Foreign Whisky of the Month - 07/2013: Highland Park

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sippin' on some HP18 tonight - you know, it's a thoroughly enjoyable dram because it's so d@mned... well... average.

I don't mean that in a negative sense but just that if you consider "beauty", the most beautiful faces are the most "average" faces - this is pretty much as well balanced as you could hope for and that's part of it's appeal to me.

I'm going to try the HP15 next.

This description turns me off. I'm glad I haven't gone out and spent money on a bottle. I can't afford to spend $120 on an average bottle.

This description turns me off. I'm glad I haven't gone out and spent money on a bottle. I can't afford to spend $120 on an average bottle.

$120 is on the high side; you can usually find it around these parts for just under $100...but try in a bar if you can - this is a complex dram with sherry, heathery peat, and malty notes all in balance. It is expensive (as all Scotch seems to be relative to bourbon), but this is a VERY nice dram.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I've been slow to contribute this month. We've been abnormally busy. Here are my main / general thoughts on HP. Quality is always quite high. I have yet to have an HP that I didn't like. A great example of how Sherry barrels can add a positive to the overall flavor profile. I have a 25 year old cask strength selection sitting next to me at the moment. What jumps out initially for me, is the sheer size of aroma. Sherry to the point of approaching burnt rubber tires, but not quite sulfur. Big round, rich elegance with a strong backbone. The prices, as of late, seem to be getting a little silly. But, they all really are going that way. I realize it is a business, and not a charity, so I don't hold any grudges. The latest release, Loki, was really quite nice. But $250 for a 15yr old in a wooden box, is just to much for me. $77 for the regular is high, but not out of line with the overall quality that they deliver consistently. All, and all, One of my favorite malts to help a novice Glenlivet 12 drinker, transition into the rest of the category.

• 5 weeks later...

It has been a while since I visited my bottle of HP12. But what I remember was very pleasant. The sweetness was there with just enough peat to make things interesting. HP12 or the 15 (if I ever find some) is a Scotch that I can enjoy more often than Lagavulin 16 being that I am a Bourbon drinker first and foremost.

HP has always been one of my favorites. Just got the Loki yesterday:

a little peaty smoke. overall, a good impulsive purchase. the wooden holder kind of reminds me of Game of Thrones

IMG_20130829_114507_326-1_zpscc42c74c.jpg IMG_20130829_114624_632-1_zpse198051f.jpg

a couple in the bunker

f97c5756-1c7e-49e9-8300-56f399330ae0_zps86ebae3e.jpg

also unopened

a237fadd-23ac-4303-9de1-bf7bd6d02741_zps0f8d576f.jpg

and working on this one

hpsc.jpg

• 2 months later...

I may break down and get that Loki one of these days... I've read it's a little like the old Brora's.

In any event, I'm able to enjoy this older version of the Highland Park 18 tonight thanks to a generous SB soul:

10603685003_cdc7b7ea23_z.jpg

• 3 months later...

Holy Mole!

You guys go BIG! Good for you!

I do love the Highland 12 and I have a "freebie" mini of the 18 to try one of these days.

• 2 months later...

I have the Highland 25 at home.

It's good but I kind of wish it had more bite to it. Almost too smooth for my taste but still good.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.