What Rye Are You Drinking? Summer 2013

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Saz 18 2011 - been several months since I've last poured it, and definitely enjoying it more tonight than when I last had it!

I have only had the 2012 Saz 18, is there a lot of variance between years?

Thanks for the heads up! Wonder why the overnight buying spree? Did it get rated number one on some blog?

Per Robert Parker's twitter it's only available at the distillery. :P

I have only had the 2011 and 2012. Presumably all the same whiskey, just another year in the vat. I believe some have indicate it is slowly fading but my palate wasn't that sophisticated. Tasted pretty similar to me. Then again I haven't had any from the earlier years where it might be substantially better. Stands to reason I suppose.

I have only had the 2011 and 2012. Presumably all the same whiskey, just another year in the vat. I believe some have indicate it is slowly fading but my palate wasn't that sophisticated. Tasted pretty similar to me. Then again I haven't had any from the earlier years where it might be substantially better. Stands to reason I suppose.

Yeah, I suppose. But my taste buds tell me it's all very good! I would buy any year if available at retail.

We had a side by side of Saz 18 from 2000 (or whenever the first or second batch was) and the current Saz 18 at the last Houston SB meeting and the consensus was that there was no real difference (contrary to what was expected.)

Yeah, I suppose. But my taste buds tell me it's all very good! I would buy any year if available at retail.

As would I! The availability is of course the tricky part.

We had a side by side of Saz 18 from 2000 (or whenever the first or second batch was) and the current Saz 18 at the last Houston SB meeting and the consensus was that there was no real difference (contrary to what was expected.)

Good to know! I was certainly happy with what I have.

The 2011 is the only one I've owned. Honestly, I prefer Handy over it - but tonight was pretty happy with it!

Finally got my hands on a Ritt BIB DSP-1 (thanks Bill for the tip!) Did a blind tasting, although a bit stuffy - so this is only a preliminary. I found them fairly similar, but tonight preferred the DSP-1! Now - my DSP-354 was just opened within the past week, so neither has had much air time. And - I'm a bit stuffy. But - I'm also now a bit optimistic!

Started with Bulleit and now onto a HW21.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

Back to the Ritt BIB DSP-1 vs 354 tonight. After shuffling around, did a series of four small "sip offs" (spaced over about 40 min or so). Picked DSP-1 over 354 on 3 of the 4 contests. Really encouraged so far!

Back to the Ritt BIB DSP-1 vs 354 tonight. After shuffling around, did a series of four small "sip offs" (spaced over about 40 min or so). Picked DSP-1 over 354 on 3 of the 4 contests. Really encouraged so far!

V23 for me last night. Was going to have one pour but it turned into three. Delicious juice.

V23 for me last night. Was going to have one pour but it turned into three. Delicious juice.

The Ritt DSP-1 makes for a killer old fashioned. After the expected sweetness comes a nice hit of peppery spice. Good job, HH!

AE Rye. It's rye with a brown sugar finish. It's hard to beieve how sweet this finishes. I need to make a rum cake with this stuff!

Opened a bottle of HW Rendezvous . :)

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

Attended a cookout yesterday and brought some Ritt BIB,GD Rye and Jefferson's and surprisingly enough everyone seemed to levitate towards the Jefferson's as I figured the Ritt would have been the crowd favorite among a field of non rye experienced drinkers.

I had picked up several of the 10yr. ryes some time back while they were still non-chill filtered for $26 which I feel is a great bargain for a 10yr. age stated Canadian sourced rye.

Attended a cookout yesterday and brought some Ritt BIB,GD Rye and Jefferson's and surprisingly enough everyone seemed to levitate towards the Jefferson's as I figured the Ritt would have been the crowd favorite among a field of non rye experienced drinkers.

This doesn't surprise me. I find the 100% mashbills to be very sweet and simple for some reason. It needs interaction with malt and/or corn to really come to life, IMO.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!