What Cocktail are you Enjoying Summer '13?

scratchline
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've heard about the cuke thing too, B. But, we don't have any now, (Unless, you count my bottle of Willett 4yr 110 proof LDI Rye :D) in the house. But, the back label of the Pimm's gave a recipe with the lemon, (which I do have) so I went with that. Cukes are on the shoppin' list, though!

My favorite Pimm's Cup recipe ... from the Napoleon House in New Orleans ...

Fill a tall 12 oz glass with ice and add 1 1/4 oz. Pimm's #1 and 3 oz lemonade.

Then top off with 7up.

Garnish with cucumber.

I use a cuke spear, rather than a slice ...

I had a Bourbon Bacon Vanilla Milkshake at some new burger bar while visiting my folks in Toledo, OH. Pretty darn tasty.

Tried a Mackinnon cocktail last night as I look for an interesting but light and fizzy summer drink.

Mackinnon Cocktail

2 oz Drambuie

1⁄2 oz Light rum (I used Flor de Cana 4yo white)

1⁄2 oz Lemon juice

1⁄2 oz Lime juice

3 oz Club soda or seltzer water

1 slice Lime as garnish

Optional: 2 dashes Peychaud's bitters

Build in a highball glass, top with club soda, stir gently, garnish

I liked the addition of the Peychaud's and it is a good way to get through a bottle of Drambuie that has been sitting around for awhile. It is not quite as good as "My Favorite Mechanic is a Woman" but then what is...

Good one, I think we still have some Drambuie that's been hanging around here for ever so long.

Well, after all these years, a meeting with an old friend where he encouraged me to pick up a bottle of green Chartreuse. We knocked back a few glasses, and ever since I have been enjoying it on the rocks. Thick, sticky, sweet, medicinal... I love it. God bless those Trappists.

Well, after all these years, a meeting with an old friend where he encouraged me to pick up a bottle of green Chartreuse. We knocked back a few glasses, and ever since I have been enjoying it on the rocks. Thick, sticky, sweet, medicinal... I love it. God bless those Trappists.

If you liked that you might be ready for the "Vieillissement Exceptionnellement Prolonge" or V.E.P. extra aged version! Probably about three times the cost but oh so mellow and tasty despite being 108 proof.

Spendy but at least you get a full liter.

But they are Carthusian monks, not Trappists!

Tried a Mackinnon cocktail last night as I look for an interesting but light and fizzy summer drink.

Mackinnon Cocktail

2 oz Drambuie

1⁄2 oz Light rum (I used Flor de Cana 4yo white)

1⁄2 oz Lemon juice

1⁄2 oz Lime juice

3 oz Club soda or seltzer water

1 slice Lime as garnish

Optional: 2 dashes Peychaud's bitters

Build in a highball glass, top with club soda, stir gently, garnish

I liked the addition of the Peychaud's and it is a good way to get through a bottle of Drambuie that has been sitting around for awhile. It is not quite as good as "My Favorite Mechanic is a Woman" but then what is...

That was exactly the drink I was looking for, and would have been a perfect way to use up that bottle of Drambuie I've never bought for precisely that reason. Alas, I turned elsewhere in search of my light cocktail fix and found myself at the Delores Park Swizzle.

1 oz amontillado sherry

1 oz reposado tequila

3/4 oz lime juice

3/4 oz ginger syrup

1/4 oz falernum

Shake well and strain into a tall glass filled with crushed ice. Swizzle. Top with several dashes of aromatic bitters and a healthy sprig of mint.

Damned if it wasn't just as satisfying. It was in a modestly different vein (spicy light swizzle rather than refreshing sour fizz), but still fit the bill of post-work, summer night cocktail.

Edited by Alphanumeric

that sounds nice. i recommend dry shaking without ice first to get the egg whites to do their magic. @RTVSteve

But they are Carthusian monks, not Trappists!

Ugh, you are so right! My mistake! Thomas Merton is spinning in his grave.

I got an interesting idea from the current issue of Esquire magazine - an Old Fashioned made with tequila. I am pleasantly surprised at how good it is.

Tim

I got an interesting idea from the current issue of Esquire magazine - an Old Fashioned made with tequila. I am pleasantly surprised at how good it is.

Tim

It has been a regular at my house for awhile. A nice reposado with a splash of dark agave syrup and Xocolatl Mole bitters does nicely! Sometimes use Agavero orange liqueur, which is made with agave syrup, orange essence and tequila, in place of agave syrup as a change of pace.

It has been a regular at my house for awhile. A nice reposado with a splash of dark agave syrup and Xocolatl Mole bitters does nicely! Sometimes use Agavero orange liqueur, which is made with agave syrup, orange essence and tequila, in place of agave syrup as a change of pace.

I kept mine the essence of simplicity, to see what the cocktail tastes like on its own. Just a teaspoon of sugar, a few drops of Angostura bitters, a splash of water to dissolve the sugar, and a healthy pour of blue agave tequila.

Tim

And for those who weren't there or otherwise know, tanstaafl2, is quite the doctor of mixology :). He required a dolly to bring all his potables to set up for our cocktail hour at the Sampler which was greatly enjoyed by all including Mosugoji64 and Smokinjoe.

post-3665-1448981948012_thumb.jpg

post-3665-14489819478949_thumb.jpg

post-3665-14489819479549_thumb.jpg

That sounds absolutely delicious! Now where the heck do I find those bitters...

That sounds absolutely delicious! Now where the heck do I find those bitters...

Originally produced by The Bitter Truth for Bittermens it is now available under the Bittermens label. According to their website it is distributed by a group called the Country Vintner in the DC area. Gotta be a few places in the DC area that carry it.

The Bitter Truth still makes their own version of Chocolate bitters although it is now a bit different from the original Bittermens version. But an adequate substitute if you can't find the other.

Edited by tanstaafl2

Originally produced by The Bitter Truth for Bittermens it is now available under the Bittermens label. According to their website it is distributed by a group called the Country Vintner in the DC area. Gotta be a few places in the DC area that carry it. The Bitter Truth still makes their own version of Chocolate bitters although it is now a bit different from the original Bittermens version. But an adequate substitute if you can't find the other.
It's likely on the way home from work (sheesh, I'm kind of embarrassed)! My wife loves chocolate stouts brewed with mole spices, so it's a given that I'll get a hug if I bring home some bitters :)

Urggh, I got Fees Aztec Chocolate bitters because it was the first one I saw and it was so goldarn hot... I didn't notice until I got home that it has glycerin and artificial flavors.

I made a low-rent version of yours, with this stuff and some New Holland Hatter Royale, which is barley vodka steeped with Centennial hops. It tastes a heck of a lot like tequila. Despite the woeful ingredients, it tasted great!

Urggh, I got Fees Aztec Chocolate bitters because it was the first one I saw and it was so goldarn hot... I didn't notice until I got home that it has glycerin and artificial flavors.

I made a low-rent version of yours, with this stuff and some New Holland Hatter Royale, which is barley vodka steeped with Centennial hops. It tastes a heck of a lot like tequila. Despite the woeful ingredients, it tasted great!

The availability and wide array of options of Fee products is appealing and I have several of their bitters. Their barrel aged aromatic bitters are pretty good. But I always prefer spirit based bitters with natural ingredients when I can find them. Fortunately a better variety of options in bitters has appeared in the last couple of years.

Haven't had the New Holland Hatter Royale but in the end all that matters is if you liked it!

Had the Sazerac at Morton's in Indy last night. R1, a bitters-soaked sugar cube, and Absinthe. I'm not a big cocktail person, but I enjoyed it very much.

Yesterday was a hot summer day and my mind went back to one of my favorites from my college days, the Tom Collins. I went and bought a fresh bottle of club soda to make it at it's sparkling best. The essence of simplicity: one teaspoon of sugar, juice of 1/2 fresh squeezed lemon, a shot of Tanqueray gin, fill glass with ice cubes, and fill with club soda. Refreshing!

Tim

Floridita variant I spotted on eGullet. To be more accurate, one of the cocktails that goes by the name of Floridita. I thought it was a novel substitution of cdc for maraschino, but then I began to question what the hell sweet vermouth was doing in a daiquiri variation. Indeed, this is an altogether different beast. DrinkBoy confirmed that I was sipping on one of the many made at that famous bar of the same name in Cuba. Anyway:

1 1/2 oz white rum (Matusalem Platino)

1/2 oz sweet vermouth (I only keep one dark a&f wine on hand and right now, that's Punt E Mes)

1/2 oz lime juice

1 tsp. grenadine (Rose's; apparently my homemade was a little past its expiration date...)

1/2 tsp. creme de cacao (homemade)

First off, Punt e Mes plus homemade cacao nib cdc gives you a very bitter Floridita. So keeping that in mind, this was a fairly good cocktail. Gets me thinking of dark chocolate-covered cherries, except the lime drags the flavor in a brighter direction. A good option for playing around with any cdc you've got gathering dust.

figured out a good use for my Weller....a premium Manhattan. Sorry about the cloudy ice, but it barely melted by the time I was done

f957b75c-1d33-47ee-a1dd-fd79db42dd36_zps0a5c9ac5.jpg

2aa3174f-d561-4f77-903b-e8c91d0ae280_zps7991f81c.jpg

I have seen a few Manhattan variations using Averna but the ones I can recall basically replace the vermouth with Averna rather than add both. And I confess Weller 12 is sufficiently premium for me but no doubt this was good.

Black Manhattan

2 oz rye/bourbon

1 oz Averna

1 dash Angostura bitters

1 dash Regans' orange bitters

Brandied cherry

The Beatnik

1.5oz Amaro Averna

1oz Rye/Bourbon

.5oz Tawny Port

1 dash Peychaud’s Bitters

Orange Twist

And one that does use both:

San Gennaro

1 ounce Rye Whiskey

1 ounce Averna

1 ounce Carpano Antica Formula or Sweet Vermouth

1/2 teaspoon Campari

1 or 2 Luxardo Maraschino Cherries Garnish

Averna is good stuff!

figured out a good use for my Weller....a premium Manhattan. Sorry about the cloudy ice, but it barely melted by the time I was done

f957b75c-1d33-47ee-a1dd-fd79db42dd36_zps0a5c9ac5.jpg

2aa3174f-d561-4f77-903b-e8c91d0ae280_zps7991f81c.jpg

I have seen a few Manhattan variations using Averna but the ones I can recall basically replace the vermouth with Averna rather than add both. And I confess Weller 12 is sufficiently premium for me but no doubt this was good.

And one that does use both:

San Gennaro

1 ounce Rye Whiskey

1 ounce Averna

1 ounce Carpano Antica Formula or Sweet Vermouth

1/2 teaspoon Campari

1 or 2 Luxardo Maraschino Cherries Garnish

Averna is good stuff!

Mine is based on the GT Manhattan at GT Fish & Oyster in Chicago (off the menu, but they'll still make it). Last time I was there they used Old Forester. One time I was watching the bartender make it and he had a dropper bottle labeled "ANGO"---the secret ingredient, I thought. "What's ANGO?", I asked. "Angostura Bitters", he replied-----duh! I sent a couple of friends there for cocktails and they agreed--best Manhattan they ever had.

BTW, GT F&O has all the Pappy's (I think vW's, too) and all the BTAC's. And great food. Highly recommended if you're in Chicago.

http://gtoyster.com

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!