but it was marked as the "ATL Edition" and dated from May 2012. Have been meaning to give it a try but haven't done so yet. Perhaps there will be a good occasion coming up soon in early November...

post-8493-14489819857216_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489819856979_thumb.jpg

Didn't know it was quite so uncommon. I picked up one about a month ago but it was marked as the "ATL Edition" and dated from May 2012. Have been meaning to give it a try but haven't done so yet. Perhaps there will be a good occasion coming up soon in early November...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16706[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]16707[/ATTACH]

Lol I've never even heard of that. But it was before I started with the distillery...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.