Operation Swill

Barrel_Proof
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

You can trust my swill more than you can trust their swill, and you can trust me on that.

The newest sensation on drinks menus in bars and restaurants across New Jersey today is named The Real Swill.

Perhaps a new reality show named "the Jersey Swill" is in the pipeline now?

The latest news report says one of the bars served a Scotch that was made up from rubbing alcohol and caramel flavor/coloring.

So that would make it a "blended" whisky...........................right?

I see that TGI Friday's restaurants in NJ were busted for selling caramel-colored rubbing alcohol as Scotch. Apparently, some the customers couldn't tell the difference. Reminded me of the wine "experts" who couldn't tell red from white varieties if served in a dark glass. I have more confidence in SBers' ability to recognize bourbon when we drink it. Even so, I won't be doing a blind tasting of rubbing alcohol vs. Booker's any time soon.

I see that TGI Friday's restaurants in NJ were busted for selling caramel-colored rubbing alcohol as Scotch. Apparently, some the customers couldn't tell the difference. Reminded me of the wine "experts" who couldn't tell red from white varieties if served in a dark glass. I have more confidence in SBers' ability to recognize bourbon when we drink it. Even so, I won't be doing a blind tasting of rubbing alcohol vs. Booker's any time soon.

I have wondered how long it will be before counterfeit whiskey starts showing up. happens quite often with some of the very high end wines.

We have now set a SB site record for redundancy. :lol:

The latest news report says one of the bars served a Scotch that was made up from rubbing alcohol and caramel flavor/coloring.

Isn't rubbing alcohol highly toxic?

Isn't rubbing alcohol highly toxic?

Isopropyl is, ethyl is not. Both are considered rubbing alcohol. In Iran people who have access to 99.9% ethyl alcohol are considered to be living high on the hog, since at least you know that booze is coming from a reputable source and isn't the product of home distillation without head and tails cut out, leading to poisoning and death. Of course that ethanol is meant for medical purposes, but most of the stuff gets consumed recreationally.

Ah, sick bay alcohol, my Dad told me about alternative uses for that stuff when he served in WW2.

We have now set a SB site record for redundancy. :lol:

Not yet. The pilfered pre-pro rye story had more merges than this.

This time last year I was drinking that "sick bay alcohol" since I was in Iran. There is NO way you wouldn't be able to tell the difference, even if you've got the palate of an anteater. The buzz is weird too, not very pleasant.

I worked in restaurants for years and never saw anyone do this. Just seems like a shady practice done by shady people. I wouldn't say it's the norm.

This time last year I was drinking that "sick bay alcohol" since I was in Iran. There is NO way you wouldn't be able to tell the difference, even if you've got the palate of an anteater. The buzz is weird too, not very pleasant.

I'm pretty sure my dossier is a mile thick, but it's mostly full of red herrings and dead-ends, with a few snapped g-strings and a bunch of broken hearts tossed in for good measure :lol: No bullshit, there are many reasons it took me a decade to work up the courage to go there. The fear of NSA attention being the least of them. But wanderlust has always driven my mendicant soul, and I felt like trying to see the world without even knowing the place where I was born was a pretty disingenuous way of going about things, but I seriously digress...

Back on topic sometimes I suspect that there are a couple of local places in MA that cut their booze with ethyl alcohol or other cheaper stuff, but I don't frequent any bars where I would suspect the quality of what I'm being served.

This is precisely why when I am out and order a mixed drink I request the well.......................that and I'm a cheap bastard......................................sorry Mom....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.