What Cocktail are you Enjoying Summer '13?

scratchline
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Currently steeping rendered bacon drippings in 750ml of EWB. Once frozen, skimmed and strained back into the original bottle, I intend to make the Bacon/Maple Old Fashioned.

2oz Bacon infused bourbon

1/4 oz High grade maple syrup

2 dashes Angostura bitters

ingredients stirred w ice to incorporate the syrup and strained into a rocks glass over ice ball.

garnish w Orange twist (and as an alternative use orange bitters and call the drink "Breakfast in Bed")

Three of my favorite flavors(bourbon,bacon and maple syrup) in a glass.

Edited by Old Dusty

Top shelf Manhattan:

1 1/2 oz Old Forester Bond '77

1/3 oz Dolin sweet vermouth

5 drops Black Mission Fig bitters

Homemade Maraschino cherry + bar spoon of juice

It's been a long week and my day off is tomorrow. I may have to have another one of these. Or something similar.

-Mike

On these hot summer days, a Rickey is perfect. 2 oz bourbon, rye, or gin, ice cubes, and club soda or sparkling mineral water.

Tim

Brandy Fix:

2 oz brandy (Paul Masson)

1/2 oz pineapple syrup

1/2 oz lemon juice

1/4 oz green Chartreuse

and a Honey & Thistle:

1 1/2 oz Cardamaro

3/4 oz Cocchi Americano (Lillet)

1/4 oz Amaro Sibilla (Ramazzotti)

I had just made some pineapple syrup and the Brandy Fix sounded tasty so I shook one up. It was. Satisfying and easy to drink but still has a bite to it. Loses points for its use of Chartreuse (seems to carry the drink rather than augment it) but c'est la vie.

The Honey & Thistle was a more amiable beverage for my palate. My woefully limited amaro and fortified wine selection meant that the drink I produced was not the drink intended, however it was still a quaff worth enjoying at a later date, or hour. And if anyone knows where to find Sibilla, please let me know. It sounds great.

I don't usually like Mint hence never really enjoyed a Mint Julep. However, over the weekend I tried making a Mint Julep with local honey and Woodford Reserve. It turned out great! The interesting thing is, I don't even like Woodford Reserve by itself but I had a hunch that its flavor profile would work well with this local honey.

So, this is what I did:

1. Dissolved a teaspoon (tried different amounts and they're all good) of local honey with an ounce of filtered drinking water.

2. Poured half an ounce of his honey syrup into a regular Old Fashioned glass (I don't have a mint julep cup).

3. Plucked about 5-6 decent sized mint leaves and muddled them in the syrup in glass.

4. Filled glass with crushed ice.

5. Filled the glass until almost full with Woodford Reserve.

6. Topped off with the remainder of the honey syrup that was left over.

I really enjoyed this. Anyone else do something similar?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16154[/ATTACH]bt in that one.

Looks pretty good. Reminds me that julep cups are the last barware I need to round out my collection!

Had a Maximilian Affair earlier tonight. The one I made was the tequila version.

1 oz tequila (Camarena blanco)

3/4 oz St. Germain

1/2 oz Punt e Mes

1/2 oz lemon juice

Great drink. I'd up the tequila to 1 1/4 next time. Made the first one with 1 1/2 oz Jose silver and it was not quite awful. With a decent-or-better tequila, quite potable.

I'd also like to point out that the Honey & Thistle is a fantastic highball. Made several for friends recently because it was both delicious and accessible to the low-proof crowd.

Old Cuban. Audrey Saunders' take on a Mojito. Instead of light rum and soda water, the Old Cuban uses rhum agricole and sparkling white wine. Mojitos are a decent way to introduce people to mixed drinks, but I think they're flat and lack cohesion. The Old Cuban has more than just 'ahh' crispness.

First you need a pontoon boat, a cooler, some ice, some red solo cups, and some good friends. Then you take a large bottle of Simply Lemonade. Pour out about a third of it into another container. Then replace the empty space with Jack or a bourbon of choice. Cruise, have a few, tell a few stories, and laugh a lot.

Manhattan is our family drink of choice.

2 parts Willett Estate Rye

1 part Antico Carpano Vermouth

3 dashes angostura bitters

1 Luxardo Cherry

Its a fantastic Manhattan, the Willett Rye version has quickly become our favorite variation, Its a nice complex rye and adds a lot to the drink.

• 2 weeks later...

Made a pre dinner Merry Widow from the Savoy. Used Sam Ross's proportions. This bottle of Beefeater is going quickly. This picture is of the cocktail half gone before I had the motivation to snap a pic.

post-6511-14489819704611_thumb.jpg

Diamondback tonight. Went with the Bulleit tonight to drink some of it up even though I was really thinking Handy to match the other high proof ingredients.

post-6511-14489819708233_thumb.jpg

Bulleit rye, NP sweet vermouth, Carpano Antico, Regan orange bitters, Luxardo cherries

hmmm......now that I think about it, I meant to use Averna Amaro instead of the NP.

still tasted good.

d76e38cd-2920-41ff-8d37-7051f92e7d3b_zps3fffff2c.jpg

Edited by bigtoys

A couple of cocktails as part of an Agave Spirits class at Holeman & Finch yesterday.

Kilted Pistolero - Very refreshing. A nice summer cocktail.

1.5 oz blanco tequila

3/4 oz Drambuie

3/4 oz lemon juice

2 dashes Angostura

Grated nutmeg garnish

Shake with ice and serve up. Float grated nutmeg.

attachment.php?attachmentid=16494&d=1377433281&thumb=1

In Bloom - A riff of sorts on the Negroni, it was much more dry, smokey with a moderate bitter finish.

1.5 oz Del Maguey Vida

3/4 oz Carpano Antica

1/2 oz St. Germaine

1/2 oz Compari

Stir with ice and strain into coupe washed with Rosewater.

attachment.php?attachmentid=16495&d=1377433309&thumb=1

Black Diamond Flip.

1 1/2 oz. Islay (Ardbeg 10)

1 1/2 oz. Cynar

1 whole egg

Grated nutmeg

I kept thinking it would be nice to do a 50:50 Cynar:Ramazzotti split, but then realized I had forgotten the nutmeg garnish. Definitely added the baking spice notes I was looking for, but I'm still interested in trying out that variation to cut the Cynar a little. Also, I assumed it was just an egg white and only noticed my err after I finished the drink.

Even with all of my blunders, it made for a great drink. It reminded me of a bittered and alcoholic version of a rum fudge I once received as a gift. I'd wholeheartedly recommend trying this drink at least once.

It's rare that I mix drinks, but this afternoon I had a Ritt BIB and Maine Root Ginger Brew. Delicious drink, enjoyed the ginger ale - really spicy.

Sazerac Cocktail. I have a batch, bottle-matured so to speak, which is ace. About 100 whiskeys, 10 brandies, but slanted to the whiskey side, with a few absinthes and some 1970's Pernod to lend the anise notes. Different bitters. All melds to a really nice taste. There is also a certain amount of Anisette in it which slightly deepens the anise notes and makes the texture silky.

Gary

Edited by Gillman

Willett 4yr Barrel Proof and Seagram's Ginger Ale with an itsy tiny dash of

Maraska Cherry Wine. Yummy. I find Rye & Gingers to really shine with LDI rye.

Sazerac Cocktail. I have a batch, bottle-matured so to speak, which is ace. About 100 whiskeys, 10 brandies, but slanted to the whiskey side, with a few absinthes and some 1970's Pernod to lend the anise notes. Different bitters. All melds to a really nice taste. There is also a certain amount of Anisette in it which slightly deepens the anise notes and makes the texture silky.

Gary

I was appreciating my Oaxaca Old Fashioned, until Gary guilted me out of it with his one of a kind Sazerac.

You guys can do it too! Just pour small amounts of whiskey (bourbon or rye or both) from your bunker in a glass, from one to 100, whatever you like. Ditto with any number of brandies, any proportion almost, or none.

Pre-rinse glass with one or 5 or however many absinthes you have. Or Pernod, or arak, or ouzo if you just have that.

Add rocks (this is how I do it), stir very well, add 2-3-4 shakes of any bitters, any number. Add dash Anisette if you have it. Stir very well again to meld.

You can pour off the ice into a stemmed "up" glass or drink as is.

This kind of drink just cannot fail and if you compare it to one made to a pre-set recipe from a book it will be at least as good or usually better (IMO) due to the complexity of ingredients working together. The absinthe and bitters have a unique way of binding the different straight whiskeys and brandies if used.

Gary

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!