BOTM 3/13: George Dickel Rye.

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I revisited this last night and it came off as sweeter than I recalled. Still very good but the maple-filter may be a double-edged sword.

I agree with your take Brisko but I would put the sweetness down to the barrel. I don't the carbonized maple charcoal adds any flavor, rather it removes it.

Edited by squire

You may be right, squire. I am just thinking in comparison to the other Indiana ryes I have (Bulleit, Willett). I will say that the maple does add a touch of smokiness to the aroma, in a nice way. Whether it adds or subtracts from the flavor is another question. I'm inclined to think that it mutes some flavors while amplifying others (that are already present in the spirit).

This is a very nice rye. Like JohnB mentioned up thread, it starts with the great old-timey label. I think I spent 15 minutes reading and admiring it. Embossed bottle with "GEORGE DICKEL" across the shoulder is nice. Funny thing though, in that we're enthusiasts, and "chill-filtered" is seen as a detriment to whiskey, Dickel proudly pronounces that fact on the label. Not just, "charcoal filtered", but "Chill Filtered". :D

But, I think it must be that chill filtering which makes this whiskey sing. I like the LDI ryes, like Bulleit. They sparkle and pop with mint, spice and (OK, maybe dill pickle ;)). But, the Dickel has toned these down successfully, with wonderful sweet and easy overtones to it. And as others have mentioned, there's a little smokiness, too. The sweetness reminds me somewhat of the Ritt BIB. But, the LDI profile is still there as a backbone, and that is good for me. It has a great back of the palate feel to it, that goes into a very nice finish. It all works in a nice way.

I never heard of LDI a few short years ago. Now, I'm loving almost every iteration that someone else comes out with, of it. They're the same...but, different.... I can't find it, but Whitedog had a great line about them being such an influence in the rye market by "accident", or something like that?? Maybe, someone remembers better than me, and can put it up, here. But, I think he hit it right on the head. They make a fine rye whiskey. And for me, Dickel's tweak is another success of this formula.

This thread has got me interested in trying this rye. I will pick up a bottle this weekend and give it a taste. Looking forward to it.

• 1 month later...

I bought this as soon as I saw it, always having enjoyed my Dickel, and it did not disappoint. It's pretty good on the rocks, but makes an awesome Manhattan. And yes, the price can't be beat!

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.