DSP 354 vs DSP 1 Rittenhouse - How's the new stuff?

humchan2k
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This is a good example of how exactly the same production standards whisky, mashbill, yeast, mash cooking temp, fermentation time, that is made in different stills can product a slightly different product.

Good example for sure, squire. The actual difference is a lot more than I had originally expected. I was actually expecting it to be much closer in end product.

I for one, am glad to hear that there seems to be at least some differences in the two. The 354 has simply been too "boubony" for me. Delicious for sure, but lacking a distinguishable rye character to provide me something to hold my interest. I'm hoping that the differences that people are detecting can also be discovered in my own tasting, when I get around to it. One aspect in people's reviews that is giving me hope of a superior rye character in the DSP-1 is a perceived thinner mouthfeel, surprisingly. I find the punchier, spicier, ryier ryes :crazy: to lack a thick heavy mouthfeel, and the thinness typically is a signal to me of a bolder rye pop to soon hit my palate.

I for one, am glad to hear that there seems to be at least some differences in the two. The 354 has simply been too "boubony" for me. Delicious for sure, but lacking a distinguishable rye character to provide me something to hold my interest. I'm hoping that the differences that people are detecting can also be discovered in my own tasting, when I get around to it. One aspect in people's reviews that is giving me hope of a superior rye character in the DSP-1 is a perceived thinner mouthfeel, surprisingly. I find the punchier, spicier, ryier ryes :crazy: to lack a thick heavy mouthfeel, and the thinness typically is a signal to me of a bolder rye pop to soon hit my palate.

Good point there Joe. That's definitely one thing I got out of it. 354 tasted more familiar and more "bourbony" and the 1 leans further towards having more characteristics of rye whiskey.

Although I really love the 354, I definitely wouldn't mind more rye character in Ritt BIB. Personally, I taste more rye in OGD BIB that 354 Ritt BIB..

Well I prefer the hh version. More rye flavor. Actually reminds me of what beam rye used to taste like. 354 tasted to much like bourbon.

Sounds 354 is like a "gateway rye" for those bourbon fans who are on the fence (which I think is a point in its favor!) I'll have to do the comparison again, as I never mistook it for bourbon. When folks say it is like bourbon, in what way? More vanilla/caramel notes than fruity/spice notes? Mouthfeel? Just curious. I prefer the DSP-1 between the two, but I like rye whiskey (and didn't "dislike" the 354 in any way/shape/form).

I am still surprised by more and more that there truly is a discernible difference and that the DSP-1 is really coming out ahead as the preferred preference by most that have done a SBS.I really need to track down a few more and try them both SBS for myself as I am excited to hear all the positive press on the DSSP-1 so far.

Just looked through several stores recently and they all still have the 354. Looks like it will be on the shelves for a while out here.

• 2 weeks later...

DSP-KY-1 has just shown up in South Jersey. Neat, I find it a bit spicier and more rye-like than the 354, and at the same time a touch sweeter. Overall I like the balance. I think, though the difference is subtle, the 1 moves the profile a bit from the bourbony 354 to the exact place a young rye should be, without going overboard into LDI territory.

Made a "perfect" Manhattan with it (Dolin Blanc, Rouge and Angostura) and it was lovely as well. I fell no need to stock up on 354, as I find the 1 a small but real improvement (to my palate)

-Ryan

At a blind tasting last night I was wrong about which was which. Happily wrong though as I preferred the dsp 1. The 354 was picked by most.

• 1 month later...

The bottle I got yesterday was DSP 1 and I must say it's excellent. I don't have any of the DSP 354 left to compare but I'm very pleased.

I haven't gotten any DSP 1 yet, but the couple of threads that have been dedicated to the subject have certainly eased my mind. I won't know until I try it myself, but I get the feeling we dodged a bullet here. Now, if we can just convince them to keep that crappy label, forever making Ritt look like a bottom-shelfer and commanding a bottom-shelfer price, I'll be happy forever. :)

Having my first pour of DSP 1 with my lunch. My first reaction is disappointment. I really enjoy the DSP 354, and don't agree with the "too bourbony" reaction from a lot of tasters. The 354 is definitely not a LDI rye, but is absolutely a strong rye spice whiskey. This 1, is very soft rye spice, more like a low rye bourbon recipe. Of course, further drinking is necessary to totally figure it out, but right now its meh.

Seems no one is reporting the 'earthy' taste I like so much in the DSP-354 when describing the DSP-1. Is it missing or did I just have an unusual batch?

I'm drinking the DSP-354 right now. It's my 3rd bottle this year. I definitely have tasted the earthy note, moldy barrel, Brie rind mold flavor in all 3. Haven't gotten a DSP-1 yet.

Ted

I picked up a DSP-1 the other night and tasted it alongside a glass of DSP-354. The 354 had been open a couple weeks and was close to being empty. However, I thought there was a pretty marked difference between the two. The 354 had much more caramel/maple on the nose, and was "softer" overall. The DSP-1 was more spicy, but also more astringent with a thinner mouth feel. The new one wasn't bad, and I'll continue to try it as the bottle has been open, but I'll be picking up a few spare 354s as I see them on the shelves.

• 4 weeks later...

After several pours of the DSP-1 including a side by side with the DSP-354, I've come to the conclusion I do not like the DSP-1 nearly as much. Maybe it is just the bottle I have, but it is too hot, astringent and green tasting. Glad I have a couple bottles of 354 in the bunker. May need to look for more.

I agree. I went out today and bought every single bottle I could find of 354 in town. I now have a small stash of 354 set aside.

I wonder if HH might be pushing the envelope a bit with recent bottlings. Just a few years ago before this new age of rye consciousness Ritt was bargain priced and in plentiful supply. Methinks it might have had a bit more barrel aging than this new version.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.