Jump to content
HighInTheMtns

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

Recommended Posts

fishnbowljoe
1 hour ago, LCWoody said:

Im having some of the B520 batch tonight, freshly opened bottle, and I have to say Im not impressed at all. Not a good batch so far. 

I bought a B520 a while back, but I haven’t opened it yet. Now you’ve got me really curious. 🤔

 

Biba! Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richnimrod

I've yet to see the 'B' release for '20.    My local monger has had MANY repeated deliveries of last year's 'C' as well as this year's 'A'.    I think he has about 10-cases of one or the other in the store room.   

I liked the A-20 pretty well.    Not an All-Time-Fave or anything but good.    I have an 'extra' in the closet.

Maybe I'll wait for some impressions to show up here before getting worked up trying to find one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phil T

Some out of town friends and i went through a bottle of B520 a month ago. We found it dangerously drinkable. 

 

Prost!  Phil 

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fosmith
14 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Im having some of the B520 batch tonight, freshly opened bottle, and I have to say Im not impressed at all. Not a good batch so far. 

This one seems to be very polarizing.  Some people say it's one of the best batches and other say it's one of the worst...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richnimrod
3 hours ago, fosmith said:

This one seems to be very polarizing.  Some people say it's one of the best batches and other say it's one of the worst...

You're not helping, fosmith!    Not that I need encouragement; but, I would appreciate some consensus about the B-20 batch, if such is to develop, before deciding to  get one.... assuming one ever shows up here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paddy

FWIW, my experience with the B20 is that it tastes like ECBP.😛

  • I like it 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute
35 minutes ago, Paddy said:

FWIW, my experience with the B20 is that it tastes like ECBP.😛

What’s up Mr Snarky? 😁

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe
4 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

You're not helping, fosmith!    Not that I need encouragement; but, I would appreciate some consensus about the B-20 batch, if such is to develop, before deciding to  get one.... assuming one ever shows up here.

Consensus be damned!!!  Replace your fear of the unknown with curiosity!  

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LCWoody

D7E1066F-3841-4579-AB4F-957A4FA834A6.thumb.jpeg.f2030ccb3acb234688f625ce7b1946f0.jpegI want to clarify my tasting of Batch B520. Don’t get me wrong, it’s good, it’s just not as good as I hoped it would be. 
this afternoon I pulled out all of my open Elijah Craig BP and tasted all of them separately. This is where B520 fell in the five that I have open. C918 & C916 are both #1 (they are actually very different in taste but C918 is very smooth wear C916 you can tell has older bourbon in it And a lot more wood, which I like). Then A119 which is one that I really like. Then the next two are B520 and C919. So I guess my expectations were just a little high for B520, but it’s still good..

 

  • I like it 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IamMatt
On 6/12/2020 at 7:13 PM, mbroo5880i said:

I sure hope so.  My local liquor manager told me a few weeks ago that he only had one ECBP A120 left and I should buy it if I wanted it. He didn't know if they would get any more.  They had a multi-bottle sale starting the next day so I chanced it hoping I could get it at 30% off.  He was right.  The bottle was gone when I went back. 

I would never do this myself, of course, but SOME people might have hid that bottle behind a shelf of Doritos and gone back first thing in the morning when the sale started...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mbroo5880i
24 minutes ago, IamMatt said:

I would never do this myself, of course, but SOME people might have hid that bottle behind a shelf of Doritos and gone back first thing in the morning when the sale started...

I have seen bottles hidden in strange places in stores. I always makes me chuckle

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ondarocks
Posted (edited)

Recent batches of ECBP are terrible. Don't buy it. Ever. 😉

 

Edited by ondarocks
  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Clueby
On 7/18/2020 at 6:22 PM, LCWoody said:

D7E1066F-3841-4579-AB4F-957A4FA834A6.thumb.jpeg.f2030ccb3acb234688f625ce7b1946f0.jpegI want to clarify my tasting of Batch B520. Don’t get me wrong, it’s good, it’s just not as good as I hoped it would be. 
this afternoon I pulled out all of my open Elijah Craig BP and tasted all of them separately. This is where B520 fell in the five that I have open. C918 & C916 are both #1 (they are actually very different in taste but C918 is very smooth wear C916 you can tell has older bourbon in it And a lot more wood, which I like). Then A119 which is one that I really like. Then the next two are B520 and C919. So I guess my expectations were just a little high for B520, but it’s still good..

 

That C916 (Batch 12) was probably my favorite batch of ECBP ever.  Haven't tried B520 yet.  A120 was a VERY good batch and I thought C919 was an amazing batch as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
k-train

I personally love the B520 & just recently picked up an extra bottle. Strangely, there were still several bottles a A120 on the shelf, but I grabbed the last B520 they had at my local ABC store in Durham, NC.

I was hoping to get a bottle of the Larceny B520 as well, but it never happened for me. After checking the NC ABC Warehouse Inventory website (which gets updated every 15 minutes) for several weeks, I noticed they eventually stopped listing Larceny Barrel Proof all together. This led me to believe that the state had already distributed all of its allotment & no more would be headed this way.

Then out of nowhere yesterday, I see that Larceny Barrel Proof is once again listed on the state's inventory site. They don't have it in stock yet, but they did add the product to the list. The thing is, they don't ever indicate which batch it is on that site. They do however list the proof, pricing, size, etc. This new listing for the LBP shows it as being 132 proof. The LBP A120 was 123.2 and the B520 was 122.2 so that makes me think this must be a listing for the upcoming C920 release.

That made me see what they had listed for ECBP and sure enough that proof is different from the ECBP B520 and A120.

They are showing an ECBP that is 124.2 proof. I can only assume this too is the NC ABC prepping their site for the upcoming C920 release.

So if my suspicions are correct about these listings, we should expect a ECBP C920 that's just a bit lower than the B520 (and substantially lower than the A120). Meanwhile the LBP C920 seems to be much hotter than than the previous offerings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tulse

I'm officially considering becoming a novice bunkerer. 

 

I have 1 each opened B520 and C919. They are both still on the shelf at $54. I think I need backups. I'm struggling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IamMatt

I would be buying at $54.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bob_Loblaw
3 hours ago, IamMatt said:

I would be buying at $54.

Almost every time I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IamMatt

My son and I were talking recently and I said, "some whiskeys are just easy sippers like Jack Daniel's SB, but some require a commitment, like ECBP."  So tonight I was deciding on a dram and I thought, "what if you proof ECBP down a bit NOT with water, but with 'plain old' ECSB?'  So I mixed half ECBP A120 at 136.6 proof and half ECSB at 94 proof and came up with a delicious 115.3 proof blend.  It keeps a lot of the flavor intensity of the ECBP but does not require such a commitment to drink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute
1 hour ago, IamMatt said:

My son and I were talking recently and I said, "some whiskeys are just easy sippers like Jack Daniel's SB, but some require a commitment, like ECBP."  So tonight I was deciding on a dram and I thought, "what if you proof ECBP down a bit NOT with water, but with 'plain old' ECSB?'  So I mixed half ECBP A120 at 136.6 proof and half ECSB at 94 proof and came up with a delicious 115.3 proof blend.  It keeps a lot of the flavor intensity of the ECBP but does not require such a commitment to drink.

Do Stagg Jr. and Buffalo Trace next.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JCwhammie
8 minutes ago, flahute said:

Do Stagg Jr. and Buffalo Trace next.

In100% agree.

 

Or if ER10 is available, blend it with SJR. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute
19 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

In100% agree.

 

Or if ER10 is available, blend it with SJR. 

Yep! My original iteration used Old Charter 8 but since that is more or less phased out I use BT and have also had success with ER10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JCwhammie
31 minutes ago, flahute said:

Yep! My original iteration used Old Charter 8 but since that is more or less phased out I use BT and have also had success with ER10.

2+ years ago I did a 1:1 blend with BT and 130 proof SJR (I don't know that batch numbers) and let it set for a month or so. Dang, it was 110 proof of mashbill 1 goodness! 

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
k-train

Looks like ECBP C920 is starting to make it's way to stores. Contrary to my earlier speculation that it might be a bit lower proof than B520, it's actually a bit higher at 132.8 proof.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2

More importantly how does it taste? Anybody tried it? 
 

B520 didn’t get the best reviews and I didn’t get any (mostly because I certainly don’t need it!) although it is still available on the shelf at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2

Although to be honest I don’t NEED the C920 either, even if reviews are better.
 

Not that it has stopped me before!

 

Although I am getting better about that. 
 

Or so I tell myself...

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.