Foreign Whisky of the Month - 07/2013: Highland Park

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

OK, let it go a little longer than needed and it did get close, but by vote, this month's Foreign Whisky of the Month is Highland Park.

I am definitely interested in hearing about why some like this one so much as I don't see a lot in the range that really interests me. I want something with more proof on it, and I may wrong but seems most of the standard releases are 40% or 43% at the most. Maybe I need to get a Loki, is that sold here in the states? ... And admittedly I prefer peat.

Edited by Virus_Of_Life

My first reaction to HP12 was, "If I wanted a flavor profile like this, I'd just drink bourbon." It was sweet like bourbon, and the slight smoke hit me as bitter and off. Of course, my palate has evolved hugely since then. I think I've heard the 15yo is the best bang for your buck in the lineup. Perhaps I'll take one home with me shortly...

At $80ish until recently, the HP18 was a buy for me. I prefered it to the 15. It is now typically $100 or more so not as quick to buy. I like the balance of the sweet with the light touch of smoke but then I am not a super peat fan as a general rule. The 43% ABV of the 18 as compared to the 40% of the 12 and 15 could perhaps be a bit higher but I haven't found it to be lacking in flavor. Has been a while since I have had the younger ones.

The special editions they do haven't really done much for me. The Valhalla Collection (so far Thor and Loki with two more to come) is available in the US but seems terribly gimmicky to me. Probably good whisky but $200+ for a chunk of sculpted wood and 15/16 yo whiskey at around 100 proof just didn't appeal to me.

Edited by tanstaafl2

HP18 is excellent. Definitely in the Top 10 whiskies I've ever had. It has the sherry and peat, but they are in the background and in balance. It's not in your face at all, very laid back and dangerously drinkable.

My only experience with Highland Park to this point has been the 12 year. Very good drink, in my opinion, though me and my friends had some fun with the blurb on the back of the box... it (the blurb) seemed a bit over the top at the time but now having read the backs of other boxes, maybe it wasn't so much.

Highland Park 12 was my gateway Scotch and one that I have always had on hand since. These days the smoke is far less prominent to me than it was on my first pour and the honeyed sweetness more so, but still a very enjoyable drink. I've had a couple pours each of 15 and 18 but not enough to have an educated opinion besides that I liked both.

I also wish HP was bottled at a higher strength, but I do like it. HP 12 is a very good entry-level single malt and the HP 18 I think is one of the best out there. Too bad the 18 is so expensive now. There is also an 8 year HP bottled by Gordon and MacPhail that runs $32. It is good for the money.

One of the best single malts I ever had was an HP bottled for Texas called the Lone Star Edition. It was 15-16 years old and bottled at 110 proof. Just fantastic stuff. It can't be found anymore though.

I also wish HP was bottled at a higher strength...

They have something for everyone - including high proof offerings.

The strategy with HP seems to be to bottle the standard range for the masses at a fairly standard proof (40-43%) and relatively reasonable prices. They also provide higher proof versions of essentially the same ages with fancy packaging and colourful stories at equally fanciful prices.

Interesting that the first two featured distilleries have the same general complaint laid against them - lower proof standard offerings, high barrier for entry ($250ish) to get the more powerful limited offerings.

I've got an HP18 burning a hole in my bunker. Don't know if I'll get to it tonight, but will in the next few days.

I myself have always been a fan of HP from the entry level 12yr. to the 18yr. in there line of standard offerings.I have never had anyone complain or dislike the HP12 that I have ever offered it to and one of the main reasons I always have one on hand.I personally love the 18yr.and find it very rich,complex and even go as far as creamy and well honeyed.I have never stepped into the realms of the Loki or Thor and don't know if I ever will,but if offered I sure as hell won't turn it down.I will agree with others in the that the 15yr. expression is the value among the line of standard issue products.I still show my tried and true love though for the 18 and is one that truly drew me in as a HP fan after that first ever faithful pour.

The 43% ABV of the 18 as compared to the 40% of the 12 and 15 could perhaps be a bit higher but I haven't found it to be lacking in flavor.

All the 12 year olds I have in my bunker are 43% ABV. Do explain.

All the 12 year olds I have in my bunker are 43% ABV. Do explain.

In some markets the HP12 is 40%, in others (Canada for example) it is bottled at 43%

It's 40% here, or was the last time I checked.

I would think it would be 43% in the USA because the version we have here in Canada is the 750ml - afaik bottled in this size specifically for the American market - and we have it at 43%

I don't doubt that and don't know if it's regional or what but the bottles on the shelf in the store closest to me are 40%.

It's 40% here, or was the last time I checked.

My latest bottle, which may be a year old now is 43% as seen in the photo.

edit: and I have no idea why it went sideways the image wasn't like that on my machine, but you can still read it.

The three or four bottles I have had over the last few years have all been 43%.

I think I've mentioned this before but I actually prefer the 12 to the 15, price notwithstanding. I haven't had the 18 so I can't speak to that.

I've found in my tastings that the 12 is nice, the 18 is really good but I prefer the 15. If they were priced the same - I'd choose the 15 every time. In fact I was offered a free sample of either one and I chose the 15. I found it to be more interesting. I need to go back and retaste the lineup again since HP is not one of my normally open bottles.

I've found in my tastings that the 12 is nice, the 18 is really good but I prefer the 15.

It may not be a coincidence that many here - predominantly bourbon drinkers - prefer the 15yo. Between the 12/15/18, the 15 is made up primarily from ex-bourbon casks seasoned with sherry, whereas the other two are primarily from European oak seasoned wish sherry.

http://www.highlandpark.co.uk/video/core-expression-tastings/highland-park-tastings---15-year-old

It appears the sneaky little bastards have decided to lower the proof on us, from 43% to 40%. ABV I should say. Apparently learned from Makers Mark and don't announce the change but just do it quietly, with the eventual change over at the store. Looks like time to bunker a few bottles of HP12. Too bad because HP12's got that great rich taste neat that loses something when I add water.

Sippin' on some HP18 tonight - you know, it's a thoroughly enjoyable dram because it's so d@mned... well... average.

I don't mean that in a negative sense but just that if you consider "beauty", the most beautiful faces are the most "average" faces - this is pretty much as well balanced as you could hope for and that's part of it's appeal to me.

I'm going to try the HP15 next.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.