What Rye Are You Drinking? Spring 2013

LostBottle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last night started with Old Overholt, then Beam Rye with old label, baby saz, wt101 rye, and finally the willet 5yr single barrel rye. The willet reigned supreme.

Hidden

Had a pretty good day at work today. :skep: Surprising because Monday's are usually horrid. I'm treating myself to a nice pour of HH 6 yr BIB. :yum:

Cheers! Joe

Had a pretty good day at work today. :skep: Surprising because Monday's are usually horrid. I'm treating myself to a nice pour of HH 6 yr BIB. :yum:

Cheers! Joe

Sounds like a delicious rye Joe ;)

Sounds like a delicious rye Joe ;)

Dohhhh! Thanks for the heads up Jim. I moved it. :rolleyes:

I tried Knob Creek rye for the first time. It is definitely the most "bourbon-like" rye I have had. It was good but I much prefer Sazerac or Willet 5 year old because of the full rye flavor. I did switch gears with the Knob Creek rye and put it in a perfect Manhattan. That is how the rest of the bottle is going to go away. It was very good in that capacity.

VWFRR,I am usually fairly stingy with my pours of this,but last night was an exception to the rule 100ml and 2 hours of total bliss.I get so wrapped up in just nosing this I lose track of time,truly encapsulating!

All I have in the house right now is a bottle of Rittenhouse BIB rye. Very goos stuff. Better than I remembered.

Same. Long week and it's proving to be a nice, nice treat.

starting with HW Rendezvous. nose of dill pickles. just a small taste pour, moving on to something else next.

B

VWFRR,I am usually fairly stingy with my pours of this,but last night was an exception to the rule 100ml and 2 hours of total bliss.I get so wrapped up in just nosing this I lose track of time,truly encapsulating!

The best Rye I've ever tasted, hands down.

I've been on the Knob Creek rye as of late, I like it.

Tonight current Old Overholt then WTR101 then baby saz then some old overholt high balls with crabbies alcohalic ginger beer and ango bitters finishing the night with willet 5yr 110,

RR rye. Good, but not something I will be replenishing anytime soon.

It's light drinking the equivalent of light beer, or light rye in this case. the rye is there, but only just a little.

B

We did a blind rye tasting a week or so ago with Ritt Bib, High West 21, Handy 2011, Willett 4 year, and High West Double Rye. The winners were the Handy and the Willett 4 year. HW 21 came in third. The other HW and Ritt bib were the bottom. I was surprised how well the Willett did in that group. I will have to put it up against the Saz 18 when I get those two bottles in the same place at the same time.

Received some samples at the beginning of the week from a fellow Sber (you know who you are, many thanks!), and sat down to them tonight for some head to head tasting. It was a treat to get my nose in, and my lips on, this beautiful juice: Hirsch 21 and Vintage 21 ryes. Similar ages, both bottled by KBD, but two very different beasts. I'm going to keep at tasting them for now, and revisit them one more time before I post some tasting notes, but the long and short is, nothing makes me happier than some seriously aged rye, and tonight is no exception! :)

We did a blind rye tasting a week or so ago with Ritt Bib, High West 21, Handy 2011, Willett 4 year, and High West Double Rye. The winners were the Handy and the Willett 4 year. HW 21 came in third. The other HW and Ritt bib were the bottom. I was surprised how well the Willett did in that group. I will have to put it up against the Saz 18 when I get those two bottles in the same place at the same time.
I've had the Rit BiB, Saz 18 and THH, and I'd take the Willett 4 over all of them. I love that stuff.

Having my first taste of Bulleit's rye. Very good stuff. You can certainly taste the LDI influence that I enjoy so much in the Willett.

A pour of WTR101 followed by Dickel Rye. One wanes as the other grows.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!