What non-whisk(e)y spirit are you drinking?

BigBoldBully
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Revisiting several old favorites for a bit of palate re-calibration… tough to beat the Bigallet China-China for AMER deliciousness.

IMG_8583.thumb.jpg.796b321416d767210e8b8ea1e704e9db.jpg

IMG_8585.thumb.jpg.bb3bea99fde1e81d94d8800dc90d941a.jpg

That's some serious inventory on the shelves! I'm assuming quite a wide variety of spirits

On 2/1/2018 at 9:13 PM, Vosgar said:

That's some serious inventory on the shelves! I'm assuming quite a wide variety of spirits

As I recall Marekv8 is in "the industry". One of the many virtues of having access to the company inventory!

I have long since quit trying to keep up with all the amaro's and liqueurs that have come out recently. Both imports or re-releases of older labels and new creations have been coming out of the woodwork of late.

I do have the China-China and it is a good one!

On 2/1/2018 at 8:13 PM, Vosgar said:

I'm assuming quite a wide variety of spirits

Yes, diversity is key. I don't have many multiples of any one expression, preferring to build competitive sets within each category (and price point within categories where applicable). I try to open and sample everything, but that's proven harder than it sounds.

On 2/3/2018 at 11:02 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

I have long since quit trying to keep up with all the amaro's and liqueurs that have come out recently. Both imports or re-releases of older labels and new creations have been coming out of the woodwork of late.

I'm totally with you on this one. With a few exceptions-- most newer (especially American) "craft" interpretations and resurrections of vintage liqueurs and cocktail components fall short of the mark. I tend to focus on long-standing historical liquids that communicate a sense of place/terroir or have local/regional/national significance (basically a cultural handshake).

• 3 weeks later...

New from Cappelletti… it's Jeppson's Malört's crazy Italian cousin. As a huge wormwood fan, this really does it for me-- one hell of a lengthy bitter finish.

IMG_8743.thumb.jpg.1e96acfa57f65e1974fc43e98569ba9b.jpg

3 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

New from Cappelletti… it's Jeppson's Malört's crazy Italian cousin. As a huge wormwood fan, this really does it for me-- one hell of a lengthy bitter finish.

IMG_8743.thumb.jpg.1e96acfa57f65e1974fc43e98569ba9b.jpg

Hmm, "one hell of a lengthy bitter finish" might an herb too far for me!

Another tequila SBS, blanco vs extra anejo. I think the aged expression is well past its prime and doesn't resemble a tequila at all, next to no baked agave. The blanco is a good time.

MVIMG_20180306_202348.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Partida anejo vs. the super expensive extra anejo. One of the few extra anejos I thorougly enjoy.

After the Binny's World of Whisky and Whiskeyfest in Chicago the past couple of days I somehow managed to finagle my way into the Office, part of and located beneath the Aviary. Drinks and staff were delightful but to complex to describe in detail (it was after all the fourth bar of the night and already getting late when I got there...). 

There was one bottle that I found particularly interesting among the many interesting bottles they had. They bar makes "dusty" cocktails using ingredients made in the period. In this case it was a Brooklyn that included Amer Picon. The kicker was that the ingredients were from the 1940's!

5ab81592bd291_AmerPicon1940.JPG.88fbd973d0b3935eb1ae692d7eafca03.JPG

Unfortunately the cocktail itself was a little pricey (as in around $450!). So I just had to use my imagination. Not sure my imagination is that good. But it didn't cost me as much either!

Edited by tanstaafl2
  • I like it 2

• 1 month later...

This one finally made it into the state today… I've got to pick up some ice cream tomorrow to pour this over.

IMG_9235.thumb.jpg.acf53fd1347fa93215696be299278cc7.jpg

On 3/24/2018 at 10:18 PM, kevinbrink said:

Hanging out with the home team tonight

y4mc4NujpLk7DwqEKeFLJ4X6f6jwhnNvEG0sIauf

Just saw this.  I am truly envious.  I like basic Lairds bonded better than quite a few Calvados (but not all) I've been talked into.

• I like it 1

17 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

This one finally made it into the state today… I've got to pick up some ice cream tomorrow to pour this over.

IMG_9235.thumb.jpg.acf53fd1347fa93215696be299278cc7.jpg

Before you head to the store to get some ice cream, you might want to do a google search and look up Banana Banshee and Chocoloate Monkey drinks. ;) Just sayin'.

Biba! Joe

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Before you head to the store to get some ice cream, you might want to do a google search and look up Banana Banshee and Chocoloate Monkey drinks. ;) Just sayin'.

Biba! Joe

Thanks Joe! The frozen version of the Banana Banshee looks fabulous. I just gained 10 pounds on my Arkansas trip-- so it may take a few weeks until I'm up for it.

Regards, Dave

18 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Thanks Joe! The frozen version of the Banana Banshee looks fabulous. I just gained 10 pounds on my Arkansas trip-- so it may take a few weeks until I'm up for it.

Regards, Dave

I know Dave. Many, many years ago, a place I worked at had a bar that was somehat well known for their ice cream drinks. The bar manger was nice enough to share some of their drink recipes with me. ????

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

El Tesoro blanco, reposado, anejo SBS. Of course, more than 2 drinks at a time is illegal in MA, I feel like a badass, no rules tonight.

15268640599249166470632134592783.jpg

Edited by Kane

And these, just wow. Good mezcal always has that wow effect tequila can't match.

IMG_20180520_213258.jpg

Esmé, a French gin. I've never been into gin much, but I can drink and love it neat, on rocks, in a martini, or gin and tonic. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sipping some 126 proof  Copper and Kings apple brandy which is freaking delicious 

Sipping some 126 proof  Copper and Kings apple brandy which is freaking delicious 

That sounds fantastic. Is it a private barrel pick?

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a hot one today (by our standards) and I've been enjoying a few pours of Somerset Cider Brandy over ice. Not too familiar with brandy so I can only describe it as very strong flat cider with an oaky flavour. And very pleasant it is too. 

Screenshot_20180627-001903_Photos.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.