Best Bourbon For $10, $20, $30, $40, $50?

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There are way too many great bourbons in the $20 to $30 range. It's relatively easy to pick something for less than $20 or more than $50 but the sheer number of contenders in the 20-30 range just reduces me to saying, "Whatever I'm drinking at the time."

Under $10: Benchmark drinkable and use it with food. ($8)

Under $20: WL WellerOld Weller Antique ($19.99)

Under $30: Knob Creek (actually $31)

Under $40: Elmer T Lee ($38-ish)

Under $50: You can’t go wrong with Blanton’s or Bookers

We're spoiled in Atlanta - ETL (well, when we had it on the shelves) runs $23-$28 typically. Agree with Flyfish though - when I think of $20 to $30 range, holy crap - there's a bunch! BT, ER10, FRSmB, EC12, ETL, WT101, OWA, W12, Larceny, 1792RR, EWSB, and sometimes FRSB and KC can be had for that. I wouldn't kick any of them out of bed :) Depends what mood you're in on any given day!

I'll only suggest bottles I've tried (with alternates):

Under $10: Old HH Gold BIB

Under $20: VOB BIB (Fighting Cock)

Under $30: Elijah Craig 12 (OWA)

Under $40: Elijah Craig BP (Knob Creek 120)

Under $50: Jameson 12 yr. !!!

In New Mexico:

Under 10: EWB

Under 20: EWSB

Under 30: Eagle Rare, Elijah Craig, WTRR

Under 40: WTRB

Under 50: Been getting ORVW 107 for 45

Lots of things I can't get here and pick up on travel that would make the list: Ezra 7/101, Weller 12, Charter 101....

In Atlanta:

Under $10: N/A

Under $20: Buffalo Trace ($19.99)

Under $30: Eagle Rare 10 ($28.99)

Under $40: Don't drink much in this range - probably either CEHT SmB or KC SB

Under $50: Four Roses Barrel Strength Private Selections ($49.99)

Interesting to see what price ranges people are slotting certain brands. Some of them I think, wow, I wish I could get it for that price here. And others, I realize I've got it pretty good in comparison. In general, I'll go with what seems to be the consensus - it ain't gettin' any cheaper.

Prices reflect the cheapest (from memory) of the 4 stores I most frequent (Julio's in Westborough, MA; Wyman's and Kappy's in Leominster/Fitchburg, MA; NH State Liquor Store - Nashua, NH).

Under $10: I've never seen a 750ml up here under $10

Under $20: Old Grand Dad 100 Bonded ($19.99)

Under $30: Buffalo Trace ($22.99 in NH. Much more pricey in MA, but still usually under $30)

Under $40: Four Roses Single Barrel ($39.99)

Under $50: Blanton's ($45.99)

• 6 months later...

To the top for my favorite thread... In Minnesota we have lost all $10 selections. In the $20 range I'm enjoying OGD 114, fighting cock, EWSB.

< $10: Old Crow ($9.99) - not a fan, but it IS bourbon...

< $20: Rittenhouse - rye, but too good not to mention

< $30: Elijah Craig ($24) - best $/oz bourbon, IMHO. Honorable mention to OGD 114 @ $22

< $40: KCBP ($35) - all that's good about KC with a nice kick in the teeth

< $50: Baker's ($43) - Nice high proof and still super amooth

It is interesting how the bourbons in each price point has changed since this thread has started.

It is interesting how the bourbons in each price point has changed since this thread has started.

LoL, I found it funny one of the early posters was complaining about the shit availability in Pennsylvania. Glad I'm not the only one who is fed up with our "system". And here I thought I was just a complainer who hates the PLCB and FW&GS stores. :)

I'm amazed at not only the LOW prices for some of you, but also how it makes no sense to see such WIDE variance in pricing and availability by state. Seriously bourbon makes no sense how it is distributed and how it is priced. It makes it seem like a tiered system of corruption, and the only thing that varies is how much corruption and cronyism is in each state to add on extra costs for moving it thru the state, which affects how high your prices go. Also worth noting is how a certain state may see INSANE low prices on Buffalo Trace, while a neighboring state may see extreme High prices for BT. Now shipping it that extra 100 miles really increased costs? Or is it just lining the pockets of a different politician/local liquor control board. Thats the amazing thing I take from realizing how much corruption is in our distribution system.

And my choices, keep in mind its shitty pennsylvania availability:

<$10: Nothing I would drink. I think Heaven Hill has an awful watered down 80 proof white label, 36 month age stated (for real they state 36 months on the label like its something to be proud of) bourbon for maybe 9.99 but I think even it is 11.99 now. Benchmark is close but I wouldn't drink it either.

<$20: Old Grand Dad BiB is often on sale at $16.99 so i stock up when it is, and I have to special order it but Old Fitzgerald's 1849 is $19.69 which I keep cases of.

<$30: This is the sweet spot for mid shelf bourbons here, and about the only good thing about pennsylvania is at least this widely distributed juice is able to be found here even if most other popular bourbons are not. Fav's here are EC12, Eagle Rare both around $25.99, Recently Wild Turkey RB went on clearance at $29.99 so I bought a bunch, great juice for that price.

<$40: Smooth ambler Old Scout 7yr is $34.99 when its available. I love this stuff so I pretty much bought up all the bottles in several adjacent counties. 4 Roses Single Barrel is just as good but its regularly $39.99 here, occasionally on sale at 36.99.

<$50: Bookers goes on sale pretty often at $47.99, Knob Creek Single barrel reserve is $46.99. I don't drink much from here because I love my 20 to 30 category so much.

Edited by jmj_203

Would say the changes in Indiana are more related to availability than price-with exceptions.

My current list:

<$10-Benchmark($9.99)

<$20-OGD 114($19.99)

<$30-OWA ($23) but W12 ($26)(when available)

<$40-ECBP was $39.99 for the first couple of batches but has crept up lately. So FRSB ($35)

<$50-FRSB PS easy winner here ($49.99)

I'm not going to say that there is no corruption in the system but a lot of factors besides that can lead to wide differences in price. Variations in taxes and regulations on the state and local levels, variations in levels of supply & demand, and competition between stores (in places where that exists) all play a role.

Although I frequently buy in the shops in DC, I also often wonder over to Montgomery Count MD, where the prices are generally very low.

Under $10 - EW Black ($8.99)

Under $20 - JBB ($16-18), Dickel Rye ($17)

Under $30 - ER10 ($25), EC12 ($21)

Under $40 - 4RSB (39.99), KCSB ($33.99)

Under $50 - Bookers ($49.99)

• 1 month later...

I do find it interesting how often 4 Roses single barrel is mentioned. I'm lucky as I can find it for $30 on sale...while many say it's their favorite under $50.

LoL, I found it funny one of the early posters was complaining about the shit availability in Pennsylvania. Glad I'm not the only one who is fed up with our "system". And here I thought I was just a complainer who hates the PLCB and FW&GS stores. :)

I'm amazed at not only the LOW prices for some of you, but also how it makes no sense to see such WIDE variance in pricing and availability by state. Seriously bourbon makes no sense how it is distributed and how it is priced. It makes it seem like a tiered system of corruption, and the only thing that varies is how much corruption and cronyism is in each state to add on extra costs for moving it thru the state, which affects how high your prices go. Also worth noting is how a certain state may see INSANE low prices on Buffalo Trace, while a neighboring state may see extreme High prices for BT. Now shipping it that extra 100 miles really increased costs? Or is it just lining the pockets of a different politician/local liquor control board. Thats the amazing thing I take from realizing how much corruption is in our distribution system.

And my choices, keep in mind its shitty pennsylvania availability:

<$10: Nothing I would drink. I think Heaven Hill has an awful watered down 80 proof white label, 36 month age stated (for real they state 36 months on the label like its something to be proud of) bourbon for maybe 9.99 but I think even it is 11.99 now. Benchmark is close but I wouldn't drink it either.

<$20: Old Grand Dad BiB is often on sale at $16.99 so i stock up when it is, and I have to special order it but Old Fitzgerald's 1849 is $19.69 which I keep cases of.

<$30: This is the sweet spot for mid shelf bourbons here, and about the only good thing about pennsylvania is at least this widely distributed juice is able to be found here even if most other popular bourbons are not. Fav's here are EC12, Eagle Rare both around $25.99, Recently Wild Turkey RB went on clearance at $29.99 so I bought a bunch, great juice for that price.

<$40: Smooth ambler Old Scout 7yr is $34.99 when its available. I love this stuff so I pretty much bought up all the bottles in several adjacent counties. 4 Roses Single Barrel is just as good but its regularly $39.99 here, occasionally on sale at 36.99.

<$50: Bookers goes on sale pretty often at $47.99, Knob Creek Single barrel reserve is $46.99. I don't drink much from here because I love my 20 to 30 category so much.

I'm from PA as well. Totally agree with your statements. It gets really difficult to find certain bourbons, hell some you can't even find. You can try online ordering for some and others you can get as a Special Liquor Order, but some have a large minimum order. PALCB sucks.

I do find it interesting how often 4 Roses single barrel is mentioned. I'm lucky as I can find it for $30 on sale...while many say it's their favorite under $50.

They're most likely talking about Barrel Proof Private Selections, not the standard single barrel on the shelf.

They're most likely talking about Barrel Proof Private Selections, not the standard single barrel on the shelf.

Not necessarily. I'd put standard FRSB (generally available for $30-$35 here in NJ) on par with or better than most $40-$50 bourbons, SAOS 10 Yr, Baker's, Blanton's, RHF, etc. It is that good IMHO. The Barrel Proof Private Selections are just "even better"...

I'd love to try the barrel proof but the regular single barrel is becoming my go to. I'm new to bourbon and have been trying a lot of different brands and I find I get the most consistency and enjoyment from 4RSB.

In KC:

Under $10: EW BiB (white)

Under $20: OGD 114 or BT

Under $30: ETL or HM BiB

Under $40: 4RSB or KCSB

Under $50: Bookers

In Indianapolis:

Under $10: Nothing. HH6 BiB is closest at $10.99. The only good bourbons under $10 here are 375mL or smaller. I don't see any of the bondeds for <$10 anymore.

Under $30: 4RSB, WTRB, or EC12

Under $40: SAOS, KCSB

Under $50: 4RSB BP selections, Bookers

In Indianapolis:

Under $10: Nothing. HH6 BiB is closest at $10.99. The only good bourbons under $10 here are 375mL or smaller. I don't see any of the bondeds for <$10 anymore.

Under $30: 4RSB, WTRB, or EC12

Under $40: SAOS, KCSB

Under $50: 4RSB BP selections, Bookers

A national/international membership reveals the major difficulty with placing bourbon in price categories. Many of us can not get any of the bourbons on this list at the prices AMG mentions. Well, I can get EC12 for under $30. None of the others. And I really pity the SBers in Washington state. Bottom shelf there seems to begin at $50.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.