what if a microdistiller made something that was really good.

tmckenzie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It'll never hapen (answer to thread's question) because the micro distillers want money now and will never age anything.

Never is an awfully long time, O.

I have had the pleasure to taste a wheated bourbon that tmckenzie made, barreled and aged the proper way. It has a profile unlike any bourbon on the market today, I have to break in to the dusty closet to get a profile close to what he made.

I have tasted the McKenzie wheated as well and am looking forward to

an official release. I hope they are laying down a bunch of this stuff -

based on the sample I tried, it's gonna be something I'll wanna stock

up on. I'm glad they are in NY so perhaps availability will be in my favor.

It'll never hapen (answer to thread's question) because the micro distillers want money now and will never age anything.
It is happening, but only a few will do it.

I have tasted the McKenzie wheated as well and am looking forward to

an official release. I hope they are laying down a bunch of this stuff -

based on the sample I tried, it's gonna be something I'll wanna stock

up on. I'm glad they are in NY so perhaps availability will be in my favor.

There will be some released this year. Probably be single barrel and barrel proof. The latest sample michealturtle got was what will be released. It is amazing stuff.

http://www.frdistilling.com/ - These guys in Ft. Worth, TX might come close to a SW profile. If you believe their website info on their Straight Bourbon, they are using roller mills, it's a wheated recipe, and they are aging in standard 53 gallon barrels. They started filling barrels March 2012, so who knows when it will truly be ready. I'd like to see it age 6 years, but figure they will sell it much sooner to make some money.

Their website seems to go into loving graphic detail in every area except one: it has no mention at all of backset, that I could find. Are they making a sweet mash whiskey?

I like their approach, a quality blend rather than the usual white goods, can anybody report on this?

I like their approach, a quality blend rather than the usual white goods, can anybody report on this?

I've been told F&R TX whiskey is a blend of bourbon and American whiskey (distilled to a higher proof than bourbon aged in used bourbon barrels). Also that for the straight bourbon they are producing, they currently are using a sweet mash process.

Unfortunately our prior discussions, while certainly thoughtful, are not very disclosive of the actual product put out by F&R. I would think that blends (blands?) are of limited interest to members of a Straight Bourbon Board yet I believe there is room for a producer to come out with an expression made with more thought than the usual GNS based stuff on the market today.

If a micro distiller made something that was really good it would probably cost $150

I remember watching Whiskey on A&E and they were talking about Stranahan's. They had the guy from Brandy Library in NYC judge it and he gave it high marks. I couldn't give the shit away at two SB.com gatherings.

I remember watching Whiskey on A&E and they were talking about Stranahan's. They had the guy from Brandy Library in NYC judge it and he gave it high marks. I couldn't give the shit away at two SB.com gatherings.

I feel like a lot of reviewers overhype the craft distillers. It's artisinal; blood, sweat, tears, and (sometimes) life savings went into production; David vs. Goliath; etc... It's easy to see why reviewers romanticize these guys and get behind what they're doing. On top of that, I think a lot of reviewers want to draw parallels with the craft brewing movement, which has taken over the beer world.

But, at the end of the day, the stuff the craft guys produce just doesn't compete with the big dogs. I've had Balcones, Leopold, Koval, and others, and almost all of them were priced $40+. Its just not worth it.

High West and Willett are the exception here.

Dolph, for the most part I agree with what you posted. For the record though I think we should point out that both High West and Willet are selling whisky made by somebody else.

Dolph, for the most part I agree with what you posted. For the record though I think we should point out that both High West and Willet are selling whisky made by somebody else.

Ya Thunk? ,,,,,,,

If a micro distiller made something that was really good it would probably cost $150

ank

some of them try to rip people off in general, we keep our products priced so somebody can enjoy it and not break the bank.

We have a new micro here, in Winter Park, FL. They bill their product as "young whiskey" and last year, when I sampled some, it tasted like vodka.

I should get a bottle now and see if it's any better. It's affordable.

http://www.wpdistilling.com/

Edited by Alden

Their web site implies they distill their own rum, do you know if that's true?

I would assume so. Why?

Prichard's Double Chocolate Bourbon I enjoy from time to time. Koval's Bourbon using Millet as the 2nd grain is young but the sweetness of the corn is beautiful and shines through and is a delightful sip.

Fo shizzle. I just like to throw those two guys into the equation because they are now distilling and I think their method (sourcing until they're able to produce) is more effective than other craft distillers (putting out young products, small barrels, etc.).

My thought exactly...I know Charbay whiskey is supposed to be stellar but the $300 entry fee keeps me at bay.

• 2 months later...

I think time will solve this problem - Many of the distiller's are already doing interesting things with Gins (once a sleepy category) - Berkshire Mountain's Barrel-aged gin is very, very tasty. Roughstock Whisky from Montana is making some good stuff, and not some not-so-good stuff. It's not all bourbon yet - but it is whiskey. As I've said elsewhere Balcones is making some great whiskies - and they've finally released a bourbon (which I've yet to taste).

As the Craft distiller's sales networks, customer bases and distribution networks grow in size they'll soon be in a position to lay down and eventually release older stock (at least the successful ones). While their prices may seem high now on a comparable quality basis, I think in 5 years time, maybe sooner, there'll a lot of people hunting for dusties from these very same distiller’s. And given the low numbers of cases being released it’ll be much harder and far more regional.

I could be wrong, it’s happened before I’m told, I just can’t remember when it was…..

I think in 5 years time, maybe sooner, there'll a lot of people hunting for dusties from these very same distiller’s. And given the low numbers of cases being released it’ll be much harder and far more regional.

I disagree. The mantra for the craft distillers is if you don't like our whiskey now, try the next batch, it's getting better. And that statement is the truth for most of these distillers. So why would dusty hunters want these early releases that were not that great? The exception is maybe it's a 1st release from the distillery and collected as a commemorative bottle.

My thought exactly...I know Charbay whiskey is supposed to be stellar but the $300 entry fee keeps me at bay.

Charbray also makes a whiskey that retails for under $60. I enjoyed a few pour last weekend and thought it was very good.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.