Current PVW Prices 2012/2013

smknjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have to ask: how much did you pay or have you seen PVW for recently? I saw some for $500.00 a bottle and was not interested at that price. Are people actually paying that much? And when I say people I mean us (the "connoisseurs".) I know many of you have been fortunate enough to have snatched some up several years ago when the prices for all years were still well under $100, but what is the current going rate. I emailed ORVW a couple of months ago asking about the price of the 15yr. and got a reply that they should be close to $80 in the fall of 2013. What should the retail price of the 20 and 23 really be? Does anybody ever get a fair retail price, or is the demand so high we will gladly plop down $1000.00 for two bottles of bourbon?

The prices here in November were:

ORVW 10/107 $49

Lot B $69

15 yo about 80

20 yo $150 ish

23 you $229, but my store only got one bottle, and it was apparently "pre sold"

My bottle of ER17 was $65.

I bought a bottle of ORVW 10/90 in Las Vegas first week of December, and I think I only paid $30 for it.

I'd say the demand is there Worldwide. Look at what's happened to Johnnie Walker Blue, it's become a regular offering at $250 per.

Does YSL make the best hand bag? Is Rolex really the best watch? Once the image is established a brand is worth what people are willing to pay.

I'm still surprised to see prices like that and that somebody is willing to pay it. I'll keep mozying along...

I got a bottle of Lot B for $52 at TPS in December. They've always been very fair with pricing though.

In CA our bevmo/totalwine/big liqour stores had

10/107 - $34.99

lot B - $59.99

PVW 15 - 89.99

PVW 20 - 139.99

pvw 23 - 229.99 (maybe 239.99)

13 rye - 74.99

All BTAC are $79.99.

Private liquor stores I have seen

lot B - 89.99

13 rye - 179.99

pvw 15 - 139.99

pvw 20 - 249.99

pvw 23 - 399.99

In CA our bevmo/totalwine/big liqour stores had

10/107 - $34.99

lot B - $59.99

PVW 15 - 89.99

PVW 20 - 139.99

pvw 23 - 229.99 (maybe 239.99)

13 rye - 74.99

That all sounds very reasonable. Anybody near a bevmo want to ship me a PVW20 with a GTS and WLW to keep it company? :cool:

These prices sound fantastic, but can you actually buy anything at these prices. What have you actually seen it for in the wild.

These prices sound fantastic, but can you actually buy anything at these prices. What have you actually seen it for in the wild.

Yes, those lower tiered prices are out there. It comes down to some work, sleuthing, luck and proximity.

I was able to pick up one of everything this past release at the prices mentioned above. They are out there at those prices, you just need to know when and where in order to purchase.

FYI these prices represent a $10 increase on the 15, 20, $5 on the VWFRR and lot B

I picked up the 15 for $80, 20 for $120 and the 23 for $159 not including taxes.

That's a good price for the 23. Enjoy

I'm glad to see that reasonable prices can be had. I would pick up a bottle or 2 at $80 - $160 if I liked it. At $500 it seems more like a "wall hanger."

That all sounds very reasonable. Anybody near a bevmo want to ship me a PVW20 with a GTS and WLW to keep it company? :cool:

I was able to pick up whichever ones I wanted. I knew what day they were getting released and showed up 15 minutes after the store opened. There was no line or anything, but it is one bottle of each per customer.

I have to ask: how much did you pay or have you seen PVW for recently? I saw some for $500.00 a bottle and was not interested at that price. Are people actually paying that much? And when I say people I mean us (the "connoisseurs".) I know many of you have been fortunate enough to have snatched some up several years ago when the prices for all years were still well under $100, but what is the current going rate. I emailed ORVW a couple of months ago asking about the price of the 15yr. and got a reply that they should be close to $80 in the fall of 2013. What should the retail price of the 20 and 23 really be? Does anybody ever get a fair retail price, or is the demand so high we will gladly plop down $1000.00 for two bottles of bourbon?

I was calling around today looking for PHC 2012 (most had never heard of it) and called this store as well. Out of curiosity, I asked if they still had the PVW in stock and it was gone :shocked: Apparently people are willing to pay that much.

I have to say that it seems people are willing to pay anything, reason be damned, and I personally feel indignant about the fact that my sheer love of the stuff doesn't just make it materialize in my hands. In all seriousness though, here in New England you can still walk into a store and randomly find Pappy on the shelf, sometimes at MSRP. No crazy lists, no hurt feelings, just the happy surprise of finding what you least expected. I found my bottle of 15(79.99) and 20(129.99) this year in a random package store on the way up to Baxter State Park this fall, along with 4 ORVW 10/107s(39.99), of which I grabbed one to crack by the campfire. Left the rest behind for someone else to find. After more and more time on this board I'm beginning to realize just how lucky I got, but I almost feel like I came across it because I had decided to focus exclusively on the VWFRR this fall. Which, at well over $100 a bottle in southern CT, was too rich for my blood. You win some you lose some.

I found my bottle of 15(79.99) and 20(129.99) this year in a random package store on the way up to Baxter State Park this fall, along with 4 ORVW 10/107s(39.99), of which I grabbed one to crack by the campfire. Left the rest behind for someone else to find. After more and more time on this board I'm beginning to realize just how lucky I got, but I almost feel like I came across it because I had decided to focus exclusively on the VWFRR this fall. Which, at well over $100 a bottle in southern CT, was too rich for my blood. You win some you lose some.

Nice move, choosing not to clear the shelf, Wryguy. You've given someone else a chance to share in your good fortune. I'm sure the whiskey gods reward you with VWFRR when you least expect it.

I was recently offered PVW15 at about double MSRP. The store got a late allocation, and I was on top of the list, which I earned through purchasing and relationship building. The store manager called me up with the "big news" as if I had won the lottery. Mind you, I bought 3 bottles of VWFRR and others off the shelf, with no markup, at the same store last year.

To bring the story back to Wryguy's point, let's just say finding your favorite bottle hiding in plain sight is INFINITELY more rewarding than beating down the door or clawing to the top of a list... only to be gouged, no less. Part of me feels like I played a hand in creating the monster in this instance. So out of principle, I passed on the PVW15, and I'm ready to resume my anonymous status, hoping for a happy surprise.

I have to say that it seems people are willing to pay anything, reason be damned, and I personally feel indignant about the fact that my sheer love of the stuff doesn't just make it materialize in my hands. In all seriousness though, here in New England you can still walk into a store and randomly find Pappy on the shelf, sometimes at MSRP. No crazy lists, no hurt feelings, just the happy surprise of finding what you least expected. I found my bottle of 15(79.99) and 20(129.99) this year in a random package store on the way up to Baxter State Park this fall, along with 4 ORVW 10/107s(39.99), of which I grabbed one to crack by the campfire. Left the rest behind for someone else to find. After more and more time on this board I'm beginning to realize just how lucky I got, but I almost feel like I came across it because I had decided to focus exclusively on the VWFRR this fall. Which, at well over $100 a bottle in southern CT, was too rich for my blood. You win some you lose some.

No hard feelings at all. Just shocked, the bottles had been there for quite a while (I assume because of the high price) and I figured they would be there for several more months at that price. Supposedly the biggest liquor store in TX only gets 8-10 bottles of the entire line a year now. So, maybe that's just the going price around here. I've never bought any and won't at those prices.

Nice move, choosing not to clear the shelf, Wryguy. You've given someone else a chance to share in your good fortune. I'm sure the whiskey gods reward you with VWFRR when you least expect it.

I was recently offered PVW15 at about double MSRP. The store got a late allocation, and I was on top of the list, which I earned through purchasing and relationship building. The store manager called me up with the "big news" as if I had won the lottery. Mind you, I bought 3 bottles of VWFRR and others off the shelf, with no markup, at the same store last year.

To bring the story back to Wryguy's point, let's just say finding your favorite bottle hiding in plain sight is INFINITELY more rewarding than beating down the door or clawing to the top of a list... only to be gouged, no less. Part of me feels like I played a hand in creating the monster in this instance. So out of principle, I passed on the PVW15, and I'm ready to resume my anonymous status, hoping for a happy surprise.

Nice move indeed. Likewise, I've found a few gems here and there without clearing the shelves out. There's always next time, or the next batch, or next release, etc.

Edited by smknjoe

Those prices do look sweet, but you'd be very lucky to find these bottles on the shelf. A couple private stores have marked the prices up really, really high ($500 for the 20 year???), and lots of bottles are sold on the black market. The last time I actually saw PVW in the liquor store was November, 2011, when I happened upon the Lot B for like $55. In early 2011, I bought the 23 year for about $210. The places that used to have it never seem to have it on the shelf anymore because, as Anthony Bourdain said, "so many sons of bitches want it!"

At $300+ (that being the cheapest in the wild) a bottle I'd bet the person buying has never had it, is buying it as a gift, or is buying it to keep up appearances.

Edited by smknjoe

After passing on the 2X markup last week, balance was restored over the weekend... Pulled an ORVW and Lot B off the shelf of a random store for $37 and $59, respectively. Reaffirmed my commitment to discipline and patience... And not acting like a desperate custie.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!