What do you do when you're in a bourbon rut?

compliance
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Max, the solution is simple. Instead of drinkin' your whiskey neat or on the rocks, make some simple syrup, buy a good orange, and make a bourbon old fashioned with top shelf bourbon....and don't forget to flame the orange peel when you drop it in the glass. If THAT doesn't get you reenergized on bourbon, let me know and I'll swing by to pick up all the bottles you no longer need :)

That's exactly what I do to shake things up (and is incidentally the way I got myself into bourbon a few years ago... gotta love old fashioned cocktails). Even do the flamed orange peel sometimes too. :)

And please let me know if you need help alleviating the whiskey stock from our friend Max... I'll be glad to help. ;)

Enjoying whiskey can cause fatigue. Sometimes I just want "a drink" that tastes good enough, relaxes the mood, etc. And I feel like it's wasted on good whiskey. Sometimes that feeling lasts for several days or longer. I might drink rum or a disposable whiskey like white label beam with diet coke. A good stout or IPA works wonders. And I really like drinking black russians, especially during the winter time.

I double the usual shot. :)

No actually I will usually have another spirit, rum probably, or if not that, a malt, gin or vodka.

Gary

Sometimes, I just don't have the desire to drink. There's no shame in taking a few days, weeks, or maybe a month off.

Sounds like you need to liquiidate your entire bourbon bunker to get over this. As President (OK, co-president of the Georgia Bourbon Society ) , I propose that we take all bourbons off your hands at no charge. We're here to help. I'll PM address later. Don't wait . The problem will only get worse.

I'm in a rut! I haven't been enjoying bourbon as much lately. It seems like all my open bottles are boring, even the barrel proofers taste like ordinary bourbon where they raised the proof to slap a premium on it. I got no BTAC to break up the year with something special, but I'm not even sure that would have helped. Maybe I'm out of new bourbon experiences to explore and its getting to me. I could try to cut back my consumption so it feels special again, but currently I've been having more scotch evenings. Those are satisfying, but I still feel like something is different. What do you do?

Max, the solution is simple. Instead of drinkin' your whiskey neat or on the rocks, make some simple syrup, buy a good orange, and make a bourbon old fashioned with top shelf bourbon....and don't forget to flame the orange peel when you drop it in the glass. If THAT doesn't get you reenergized on bourbon, let me know and I'll swing by to pick up all the bottles you no longer need :)

I went for this tonight. Used a fresh orange from my inlaws back yard and some PHC '12. Any hints for flaming the peel? I held a lighter up to it for a bit. This is ok. I think i need some tips, the internet recipe is a little bare bones. You know what would really get me excited for bourbon? Some 60's Old Fitz from a 5 gallon jug ;)

I went for this tonight. Used a fresh orange from my inlaws back yard and some PHC '12. Any hints for flaming the peel? I held a lighter up to it for a bit. This is ok. I think i need some tips, the internet recipe is a little bare bones. You know what would really get me excited for bourbon? Some 60's Old Fitz from a 5 gallon jug ;)

Sorry to hear that bourbon isn't currently doing it for you. Here lately I have been 180 from where you are, everything is tasting good. I am enjoying my premium bottles as well as my bargain pours. Tonight I am really enjoying EWB, I keep a bottle in my kitchen for cooking and mixing, because I was too lazy to walk the 12 steps down to my lower level bar to pour a glass from one of my prized bottles. Since I have never been in a "rut" I have no words of wisdom for you but I offer my best wishes that in short time you again find your bourbon collection enjoyable.

Cheers

When I'm in a bourbon rut I simply read Squire's posts in the "What Bourbon are you drinking today?" thread, and I soon realize there are ruts, and then there are canyons. I begin feeling better immediately!! ;)

I go to a Manhattan if nothing on the shelf jumps out at me. Another strategy is to go for the bottle you're most disappointed with. Sometimes the low expectation helps. Even if not, it will improve your next pour.

Glad to be of service Joe . . . having reached Bourbon Nirvana I should extend a helping hand.

Haha, touche.

Squire's posts about Barton cocktails make me jealous --- can't get that brand around here (without special order, anyway).

Squire's posts about Barton cocktails make me jealous --- can't get that brand around here (without special order, anyway).

Likewise here, and his devotion to the brand has me extremely curious about that juice.

Glad to be of service Joe . . . having reached Bourbon Nirvana I should extend a helping hand.

Thanks, Squire. As you know, just playin'. Like I said to you a couple of months ago, we should all be so lucky to one day experience your blissful contentment.

:toast:

A whiskey sour is a nice change: 2 oz bourbon, 1oz simple strip, 3/4 oz lemon juice, 1/2 egg white. Whisk all except bourbon with a milk frothier, add bourbon and ice to the shaker, and shake! I usually have to make 2of these for someone who's not had one before!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.