George Dickel Private Barrel Selection Program

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

That comment was from the November Diageo investors meeting. They said they had sold 200 barrels and expect to sell 300. They also said they were going to gradually raise the price as they thought it was worth more than they are now charging. They mentioned $19 for Dickel 8 and $24 for Dickel 12

That comment was from the November Diageo investors meeting. They said they had sold 200 barrels and expect to sell 300. They also said they were going to gradually raise the price as they thought it was worth more than they are now charging. They mentioned $19 for Dickel 8 and $24 for Dickel 12

I've been seeing those prices in the Twin Cities for a while now (and higher). But I've seen it on special quite a bit in the last month or two, so maybe they're using the JC Penny pricing model.

'worth it' is a subjective term. As much as I like it, I do think it is already pushing the price border of 'worth it'. Dickel is a peculiar profile that isnt as widely liked as regular bourbon is, yet other companies....say, Beam.....regularly offer 9 year old, 100 proof KC across the entire country at a regular price of just below $30 in most places. I rave about this 9 year Dickel more than any other whiskey, but if it crosses the $50 mark, I will not buy it anymore. That's just my personal rule. Honestly, I think it is 'worth' $40 for the 9 year.

At more than twice the price of 90 proof Dickel 12, $45 has to be very profitable for them as it is. I wouldnt imagine that a brand with limited appeal (relative to other actual bourbons) would want to scare off customers by significantly raising prices, but who knows the logic large corporations use.

$24 for Dickel 12? Maybe if it were actually 12 years old......you are then getting into the price category of EC12, which IS actually 12 years old and not just #12

The bourbon market offers a lot of choices from a lot of competitors. Like it or not, you have to compete with other companies offering similar proof/age/profile targets.....unless you have marketing geniuses that can fool people into dropping large chunks of their wallets for 'limited' this-or-that, or status symbols

Edited by 393foureyedfox

In the stores that are doing the private barrels see if you can taste the 9 or 14 before you buy them... I had a 9 that was pretty good but I blindly bought one from another local store and it is completely undrinkable. A friend was picking a 14 for his store and all 3 samples he received were so bad that we poured out what little we put into our glasses and he shipped the samples directly back to Dickel. I had a few people try my 9 yr bottle this weekend and no one could even palate more than a sip so it is not just me

$24 for Dickel 12? Maybe if it were actually 12 years old......you are then getting into the price category of EC12, which IS actually 12 years old and not just #12

Yes, but Dickel 12 is way more consistent than Elijah Craig. I like EC12, even love the good ones, but they are all over the map.

In the stores that are doing the private barrels see if you can taste the 9 or 14 before you buy them... I had a 9 that was pretty good but I blindly bought one from another local store and it is completely undrinkable. A friend was picking a 14 for his store and all 3 samples he received were so bad that we poured out what little we put into our glasses and he shipped the samples directly back to Dickel. I had a few people try my 9 yr bottle this weekend and no one could even palate more than a sip so it is not just me

I expect the 14 year to have more variety than the 9 year, as its had more time to take on individual profiles. All the 9 year I have stockpiled all came from the same local large chain store, and although I doubt it mattered, I got as many consecutive numbers of bottles as I could.

Ive heard people, it may have even been you, say they thought the 9 year was horrendous. It may be your tastes or it may be a unique barrel. As with any whiskey, theyre gonna vary. Tasting samples at the store would be great, if your store offered them. Mine didnt. I bought it since I had a gift card and thought the 9 year and 103 proof fit the general profile requirements that I tend to like, so I blindly bought it. Fortunately, I was pleased, though I was (truthfully) indifferent at first.

I don't think the Tennessee style whiskys, Dickel or Daniels, lend themselves to long aging. The Lincoln County process is itself an aging jump start and the already light profile whiskys simply get too woody and out of balance much past 8 years or so.

If they are saying that at an investor meeting (or earnings call) they are likely talking about the price THEY will charge out the door - that is the price that would matter to their bottom line. So if these are the new entry prices into the three-tier system, you'd be paying much more down the road.

Like Hell I will, there's more than one girl at this dance.

smart people realize you can vote with your wallet, right squire?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.