What bourbon do you take with you?

TheNovaMan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Suppose you have to go to a friend's house for a week or two, and he lives on the other side of the same state, so at best the selection there is the same as in your town, but the prices might not be as good. You've got a pretty nice selection of whiskey at home, but you can't take it all with you. What do you take?

Bonus: suppose your friend lives near Detroit, and you have a passport, so a trip to the duty-free shop might happen. Is there anything worthwhile there? (Not just posted on a list on the interwebnets, but actually on the shelves.)

Duh...there is plenty of Ten High Straight at said friends house to drink...at least that's what I hear! ;)

Joking aside when I'm packing bourbon for the week I typically bring some of each flavor...a rye, rye-bourbon, and a wheater so whatever I have the taste for I can have.

Quite often, Jack Daniels. Not sure why, since you can score it anywhere, but there it is.

Gary

I like traveling with a nice bonded expression, something that'll work on the rocks or in a flask or if a friend wants it in ginger ale or whatever: OGD BIB, RittBIB, HH White (when I have a bottle), or OF Sig, something like that.

For some reason when I am traveling with a flask, and its been warming up in my pocket, the higher proofs tend to get a bit harsh for my taste. So, something light bodied and low proof typically goes in the traveling flask.

Good info, but we're talking considerably more than flask quantity. ;)

Just out of habit I usually go with a Lot B, and a FR OBSK to give me 2 great bourbons with totally different taste profiles.

I always bring an OWA. The others will vary and usually something I can't buy where I'm at but always an OWA :grin:.

When I travel for business I pack some 4R. Usually satisfies my palate, and can be hit or miss finding it. I'll usually bring a rye too, unless I'm headed up north to Wisconsin, then I bring an empty vehicle!

I would agree with fricky who nicely summed up a guest minding his manners. Of course I would also take a spare for me.

I always find it a good exercise to take things of varying ages and proof of the same mash bill,whether it be Blantons and RHF's ,Wellers or ryes of a different label.I think this keeps things interesting and if you aren't having fun with this hobby you are doing something drastically wrong.

When I travel I always take a 3-bottle styrofoam box in hopes of some successful hunting. Always a good excuse to add to the collection.

I'd take nothing, and instead would head to a local store with my host so we can pick up a bottle each - my shout.

Pappy 20 has travelled with me before; drank almost a whole bottle on a volleyball weekend tournament last year. people loved it.

I'd also probably take a 4R smB or SB. I might also bring a BMH, since it's uncommon and would be a treat.

I'd probably try to bring some variety - maybe a GTS (assuming I REALLY like this friend that is!), an OWA, and a FRSB. When I'm just traveling on business and packing a 3oz flask, I tend to go with something higher proof like a THH, GTS, or WLW (mainly for the opportunity to potentially introduce a co-worker after-hours to what great whiskey is!)

I have a six bottle carrier that I take with me wherever I go. Whether that's to my parents house within the neighborhood for dinner, or across the state for a few days to visit family. As a matter of fact, I'm going across the state to visit family this evening.

In my six bottle carrier there's:

2 Willett SBs

2 OWA SBs

1 OGD114

1 2012 GTS

I travel with VOB BIB ... I always have a 200 mL bottle of VOB BIB in my car trunk, my leather travel bag and my office desk drawer ... I pick up the small plastic 200 ml VOB BIB bottles when I go to KY (at $3.00 a bottle) ... and just refill them from my handle. They are by far the best flasks I've ever owned. This is my everyday pour ... I just feel comfortable with it ...

All my previous vacations, either the many cruises or oversea, I had brought along my trusted bottles of PVW15. Unfortunately, I've burned through them so fast this way. One time I brought along a GTS with the PVW15.

My next vacation, I'm planning to bring a PHC and probably a LotB.

The problem is most places don't have any premium wheated bourbon. I end up drinking Scotch or Martini as substitute.

Cheers

Hugh

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.