George Dickel Private Barrel Selection Program

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The 9 and 14 will be officially available in Michigan on September 1. $45 for the 9, $65 for the 14.

Okay, so the 9 is just stellar stuff. Loads better than the 14. Classic Dickel profile ramped up to 11. This is the one.

• 4 weeks later...

This stuff has still not hit the shelves here and the retailers I asked about it looked at me like I was nuts. Anybody else in Michigan have better luck with it than I?

• 1 month later...

thanks!

for some reason, when i tried looking that up (before i posted inquiring if anyone knew of any), LB's site didnt pull it up when i typed 'george dickel', but does if you type 'dickel'. just a tip for other searchers....

This stuff has still not hit the shelves here and the retailers I asked about it looked at me like I was nuts. Anybody else in Michigan have better luck with it than I?

thanks!

for some reason, when i tried looking that up (before i posted inquiring if anyone knew of any), LB's site didnt pull it up when i typed 'george dickel', but does if you type 'dickel'. just a tip for other searchers....

These Dickels aren't moving too terribly fast. At least theres still boatloads around here. Doubt they have too much squirreled away.

These Dickels aren't moving too terribly fast. At least theres still boatloads around here. Doubt they have too much squirreled away.

Agreed, was more a general heads up on the LB search site.

And unless they show really deep stock...call first. Have had heir # be accurate but a few bottles "magically" locked away in the managers office. Listen, i know it's their call who they sell the bottles to, but the transparency of the web is a heck of a way to call their bluff.

ive experienced that as well.....as you likely remember my summer rant about how pissed i was that their inventory showed ECBP 'in stock' yet when i got there it was 'being held' for someone already. i call now if it shows less than 5 of what i want.

• 2 weeks later...

Martin Wine Cellar recently got in several barrel selections in, including two Dickel barrels, a 9 and 14 year.

I spent some time with them at the store. The 9 year wasn't bad, but I picked up on the flinty, mineral note that some have mentioned here. The 14 was over the hill, with lots of bitter wood. Plus, they were $50 and $70, and were sitting next to a $25 Henry McKenna selection that I thought was excellent.

Three other local retailers also did the same lineup: a 9 and a 14. I tasted one 9 year that I liked, and their price was more reasonable at $40, so I bought one of those.

I've heard the mineral note in Dickel described as "crisp, apple like" but however noted it is present and is something one either likes or not. I like it.

Met last night with Dickel Brand Ambassador and others touting the Private Barrel Program. He said the 14 year old is limited to 50 or 60 barrels they set aside for the program and that there will not be more for a few years. The 9 year old private barrel program is not limited. According to him, the juice goes in at low proof in their one-story warehouses (Squire) and the proof at bottling is very near barrel strength anyway. (115-120?) We tasted a flight of the various Dickels .. but not the private barrel 9 or 14. Samples are en-route to the local store. I enjoyed the Barrel Select very much ... ditto the 12 ... and after all of that, found the old Number 8 to be a standout with char goodness that I didn't find in the others.

That it's sweeter than most pours including Jack and bourbons .. isn't surprising with a mashbill of 84-8-8 Corn-Barley-Rye. That's a lot of corn!

Thanks Jon. For some reason I always ignore the No. 8 and perhaps I should reevaluate that position.

I think I will try to order a bottle of the 14yo this week.

Last week I did order a bottle but MI LCC came back with an "Out Of Stock" response.

my local LB had 5 of the 9 years a few weeks ago, 4 after i left. they said the 14's came and went quickly, which was fine with me, as with my history, id want to try the 9 before i tried the 14 anyway.

i cant imagine it being something that sells out quickly, GD fans are a minority it seems

• 2 months later...
The 9 and 14 will be officially available in Michigan on September 1. $45 for the 9, $65 for the 14.

These hit the Ohio list for January but are not widely available yet. Pricing is roughly the same with tax included.

These hit the Ohio list for January but are not widely available yet. Pricing is roughly the same with tax included.

sounds like its a continued release then? I hope so......

The grocery store by my house just put out a shelf full of 9yr since last time I was there. Was tempted to buy one at fox's recommendation but held back since I had just bought a few bottles recently that I've yet to open. Hopefully it sticks around a while and I'll be back for one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Hopefully it sticks around a while and I'll be back for one.

I've said that, more than once, wrong every time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.