What Rye Are You Drinking? Spring 2013

LostBottle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

First mix I have ever tried, I get skiddish every time I envision what would mingle well together and don't try it....hopefully this will be the success I need to start trying different combos

Started with the second-to-the-last pour of WTR101. It's lost most of it's floral sweetness and pepper, but what's left is just good and long - I don't want to let go of the finish. I do, 5 minutes later, tho. On to a middle pour of Dickel Rye, still sweet and fruity throughout, with stick-out-your-tongue pepper mid-palate. Since Dickel is still on the shelves, I'll buy more (Only have a single back-up bottle).

Edited by MauiSon

Started with the second-to-the-last pour of WTR101. It's lost most of it's floral sweetness and pepper, but what's left is just good and long - I don't want to let go of the finish. I do, 5 minutes later, tho. On to a middle pour of Dickel Rye, still sweet and fruity throughout, with stick-out-your-tongue pepper mid-palate. Since Dickel is still on the shelves, I'll buy more (Only have a single back-up bottle).

Went the Dickel route myself last night after killing off the remainder of a bottle of Dixie Dew. I definitely enjoy the Dickel Rye and the price suits me fine.

Drinking some High West 12 year old that I was surprised to find in a bar tonight. Delicious, that little 375ml bottle might be a bit lower by the time I leave.

Good work, Jim.

I had another poor of Jeff 10 year. I like it, but I don't love it. Someone mentioned how the 100% ryes don't kick as much because you need the other grains to get the full experience. I think there's probably something to that.

Starting vacation early and celebrating 5 years of my wife and I not killing each other by opening a bottle of Hirsch 21 that was delivered today by the brown Santa... Also staring at my 375 of HW16 that is begging to be emptied.

Having a very small pour of VWFRR while waiting on some (hopefully!) good news from work.

Had a few unexpected gifts from a friend today. Enjoying the AE rye as an after dinner treat. Love the nose. Pineapple upside-down cake! Still assessing the palate. It's different, but I'm still getting plenty of rye spice. Soft entry and good length on the finish.

Oh, yeah, GO SPURS!

post-9014-14489819155808_thumb.jpg

Had a few unexpected gifts from a friend today. Enjoying the AE rye as an after dinner treat. Love the nose. Pineapple upside-down cake! Still assessing the palate. It's different, but I'm still getting plenty of rye spice. Soft entry and good length on the finish.

Oh, yeah, GO SPURS!

[ATTACH]15627[/ATTACH]

Did you happen to get a pumpkin pie or nutmeg/cinnamon with that long finish? I was fortunate enough to taste some tonight as well. Thanks Tom H. I had a little Christmas cookie on the nose as well. Very pleasantly surprised. Now if I could only find my own bottle. :-)

Got deep into the AE Rye last night. I thought it had almost a delicate gingerbread character to it. Definitely going to be a regular pour if I can get regular access to it. I don't think what I currently have is going to last very long!

Sounds like it will be an ongoing release, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Sounds like it will be an ongoing release, so that shouldn't be an issue.

It will help when it is going on to Georgia! Which hopefully will be the case by the end of the year.

I absolutely adore that 21 and what the refill barrel does or doesn't do for it. It's a pretty unique aged rye.

Ok, opened up the Hirsch 22 rye and did a side by side with H25 rye.

Note, I had a big pour of WLW and a humongous pour of GTS so . . .

They are both great and very similar.

Color slight edge to H25, a little darker amber

Nose slight edge to H22, a little more going on there but both could will be leaving you sniffing it all night and your wife asking what the heck is going on.

Taste - hmm I'm think I'm a little woodier than most also note I like PVW23 a lot. I have a slight edge to H25, a little more woody and interesting and more balance. I can see why many would love H22 rye more though. Sorry, it's like going out with a beautiful and interesting 27 year old or a 32 year old, you know what I mean. I'm happily marry so no temptation at this moment. Hahaha ;)

Finish, what's that, too many pours already. I think they are about the same but forgot about this. Both little to no burn which is what I like.

Cheers

Hugh

Edit - after 4 sip and letting it sit, H22 taste is taking the lead. Both are great.

9a9ypyza.jpg

Edited by tigerlam92

Hugh, try a 50/50 mix of those two ryes. I think you will enjoy.

Tried some Angel's Envy Rye last night and really liked it. Lovely rye-fruitiness with the rum cask finish rounding out the peppery notes. Bruce mentioned it was "quite drinkable" - and he was quite right!

Hugh, try a 50/50 mix of those two ryes. I think you will enjoy.

Interesting. Will do.

Thanks,

Hugh

Having a pour of Russel's Reserve Rye 6 yr. I think this may have been the first rye whiskey I ever tried (at a Wild Turkey distillery tour) and ever bought (immediately following at their gift shop). I thought it was amazing that day, but after expanding my rye experience - I find it more ordinary.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!