Stout Recommendations?

Bryan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm a huge fan of stouts and I'm looking to try some new ones. My favorites so far are Founder's Breakfast Stout (as well as the KBS, oh my god it's good..), Pisgah Brewing's Vortex II. These guys are out of Asheville, NC and their Vortex II is a really good Russian Imperial. I also really enjoy the Old Rasputin from North Coast Brewing.

Anyone have any recommendations?

I really like Oskar Blues Ten Fidy. As far as local Utah beers go, Epic Brewing makes a great barrel aged imperial stout called Big Bad Baptist which I highly recommend if you see it.

Speedway Stout, Hardywood Park Gingerbread Stout, Williamsburg Alewerks Cafe Royale, Stone Russian Imperial to name a few world class stouts.

Evil Twins Biscotti Break was just released and should be available in almost all states. It is a gigantic stout, milk chocolate, dark chocolate, coffee are all very prevalent. A barrel aged version would be unbelievable too.

Bells Expedition is always solid. Great Lakes Blackout is another very good one.

I'll throw Left Hands Nitro Milk Stout out there. Love the creaminess on this one.

Ah, you guys are bringing back some good memories of beers I've forgoten about! Dragon's Milk, Ten Fidy, and Biscotti Break are all really well done. I'm really curious to find the Big Bad Baptist and I think I'll do some searching. Barrel-aged beers are always awesome.

Best pint of stout I ever tasted came out of a tap behind a bar in Cork, Ireland.

Murphy's Cream Stout, as I recall. Probably made down the road a piece.

Here's a question regarding stout. Many years ago when I could still drink beers ales and stouts, I used to get one in Michigan markets (whose name I can no longer recall; thus the question) that was made in Jamaica (I'm pretty sure). Everyone who I ask this question comes up with Red Stripe which it was not. It was a very sweet 'molassesy', very dark brew. This goes back around 30-years so the question for all the oldsters like me is this: Does anybody know what the heck that stuff was???

Here's a question regarding stout. Many years ago when I could still drink beers ales and stouts, I used to get one in Michigan markets (whose name I can no longer recall; thus the question) that was made in Jamaica (I'm pretty sure). Everyone who I ask this question comes up with Red Stripe which it was not. It was a very sweet 'molassesy', very dark brew. This goes back around 30-years so the question for all the oldsters like me is this: Does anybody know what the heck that stuff was???

Maybe Desnoes & Geddes Dragon Stout or Jamaica Stout by Big City Brewing?

Hoppin' Frog D.O.R.I.S. the Destroyer. Stands for double oatmeal Russian imperial stout. It's absolutely fantastic.

Hey HP12! You know, it's been so long since I drank any of it either one of these sounds like it may be right. Not important, other than I was scratching my head trying to remember it when a friend asked about sweet stouts a few weex ago. THANX!

Hoppin frog BORIS, Ten Fidy, Southern Tier 2X, Dark Horse Plead the Fifth just to name a few

Mikkeller Black. Why so expensive? Because it is worth it.

I had one of these last month. Definitely amazing brew. Heavy espresso flavors. Worth the crazy high price.

Lancaster brewing milk stout is fantastic if you can find it on tap; in the bottle it is still pretty decent. Also, although I don't remember the specific names of the brews, I recently visited Firestone Walker out in CA, and they had a range of some of the best beers I have ever had, period....including a couple of stouts. Can't wait until they start to distribute here.

I love the Russian imperial stouts. Some that are easy to get and really good IMHO are the Oskar Blues Ten Fidy and Weyerbacher Tiny. The Tiny is like drinking a chocolate shake as it is thick thick thick. Great stuff

Mike

The stout from Jamaica, I believe was Dragon Stout. I have recently had Stockyard Oatmeal Stout, and the stout by Killian's (Coors/Miller). The Killian's was better than I expected it would be.

KBS is a fave but always in small quantities and annual release,I will give Ten Fidy a welcome nod and Speedway stout is great and pretty easy to find as well.

• 4 months later...

There's a lot of great recommendations here, but I didn't see one I just fell in love with. Out of Bounds stout by Avery instantly became one of my all time faves.

My new favorite is Prairie Bomb! It's an Imperial Stout aged on coffee, cacao nibs, vanilla beans, and chili peppers. Not the easiest thing in the world to find, but I've not had much that comes close.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.