What non-whisk(e)y spirit are you drinking?

BigBoldBully
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 2/28/2022 at 9:40 PM, Marekv8 said:

You’ll have to refresh my memory on a Cynar based blend, I’m drawing a blank. 

I'm no expert; and discovered quite by accident.  

When mixed in equal-ish parts, the Cynar Black and Red blend becomes way more than the sum of its parts.  Synergy takes over, and the base clef of the Red carries the wailing jazz of the Black perfectly!!  

Rich, floral, powdery, herbal, citrus; it has it all.  Each are just okay by themselves, but the blend is simply ah-maze-ing!!  

Please try them SBSBS and tell me I'm spouting nonsense; but I can't stop blending them!!  

Edited by Guss West

12 hours ago, Guss West said:

When mixed in equal-ish parts, the Cynar Black and Red blend becomes way more than the sum of its parts.  Synergy takes over, and the base clef of the Red carries the wailing jazz of the Black perfectly!!  

Rich, floral, powdery, herbal, citrus; it has it all.  Each are just okay by themselves, but the blend is simply ah-maze-ing!!  

Please try them SBSBS and tell me I'm spouting nonsense; but I can't stop blending them!!  

Sure thing-- I've also got a few other artichoke liqueurs I can add to the mix.

On 3/15/2022 at 8:34 PM, Guss West said:

By red and black I presume you mean original Cynar (red) and the more recent Cynar 70 (Black). I find original Cynar to be excellent. The 70 is too heavy, syrupy and cloying to me. Blending them certainly helps make the 70 more tolerable but for me it is still nowhere near as good as the original version on its own.

I've got to agree with Bruce, this is still too sweet-- even for Saturday morning breakfast. I was tempted to hit it with a bit of white agricole to shake it down.

IMG_7786.thumb.jpg.91aceb667ffee63d8fdc6c51f9c8313c.jpg

As usual recently, it took a while to convince the server that such a thing existed and that they happened to have a bottle behind the bar. 

126FEF8B-3201-4AE7-A8B0-CB75AF9CFA49.thumb.jpeg.4118c0a5878d9c4517f80c355d932524.jpeg

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

As usual recently, it took a while to convince the server that such a thing existed and that they happened to have a bottle behind the bar. 

126FEF8B-3201-4AE7-A8B0-CB75AF9CFA49.thumb.jpeg.4118c0a5878d9c4517f80c355d932524.jpeg

Well, a friend who I turned on to the this combination, ordered it recently and it arrived in one glass.  Yep, they dumped the Fernet into the coffee.  He took a sip trying to be a good sport but couldn't do it.  He very patiently explained that one does not go in the other. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, BigRich said:

Well, a friend who I turned on to the this combination, ordered it recently and it arrived in one glass.  Yep, they dumped the Fernet into the coffee.  He took a sip trying to be a good sport but couldn't do it.  He very patiently explained that one does not go in the other. 

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, BigRich said:

Was your friend in Kentucky by chance? That's happened to me twice in Louisville and yes, the sum is far lesser than the parts.

14 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Was your friend in Kentucky by chance? That's happened to me twice in Louisville and yes, the sum is far lesser than the parts.

Atlanta.

Catching up after a few nights-- luckily no supply issues on Fernet-Branca in Vegas, I'm sure due to the low demand:

IMG_7798.jpg.a561a518d93ac2ba6311731627c37039.jpg

IMG_7814.jpg.7868572f8a846f86d6b67b0446a1dc25.jpg

IMG_7817.jpg.699d99ea1ca68aff66416adfcf58d577.jpg

• I like it 2

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

A proper setup in Westbrook, CT…

EDD23ECD-4389-43A7-821E-6621FB11E777.thumb.jpeg.73765a94bff416d685d660ac1db32812.jpeg

I love the variety of glassware options for the Fernet.

• I like it 1

After a nice Mothers Day Eve dinner in New Haven…

5619DAA3-7F43-4C82-BEE9-2D172C0209C8.thumb.jpeg.433b22f98aef768cba6dbec5aa90f00e.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 5/7/2022 at 4:28 PM, flahute said:

I love the variety of glassware options for the Fernet.

Admittedly, my consumption is nowhere near Dave's but I've never had it served the same twice.  

• 2 weeks later...

I had tried this gin at the Limestone Branch distillery back in October. At that time it was only available there.

This Friday my wife are having another couple over for dinner, and they are gin drinkers. I was pleasantly surprised to find out Bowling and Burch is now available locally! 

C2AE94D1-8C72-41EB-ABA4-5845248652B3.jpeg

• I like it 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Prepping a variety of travel digestifs for an upcoming trip…

IMG_8245.thumb.jpg.83811130a90e6507b222416435e5052a.jpg

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.