George Dickel Private Barrel Selection Program

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I heard recently from a pretty good source that Dickel will be launching a Private Barrel Selection Program under their "Barrel Select" label sometime this Summer. There will be two offerings: A 9 year at 103ish proof, and a 14 yr at 106ish proof. These were described as "nearly barrel proof", but a little water will be added to the barrels to try and maintain certain "profiles". Something new to look forward to, I guess.

Caveat: I may be off on the proofs and ages, as this discussion was after a few, or more, whiskies...:D

Also, the Red Label Dickel is history.

Both of those sound good and I hope become available. As for the Red, good riddance.

This is good news high proof 9 and 14 year select releases both sound tasty,as for the Cascade Hollow never found it to worth anything anyway.Dickel seems to be listening and playing the marketing game well,lets hope the pricing reflects this also and keeps it within reasonable realms.

This is pretty exciting. I'd like to taste some Dickel that has a bit more kick. The 12 is a great whiskey. Does anyone know how old it is?

This is pretty exciting. I'd like to taste some Dickel that has a bit more kick. The 12 is a great whiskey. Does anyone know how old it is?

I'd guess about 8 or 9, based on taste alone.

Dickel prices seem to be going up in the Twin Cities. #12 could be had for under $20 in many stores. Now it's around $22 in those same stores and over $25 elsewhere. #8 was nowhere to be found but now it's here and there (haven't noted the price). The rye tends to be the cheapest across the board in the $22-$24 range.

No. 12 has typically been 7-8 years but has been older when there was surplus stock.

say what y'all want to, but I know where there is a shelf full of cascade hollow that I will be purchasing. I like young whiskey though.

Both of those sound interesting. Wonder if the "water added to maintain profiles" is about bringing the bottle count up in barrels that have had a lot of evaporation or about softening the more concentrated flavors. It's often the short barrels that are the tastiest.

Cascade Hollow is $14 a 1.75 on close out locally. A couple handles found their way to my cabinet. I have tasted worse at much higher cost.

These sound interesting. I'll try them if I can find them.

Joe :usflag:

These sound interesting. I'll try them if I can find them.

Actually Joe, these are for private selections. I didn't take it that they would be avail in stores, but rather, selected by individuals.

Actually Joe, these are for private selections. I didn't take it that they would be avail in stores, but rather, selected by individuals.

Not doubting your source Joe...or I guess I am :grin:. Find it a bit odd that Dickel, without a current single barrel product, would start a private barrel selection program of single barrels versus (I know, I know, versus...I can't help it ;)) selling themselves. Anyway, considering their Dickel Barrel Reserve label is from 10 barrels, 86 proof and nas (but from barrels selected in 2006?), priced here at $40...I'd expect the 14 year-106 proof will not be a bargain buy for anybody, barrel buyers or by the bottle, and in the $100 a bottle range.

I would guess stores like TPS, Binny's etc would buy the barrels and make them available to the general public. I hope so at least

I would guess stores like TPS, Binny's etc would buy the barrels and make them available to the general public. I hope so at least

Right. Good point VG. There's no reason that certain retailers couldn't pick their own, like they do other barrels. So, these could be available in stores.

Both of those sound interesting. Wonder if the "water added to maintain profiles" is about bringing the bottle count up in barrels that have had a lot of evaporation or about softening the more concentrated flavors. It's often the short barrels that are the tastiest.

Cascade Hollow is $14 a 1.75 on close out locally. A couple handles found their way to my cabinet. I have tasted worse at much higher cost.

You guys using moonshine for starter over there Jim?

at that price .. it's getting reasonable. After all ... after reading Ray's thread on ethanols .. I've learned this stuff can make you drunk! Who'd a thunk it?

• 3 months later...

I haven't cracked a bottle yet, but I thought I'd announce that these George Dickel single barrels are now hitting shelves.

lJP7mxd.jpg?1

Oh very cool! Didn't know this was going to be available outside of Cascade Hollow.

Hopefully my favorite Chicagoland store will get this in soon so it's there for the taking.

You're wrong pal. They just hit the shelves in New York City, available to the general public.

You're wrong pal. They just hit the shelves in New York City, available to the general public.

It sure does look so, Joe. I just don't hear as well as I once did. ;)

I like that label, tells you everything you need to know without a lot of clutter.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.