BOTM 3/13: George Dickel Rye.

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There was a lot of discussion about this in the rye forum, so I figured why not. It was also suggested to me by another member who was trying to help me out. And you all know, I can use all the help I can get. :crazy: So the BOTM for this month is Dickel Rye. Tennessee Rye. :bigeyes: Well, MGPI, LDI, ABC, or XYZ rye, finished with the Lincoln County process. Whatever. :grin:

Pretty much all I know about this is what's been posted here, so not much commentary from me again this month. (Okay, that's enough cheering. Sit down now. :lol:) I will say that I have seen it around here in the liquor department of my local grocery store chain. These stores normally don't mess around with their inventory much, so it was a little bit of a surprise for me the first time I saw it. The price was okay too. $23.99, which for these stores is pretty decent. In conclusion, here's a rye that appears to be readily available, that's being sold at a fairly decent price, and also one that most folks think tastes pretty good. As has been mentioned, sounds like a value pour to me.

So, what say ye? What tickles your Dickel? :slappin: Let's hear your thought about George Dickel Rye.

Cheers! Joe

Edited by fishnbowljoe

I will have to say I do enjoy the Dickel Rye quite a bit and really think the charcoal filtering does something to the profile that is quite agreeable.I do think that a good product released from a fairly major player in the game at a great price is getting fewer and far between every day,so Dickel well done.I enjoy the smoother softer profile of this rye as a nice change of pace and 90 proof really seems to work well and at around $20,it will find itself in my group of opens time and time again.

Seems to touch all the bases, looking to see how well this one is received.

Forgot to sticky this. Posting to bump it up. :skep:

Larceny is another good example of a premium product from a major producer, like Dickel Rye, that isn't aiming for the fences, price-wise, and I agree that Dickel (and Heaven Hill) should be praised for remembering who brung 'em, people who consume a fair amount of whiskey and so are always looking for value. Dickel Rye has value and it has flavor, and it has 'Dickelness,' with the filtering. Unfortunately, it probably will miss out on some press precisely because it is modestly priced and the hoity-toity types will consider it too pedestrian. If the people who claim to primarily like rye aren't all over this, there's something wrong with them.

Very true, I can't manage to be hoity-toity and cheap at the same time, well, life has it's little disappointments.

Just happened to pick up a bottle today, along with a bottle of Bulleit Rye. Looking forward to sampling these tonight. These are both affordable whiskeys (I paid $22 for the Dickel and $28 for the Bulleit) and I'm happy to see new ryes on the market in this price bracket.

Just happened to pick up a bottle today, along with a bottle of Bulleit Rye. Looking forward to sampling these tonight. These are both affordable whiskeys (I paid $22 for the Dickel and $28 for the Bulleit) and I'm happy to see new ryes on the market in this price bracket.

Haven't seen it in Houston yet, but have not been to Downtown Spec's lately. I sure intend to try it as I love Bulleit and Willet LDI ryes

Bought a bottle last week. Enjoyed it over a couple of days. Very easy to drink, in fact it may go down too easy. Paid less than $23 for the bottle. Have not yet tried it in a Manhattan yet, maybe this weekend. Best to drink neat, ice or water would tend to dilute it too much. Sweet and modestly spicy flavor profile. Will buy another bottle after this one is gone.

Got a 750 of this at lunch for a little less than $17. What other sizes are available? Also found it quite nice and can taste the connection to Bulleit Rye but substantially cheaper.

The charcoal filtering calms down the over-the-top mint notes that sometimes are predominant in LDI rye. The price makes in an incredible value. And you gotta love the old-timely labeling.

I cracked a bottle (750ml/$20+) just to participate in the BOTM discussion. I have 7 bottles of LDI rye (3 Willetts, 2 Bulleits, 2 Dickels) and this is my first taste. I like the synthetic cork - no worries about cork taint there. I get a bit of lemon oil on the nose, not sour, just aromatic lemon. Taste is sweet with a touch of the lemon oil (or lemon mint - is that the mint I hear so much about? I'm relieved that the mint isn't the green herbal flavors I get in some other whiskies), then the pepper builds over the lemon mint, finish has some alcohol tingle with the opening flavor just continuing throughout and a slight bitter end that I associate with white oak. I didn't find a single off-note, this is good, if mild, rye. I think I get an impression of smokiness in the full mouth - I'm thinking that may be the charcoal filtering taste, but I haven't tried the other Dickels for comparison yet. I've tried RittBIB and WTR101 and this is more similar to the WT. If this is minty, I dig it.

Edited by MauiSon

Got a 750 of this at lunch for a little less than $17. What other sizes are available? Also found it quite nice and can taste the connection to Bulleit Rye but substantially cheaper.

Often with new products, they only come out with the 1L (for bars and restaurants) and 750ml (for consumers) at first, if it catches on then they bring it out in all sizes, up to 1.75 L. But with Dickel being a pretty big brand, they may have come right out of the box with the full range.

Wow. What a deal!

I love this stuff. It is really excellent stuff in my opinion. Makes a killer manhattan too. We did a pickleback with it and it was so nice I made old fashioneds with it where we subbed out the cherry, added kosher pickle juice and muddled the orange slice with the bitters, water, pickle juice and sugar...whew that was quite the cocktail. It drinks too easy. I like the mint and dill pickle aspect. It has a nice orangey finish too. Winner in my book.

I like this as much or more than Bulleit Rye, and it's $5 less. I've noticed that Willett, Bulleit, and now Dickel put Lawrenceburg, IN on the label of the ryes. No smoke, no mirrors, no monkey business. I think if a brand is going to sell something they didn't make; that's the way to do it.

I picked up one of these yesterday for about $24. The cheapest I've seen it so far is just under $22. But on the other hand I can get Bulleit for under $20 on sale.

I have a Bulleit open at the moment so it was interesting to compare the two. The Dickel has a more pleasant nose-- the maple charcoal is most evident there in a sweet, gentle smokiness. I don't get much smoke at all out of Bulleit. Dickel also has some deeper notes of pecan pie. In terms of flavor, Dickel is more structured. Bulleit is decent enough but it always feels a little flabby to me. There are some dark fruit, almost rummy notes in Bulleit that are transformed into something more citric in the Dickel. I think Cowdery nailed it when he described grapefruit. It's not exactly grapefruit but it has that slightly bitter citrus rind note on the tongue as it fades. The finish is more spicy, too.

I also tried it with ice-- a mistake. Much like #12, it doesn't fare well on ice-- gets an odd, mentholated note that overpowers the other flavors.

I like this, a lot. Better than Bulleit rye although they are quite similar. The maple filter gives it a nice complexity, especially on the nose. I'm curious to see if this fades out as the bottle is open longer.

Good notes Brisko. I don't mind if it's sourced whisky (just don't pretend you made it) and it's interesting to find differences in the producer's final products.

Liter bottles are preferred by bars and rarely seen in stores.

In SC, liters are fairly common in larger stores, especially the big brands....Beam, MM, EW, etc. It is funny that they are often not a better deal per ounce than the 750s in the liquor stores. I think we find them in stores because retailers have to stock them anyway. Establishments that sell by the drink cannot buy directly from whole-sellers but must go through retailers. Although I think this is sometimes a technicality.

I have wondered if most bourbons are offered in all sizes or just some. I can get FRYL in 750 and 1.75 but never seen them in liters or anything smaller than 750.

Last note: When SC decided to go to free-pour a couple of years ago (last in the nation), there was some consideration in our state legislature about requiring by-the-drink establishments to only use liters and liquor stores being prohibited from selling liters to the general public (they were not allowed to sell mini-bottles to the public until after free-pour...we would go to NC). (There was even a group that wanted to require distillers to provide quarts just for free-pour.) It was finally decided that it would restrict the variety of brands too much. They finally settled on big fines for possessing 1.75 L bottles in the establishments. SO afraid of losing tax revenue.

Edited by Enoch

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.