Foreign Whiskey Dusty Hunting/Drinking 2013

Old Dusty
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A regrettable trend across the board. When the World of Whisky was in the doldrums a few decades back we were getting better barrel selection. Now that brands are riding a crest we're getting some stuff that years ago would've been sent to the Blenders.

Didn't see any other thread or forum to put this, but drank this tonight at the in-laws. Good easy sipper at 80 proof. 1978 bottling per the tax stamp.[ATTACH=CONFIG]15835[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]15836[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]15837[/ATTACH]

Just went to a liquor and found two bottles of this from 1986 but didn't buy them, wanted to get some info on it first. They also had an old bottle of Cutty Sark. Couldn't date it but the writing was in script instead of the block lettering and had some evaporation on it.

Will put together a picture soon, but found some interesting dusty malts when out bourbon hunting with michaelturtle. I am not a scotch expert, although I do know what would be major dusty scores (Ardbeg 17, Bowmore Sea Dragon), but I thought this wasn't too bad. Don't know much about the Glen Keith or Longmorn.

From the mid 90s:

White Horse Lagavulin 16 OB

Talisker 10 Map Label OB

Glen Keith 1983 OB

Longmorn 15 OB

Glenkinchie 10 OB

As well as:

Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist (Bottled 2006)

Glenlivet 12 (for $13)

Just went to a liquor and found two bottles of this from 1986 but didn't buy them, wanted to get some info on it first. They also had an old bottle of Cutty Sark. Couldn't date it but the writing was in script instead of the block lettering and had some evaporation on it.

oke, not great w tasting notes but my recollection was nothing too nuanced or memorable about the juice. Kind of "typical" blended Canadian at 80 proof. Pleasant but wouldn't go out of my way to get it. Enjoyed it more for the fact I was 12 when it was bottled:cool:

Will put together a picture soon, but found some interesting dusty malts when out bourbon hunting with michaelturtle. I am not a scotch expert, although I do know what would be major dusty scores (Ardbeg 17, Bowmore Sea Dragon), but I thought this wasn't too bad. Don't know much about the Glen Keith or Longmorn.

From the mid 90s:

Talisker 10 Map Label OB

Glen Keith 1983 OB

Longmorn 15 OB

Glenkinchie 10 OB

As well as:

Glenlivet 12 (for $13)

The winner on that list is the Lagavulin 16 - by all accounts the white horse editions were fantastic and miles ahead of the subsequent versions.

Longmorn 15 is also a good score - again by all accounts much better than the current 16yo.

oke, not great w tasting notes but my recollection was nothing too nuanced or memorable about the juice. Kind of "typical" blended Canadian at 80 proof. Pleasant but wouldn't go out of my way to get it. Enjoyed it more for the fact I was 12 when it was bottled:cool:

Ok cool. I didn't expect too much from it. At least if I decide to get it I already pass the store several times a day so I can just duck in for it.

The winner on that list is the Lagavulin 16 - by all accounts the white horse editions were fantastic and miles ahead of the subsequent versions.

Longmorn 15 is also a good score - again by all accounts much better than the current 16yo.

Thanks for the info! I knew that the Lag was a good score as I've been looking for White Horse bottlings ever since LAWS did their Lag vertical: http://www.lawhiskeysociety.com/news.php?id=113 . I found another one a couple months back at another store as well.

Once I was in the store yesterday where I found all the malts from the 90s I went a little hog wild without too much knowledge. Good to know the Longmorn is a good score. I've seen up and down reviews for the Glen Keith, but it does have the advantage of being on official bottling from a shuttered distillery.

Very nice score - the Glenkeith's are readily found still. I was just in a store yesterday and they had 6 of the Glenkeith 10 year for $50. I passed since I already have 3 or 4 taking up space in my bunker. I'm saving them to do a comparison tasting for when Glenkeith finally releases an OB with their new spirit. It will be quite a wait since all the spirit is currently designated for blending into Chivas.

@SpecialReserve - Ardbeg Beast is no longer available and. Anything under $100 is reasonable. Its very tasty.

@SpecialReserve - Ardbeg Beast is no longer available and. Anything under $100 is reasonable. Its very tasty.

I paid 99 plus 9% tax for mine and 130 for another a week ago.

Found some old blended scotch when I was out and about this week. Not sure if they're any good but I know they were reasonably well known brands.

A tax stamped Black & White Buchanan's

And 2 Catto's Gold Label

No specific dates on the bottles. Judging by the labels from what I've found online they're round late 70's or early 80's bottles, around the time I was born ('79).

I grabbed the Black & White, but left the Catto's for now.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Is there a way to get a specific date on this?

post-8877-14489819430629_thumb.jpg

post-8877-14489819426737_thumb.jpg

post-8877-14489819427315_thumb.jpg

post-8877-1448981942788_thumb.jpg

post-8877-14489819428437_thumb.jpg

post-8877-1448981942898_thumb.jpg

post-8877-14489819429528_thumb.jpg

post-8877-14489819430078_thumb.jpg

The Black & White was fairly well thought of 30+ years ago but if what I'm reading is correct these recent standard blends contain younger whisky, which, though not necessarily a bad thing, does make them overpriced for what they are now. I would grab a vintage one though if only for comparison purposes.

thanks, it was pretty cheap, $18 for a liter. I look forward to cracking it open, plus it's kind of a neat bottle. I've seen a lot of old-ish blends around lately. Old Smuggler, Grand Macnish and some others also a Lord Calvert blended Canadian all from around the same time, late 70's-early 80's.

From the mid 90s:

Talisker 10 Map Label OB

Glen Keith 1983 OB

Longmorn 15 OB

Glenkinchie 10 OB

As well as:

Glenlivet 12 (for $13)

And here is the promised picture!

post-6511-14489819490087_thumb.jpg

post-6511-14489819489522_thumb.jpg

That Longmorn 15 is a really nice find! Do some Googling and you'll find that most lament the loss of the 15y for the current 16y.

That Longmorn 15 is a really nice find! Do some Googling and you'll find that most lament the loss of the 15y for the current 16y.

Another kudos for the Longmorn. I haven't had the current 16 to compare it to, but I drank through a 15 a few months ago that was absolutely delightful!

Another kudos for the Longmorn. I haven't had the current 16 to compare it to, but I drank through a 15 a few months ago that was absolutely delightful!

I am glad to hear it. The LAWS reviews had me a bit worried as they aren't great (although how could I worry for the price I picked it up for), but I just watched Ralfy's review of an independently bottled Longmorn where he says something to the effect that the 15 was as good an OB as you could find anywhere. I am looking forward to cracking it open and expanding my single malt knowledge.

I've seen a lot of old-ish blends around lately. Old Smuggler, Grand Macnish and some others also a Lord Calvert blended Canadian all from around the same time, late 70's-early 80's.

good to know. I've purchased a few older blends I've found but not that one. Seems like every mom and pop shop I go to has a few still on the shelves.

Any thoughts on Laphroaig 15? I may have a line on a few bottles and its been on my dusty hunting radar, but I've never seen it nor had it. Worth picking up? For what price?

I haven't had it, but I've read it's preferred by some to the 18 that replaced it. I'd probably be inclined to buy one around $75 give or take.

Any thoughts on Laphroaig 15? I may have a line on a few bottles and its been on my dusty hunting radar, but I've never seen it nor had it. Worth picking up? For what price?
Far superior to the 18 IMHO and if you see it buy on sight,I put a few back which was not enough and kicking myself ever since.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.