What do you do when you're in a bourbon rut?

compliance
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm in a rut! I haven't been enjoying bourbon as much lately. It seems like all my open bottles are boring, even the barrel proofers taste like ordinary bourbon where they raised the proof to slap a premium on it. I got no BTAC to break up the year with something special, but I'm not even sure that would have helped. Maybe I'm out of new bourbon experiences to explore and its getting to me. I could try to cut back my consumption so it feels special again, but currently I've been having more scotch evenings. Those are satisfying, but I still feel like something is different. What do you do?

There's always the craft distillers, Canadian, Irish, Japanese, cognac, armagnac, fruit brandies...you get the idea. Theres a whole world of distilled spirits out there. Branch out. Try something different. Maybe you'll find a new love. Maybe it will make you fall in love with our bourbon all over again.

Not only do I have several different Bourbon expressions opened to choose from, I also have various expressions of Scotch to choose from (yes, including peated, yum). If a whisk(e)y doesn't quite seem right, I'll reach for a craft beer.

I try to make my libation experiences never boring and always intriguing and interesting.

Sometimes it's good to take a break. When I'm not "feeling it" with bourbon or scotch, I turn to Tequila for a change of pace. :cool:

I've been slowly adding more single whiskeys to my stable to shake things up and my next couple of purchases will likely be Japanese whiskeys.

Gin is actually interesting again, lots of different stuff to try these days. Check out the St George offerings. New cocktails and perfecting old ones can make your bourbon interesting again.

I drink beer. Never really a conscious decision, my consumption just kind of ebbs and flows between the two.

This happens to me too. I switch over to cocktails and imperial stouts. Eventually I swing back to bourbon.

Gin is actually interesting again, lots of different stuff to try these days. Check out the St George offerings. New cocktails and perfecting old ones can make your bourbon interesting again.

There is a relatively new gin out that is quite intriguing, along the line of Hendricks. It's called Greenalls, and it is not very expensive (maybe $29 for a 1.75?). Very nice, non-standard gin. It has an even newer big brother, called Bloom, but that one is too floral for me. Greenalls makes great cocktails, but can also be consumed on the rocks, which is the way we drink it.

I've done some of the branching out thing. The problem with that is there isn't much that's as good as bourbon to begin with :cool:

Gin is an interesting suggestion. I noticed they seem to be making gins with a lot of different ingredients thrown in now. Is gin more interesting than pine trees these days?

Edited by compliance

I drink beer. Never really a conscious decision, my consumption just kind of ebbs and flows between the two.

This is a sensible approach. :cool:

I've been slowly adding more single whiskeys to my stable to shake things up and my next couple of purchases will likely be Japanese whiskeys.

Scotch??? Never heard of it. Is it from America?

I don't know if this will be an annual thing, but the last two years I've lost anywhere from half to 80% of my olfactory through the holidays. I haven't "enjoyed" any of my bourbon since early December. It usually starts with a head cold, but I haven't felt under the weather since before Christmas (and even last night, my Glencairn might well have been a rocks glass as I got nothing from nosing what should have been a great 4RSB).

Now if it really is just boredom, I like the suggestions of expanding horizons. I had been trying more single malts as well before my nose went on strike.

I do one of two options. First is to drink no bourbon, usually no alcohol for a few days, but plenty of water. Slowly introduce cheap beer. After a few days I'm back on the bourbon train with no problems. This option usually happens organically after indulging quite a bit too much in one night.....

The second is to find a cheap, satisfying pour like Old Forester Signature. Consume only that until your rut is over. I usually want to branch out after a few days and see what else I find appealing.

For me an old favorite bourbon can have new life when matched up with the right food or Cigar. When I get into a rut I try to eat foods that complement bourbon so I can enjoy the two together. This usually means I pull the grill out and make some mean BBQ for dinner and have some bourbon. For desert the wife will have some dark chocolate with red wine and I have some with more bourbon.

My two recommendations would be:

A. Abstain until you crave some bourbon.

Or

B. Set your sights on a hard to find bottle that you love unquestionably, and hope that the thrill of the chase gets you back on the horse.

I often walk away from whiskey all together for a week or so on a regular basis,I fill the void the reading of books or other materials.I am often surprised what the power of suggestion has done to reawaken my interest in the hobby.When you read something new you often have to go out and try it an it begins to be fun all over again.

I'm in a rut! I haven't been enjoying bourbon as much lately. ... What do you do?

Lordy. I hope this never happens to me. There are a few thousand $ worth of noteworthy bottles on my shelves & under tables at home and in the office (and some in my trunk). Most are unopened. My challange is trying to forecast the end of life so that I can get started and finish both the stash and life at approximately the same time!

Here's a suggestion: Start visiting the typical bars that offer only Jack Daniels, and one more whatever. Order one of those dozen offerings of Grey Goose and try to spike it up with olives, lemon peels and onions. Then switch over .. as some have suggested .. to those wonderful gins .. and .. if you're still off bourbon .. dive into the peat.

If you're not back to the wonderful complexity and all-American juice of the Master Distillers of Kentucky by now .. I would suggest gravitating to a board where they discuss wierd sex, boar hunting or saskwatch.

My sympathies & deepest condolences. I hope you pull through this and know that we are family. :skep:

Lordy. I hope this never happens to me. There are a few thousand $ worth of noteworthy bottles on my shelves & under tables at home and in the office (and some in my trunk). Most are unopened. My challange is trying to forecast the end of life so that I can get started and finish both the stash and life at approximately the same time!

Here's a suggestion: Start visiting the typical bars that offer only Jack Daniels, and one more whatever. Order one of those dozen offerings of Grey Goose and try to spike it up with olives, lemon peels and onions. Then switch over .. as some have suggested .. to those wonderful gins .. and .. if you're still off bourbon .. dive into the peat.

If you're not back to the wonderful complexity and all-American juice of the Master Distillers of Kentucky by now .. I would suggest gravitating to a board where they discuss wierd sex, boar hunting or saskwatch.

My sympathies & deepest condolences. I hope you pull through this and know that we are family. :skep:

This could possibly be categorized as a classic post. Well said with great entertainment value!!

This could possibly be categorized as a classic post. Well said with great entertainment value!!

"Possibly" be catagorized as a classic post??? If this isn't a classic post, I've never seen one! :lol:

Max, the solution is simple. Instead of drinkin' your whiskey neat or on the rocks, make some simple syrup, buy a good orange, and make a bourbon old fashioned with top shelf bourbon....and don't forget to flame the orange peel when you drop it in the glass. If THAT doesn't get you reenergized on bourbon, let me know and I'll swing by to pick up all the bottles you no longer need :)

Not only do I have several different Bourbon expressions opened to choose from, I also have various expressions of Scotch to choose from (yes, including peated, yum). If a whisk(e)y doesn't quite seem right, I'll reach for a craft beer.

I try to make my libation experiences never boring and always intriguing and interesting.

Ditto. I sometimes find myself craving bourbon after dinner, only to pour a nice glass and be underwhelmed for some odd reason. If the bourbon/single malt/Irish whiskey/tequila ain't doing it, a nice craft beer nearly always does the trick. Sometimes you just gotta change things up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.