Best Bourbon For $10, $20, $30, $40, $50?

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Twin Cities

<$10: Heaven Hill 8/86 $9.99

<$20: Buffalo Trace $17.99 or Maker's $19.99

<$30: Baker's $26.99 or WT Rare Breed $29.99

<$40: 4RSB $34.99 or WT Kentucky Spirit $37.99

<$50: Don't normally buy in this range, last year it was Lot B $49.99, went up to $59.99 this year though.

Edited by sob0728

I've tried, and tried, and tried, but I just can't answer this question definitively. :crazy: I have too many "bests", particularly in the <$20 to <$30 categories. But, I did have a revelation! Which made me feel really good. And that is, my choices in the higher categories like the <$40 and particularly the <$50 segments, were very limited. I did not include the one-offs and special releases, like PHC, BTAC, etc. After those, not much to choose from. But, I had dozens of choices I could select in the other, lower categories. So...Yey, US!!!!! :woohoo: Even though we've seen some price creep, we still have a great bargain with high quality whiskies in the bourbon aisle...

What a cathartic thread...:D

South Louisiana

<$10 Evan Williams BIB (White Label)

<$20 Weller 12

<$30 4R SmB

<$40 Wild Turkey Rare Bird

<$50 4R SB (TPS Private Barrel) OESQ is my current favorite

NYC boroughs of queens and brooklyn.

<$10 I don't think any exists. EWB is at least $12 for a 750ml If you find one, usually at least in 1L bottles for $15 or so.

<$20 WT101 at $19.99

<$30 Ritt BIB either $21 or $23. Dickel no. 12 @ $25. (Larceny was $32 for a 1L haven't seen the 750ml.)

<$40 FR1B $39.99 (I'm not sure if I can find it at the price anymore so I'll add the soon to be dusty WTRB 108 proof at $34.99)

<$50 Either the FR1B which I think is kicked up to $43. Or KC1B @$45.

Edited by Lazer
KC1B

<$10 EWB when on sale

<$20 BT

<$30 EC12

<$40 4R SmB

<$50 Bookers

What would your selections be Charles?

Edited by JB64

Do most of my bourbon buying in the NYC suburbs of New Jersey, but also do an occasional purchase from some Manhattan stores like Astor.

Under $10: Don't really go there.

Under $20: WSR, with Ritt BIB or Old Ezra 7yr/101 honorable mention. Since this is a "where you are" thread, I can't include the VOB BIB and AAA 10 Yr that I picked up from TPS.

Under $30: I feel spoiled to be able to put FR1B in this price category, but since it is, that is my choice. This range seems to be my sweet spot though, as I could easily put OGD 114, ETL, OWA and W12 as my choice and be perfectly content.

Under $40: No clear choice, so most of my under $30 choices would likely qualify here as well.

Under $50: Blanton's, and when I am able to find it, Lot B. I have a Noah's Mill at $43 that I haven't cracked open yet, which might enter into the mix.

I already did this thread before...what's the best under X...just sayin'.

Here in LA:

<$10 - I don't really drink bourbon that's this cheap....sorry? I prefer to get weird, cheap dusties around town for $15 or so when it comes to botttom shelf.

<$20 - Rye: Bulleitt Rye at Trader Joe's, $19.99. Bourbon: BT, $19.99 at K&L. Best buy in LA.

<$30 - Rye: Rittenhouse, $24, Bourbon: Still BT for me, surprisingly.

<$40 - Rye: Willett SB, $36-38, Bourbon: 4R SB - $39.99, but typically prefer K&L releases that cost more cuz I'm lucky enough to have K&L. :)

<$50 - Rye: High West Rendezvous ALL day at $48, Bourbon: Tie between Blanton's & RHF, $45-50/each.

Edited by humchan2k

I already did this thread before...what's the best under X...just sayin'.

Cincinnati/ NKy

<$10 Heaven Hill 6yo BiB

<$20 VOB BiB ($13) or OWA on sale ~$19

<$30 OWA ($22)

<$40 4R standard SB ($32) / ORVW 107 ($35)

<$50 4R OESK SB ($49.99)

Prices are a little steep here in NYC:

<$20 Four Roses Yellow label @ $19.99

<$30 Old Weller Antique @ $25.99

<$40 Elmer T. Lee @ $32.99

Rookie of the year Larceny @ $32.99

Bargain Rye: Rittenhouse BIB @ $22.99

Bang for the Buck: Mellow Corn @ $13.99

I've tried, and tried, and tried, but I just can't answer this question definitively. :crazy: I have too many "bests", particularly in the <$20 to <$30 categories. But, I did have a revelation! Which made me feel really good. And that is, my choices in the higher categories like the <$40 and particularly the <$50 segments, were very limited. I did not include the one-offs and special releases, like PHC, BTAC, etc. After those, not much to choose from. But, I had dozens of choices I could select in the other, lower categories. So...Yey, US!!!!! :woohoo: Even though we've seen some price creep, we still have a great bargain with high quality whiskies in the bourbon aisle...

What a cathartic thread...:D

feel better now?

From Atlanta, GA, my list would be:

$10 or less: Evan Williams Black ($9.99)

$20 or less: Wild Turkey 101 ($19.99) (but only because I don't have a bottle of Fighting Cock @ $16.49 to compare against; only tasted it once but was impressed!)

$30 or less: Tie between Elmer T Lee ($26.99) and Knob Creek ($27.99)

$40 or less: Four Roses Single Barrel ($34.99)

$50 or less: Bookers ($46.99)

Great thread. I really think that geography is the most interesting component here. So often we talk about values and corresponding drinking habits without taking varying prices into account.

In Columbia, Missouri (100,000+ inhabitants college town)

Best Bourbon...

Under $10: EWB at $9.99, $18.99 for a handle

Under $20: WSR at $16.99

Under $30: EC 12 at $25.99 (this is hard; so many bourbons I would expect at $20 come in at considerably over $20)

Under $40: FR1B at $39.99

Under $50: Booker's at $49.99 (sometimes), although really I want to say FR1B again here

Edited by CoMobourbon

Slight revision (refinement?) of the premise: Best VALUE IN BOURBON in Columbia, Missouri...

Under $10: still EWB

Under $20: EW BIB at $11.99 OR FRY at $12.99

Under $30: OGD 114 at $22.99

Under $40: still FR1B

Under $50: ?

North Carolina:

Under $10: nothing worth drinking

Under $20: OGD BIB

Under $30: OWA

Under $40: FR1B when you can find it

Under $50: ORVW10 when you can get it

North Carolina:

Under $10: nothing worth drinking

Under $20: OGD BIB

Under $30: OWA

Under $40: FR1B when you can find it

Under $50: ORVW10 when you can get it

Made it easy for me, that's MI line up also.

Chicago

$10 -- Benchmark

$20 -- Four Roses Yellow Label

$30 -- Weller 12 (this is the sweet spot, lots of honorable mentions)

$40 -- Wild Turkey Rare Breed

$50 -- Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit

I did this using Binny's online listing and surprised myself in a couple of cases.

Southwest Louisiana

$10--EW BIB (white label)

$20--OGD 114 (sometimes its $20.95)

$30--Henry Mckenna 10/y BIB

$40--FRSB

$50--Noahs Mill, Bookers, and when it's out Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

I kind of like the high proof bourbons!!

$10 - Evan Williams Black

$20 - OGD 100 or WT 101

$30 - WT Rare Breed ($29.99), Baker's ($27.77) or Knob Creek SB ($28.88) - Both unreal prices and two of my favorites. Jefferson 15 year is honorable mention on clearance at one place at $29.99

$40 - Four Roses Single Barrel or Michter's

$50 - Not enough experience up here to have a "favorite"

My wheelhouse is in that $30 range. It has some of my favorites and it just seems like a good price to pay for a great bourbon.

My wheelhouse is in that $30 range. It has some of my favorites and it just seems like a good price to pay for a great bourbon.

That $30 range is my wheelhouse as well, but it'd be even moreso if I had KCSB and WTRB in that range. Those are both around $40 by me, let alone the Jefferson 15 which is around $50. Well done out there in MN... :)

That $30 range is my wheelhouse as well, but it'd be even moreso if I had KCSB and WTRB in that range. Those are both around $40 by me, let alone the Jefferson 15 which is around $50. Well done out there in MN... :)

The Jefferson's is at Hi Time (so not really local). The price dropped by $20. I assume they're trying to clear it out.

The WTRB can vary from $30-44. I bought my last one for $32 (with a $5 off coupon for a $27 total :) ). The KCSB and Bakers prices are a constant at a place called Morelli's which has some of the cheapest stuff out there if they have it. BT for $17, JDSB for $34. It's been a while since I've been there, but if they have it...they have the best price.

Guess I need to jump in here

under $10: zip

<$20: OGD BiB

<$30: Bulleit (like the high rye flavor)

<$40: ORVW 10yr 107

<$50: KC Reserve (although I know I can get it for around $36 @ TPS)

Not alot of choices in the $40-$50 range in MI.

PS: Josh where are you finding EW BiB in this neck of the woods? PM me please Thanks

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.