DSP 354 vs DSP 1 Rittenhouse - How's the new stuff?

humchan2k
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Seems like a slowly growing consensus in terms of a 'thumbs-down' for the DSP-1 bottling. Probably a good idea to secure a few 354s while they still exist on the shelf...won't be long, they'll be long gone. If the trend continues, it does not bode well for the new product...sad to hear...but probably too early to make a judgment.

Dunno, everything early on was really positive. Still haven't tried the new stuff yet myself.

I've had a DSP-KY-1 bottle open for a while and it's ok. I can't say it's any better/worse than the 354 as I've not bad them side-by-side... It tasted about the same as the 354 to my memory.

I may need to crack one of my 354's to do a side-by-side - you know, for science and the children...

Edited by ChainWhip

I wonder if HH might be pushing the envelope a bit with recent bottlings. Just a few years ago before this new age of rye consciousness Ritt was bargain priced and in plentiful supply. Methinks it might have had a bit more barrel aging than this new version.

It's always around these parts (Atlanta). Round $20

I finally procured a bottle myself and there is a definable difference,overly notable no but the DSP-1 is a little more rye forward.The 354 and 1 are both very solid pours in the category and will continue to carry on the tradition rather well,at least to my tastes.

Did a blind tasting a couple of times now. I consistently pick DSP-1 so I suppose it just suits my palate better. I agree with those who feel it is more rye-ish and less bourbon-y than the DSP-354.

Neither are bad too me, just a little different, and I can't really tell them apart in a cocktail like the Rattlesnake or even something a bit simpler like a Manhattan.

Ditto. I've done several SBS, and lean towards the new stuff (and am SO thankful), although the 354 isn't hard to find . . . for now :)

Dunno, everything early on was really positive.

This is interesting. I took note that the early reviews indicated little or no change due to the switchover. The more recent reviews, for better or worse, seem to say that there is a noticeable difference.

Is it possible that the day the label changed on the production line wasn't exactly the same day that the source whiskey changed? We've heard before about producers using up old labels on newer stock. Perhaps the opposite happened in this case.

This is interesting. I took note that the early reviews indicated little or no change due to the switchover. The more recent reviews, for better or worse, seem to say that there is a noticeable difference.

Is it possible that the day the label changed on the production line wasn't exactly the same day that the source whiskey changed? We've heard before about producers using up old labels on newer stock. Perhaps the opposite happened in this case.

I don't know, there was a couple-month gap in supply, which I attributed to the switchover.

As far as the differences go, they are minimal. Blind-tasted I can tell them apart but I don't really like one better than the other. DSP-1 tastes a little wilder, with a little more of that Heaven Hill funkiness that we taste in their young BIBs. I also find it to be less earthy than the DSP-354s. (some more than others; one I had reminded me of a freshly plowed field in the spring).

YMMV of course but my personal opinion is that there were bigger variations between various bottles of DSP-354 than there are between the DSP-1 and the DSP-354 that I have open at the moment. That said I can also understand why there are people who like the older stuff better.

Opened my 1st DSP 1 last night and would say that HH has hit it out of the park. Love the old stuff but this is easily just as good.

I will say (probably again) that the 354 remains a top 5 all time pour for me and I've been stashing them away whenever I can get them for a good price.

DSP-1 finally hit the shelves locally. Bit of a price jump to $27.99 and my local store was limited to only 1 case. Owner mentioned he might have heard all of northern CA only got 58 cases.

I got a bottle because of course I did. Haven't had a chance to crack it open yet but I will soon and I'll do a SBS and report back. here's hoping it's meets the mark

I got a bottle because of course I did. Haven't had a chance to crack it open yet but I will soon and I'll do a SBS and report back. here's hoping it's meets the mark

Try to do the SBS blind. Always makes it more interesting!

Did a quick sbs, not blind, but it wasn't even close. The new dsp-1 was very different to my palate, to the point I didn't like it at all and went back to the 354 just to put a good flavor in my mouth. There were mitigating factors and I'll give it another shot, I do have a whole bottle after all.

Did a quick sbs, not blind, but it wasn't even close. The new dsp-1 was very different to my palate, to the point I didn't like it at all and went back to the 354 just to put a good flavor in my mouth.

I'm with you. Looks like I will be using my bottle of DSP-1 to make Manhattans. A number of people have posted that they prefer the DSP-1, but to me it isn't even close. Maybe there is a good deal of variability with the new stuff and I just got a bad bottle, but I'm not willing to buy another bottle at this point to see. I have a couple bottles of 354 on hand I will definitely bunker more when I find it.

• 2 weeks later...

Next payday, I'm going to get one of each and do a personal SBS. I found a store which has both the 354 & the 1. I asked the owner if he had any feedback on the DSP-1 and he replied, "oh a couple of folks said it's better, a couple said it's not and another said nothing's changed". Like a lot of others, it probably comes down to individual palate.

• 3 weeks later...

Got my first bottle of DSP-KY-1 yesterday and my palate says it's a massive improvement over the old rye- which I still love. The new Rittenhouse comes really close to tying my beloved WT 101 rye for my favorite whiskey. I can understand how others don't like it though- it's not the earthy, wet, maple sugar that the 354 stuff was. This is bold, spicy, and herbal in comparison. I think having Pikesville rye for a few years has helped the transition as that seemed to switch over to Bernheim rye a few years ago (It's age stated at only 3 years old).

I can't believe I still haven't done this shootout yet. Every time I run out of Ritt BiB (which is often, it's my house rye), I grab a bottle of 354 from a place I know that has a bunch. However, I don't even know which one I like better yet. I suppose I'm just programmed to assume that the new stuff is always worse.

That said, I never drink the stuff neat, so that exercise would be pointless for me. It's always in a cocktail at my house, so I'll probably a blind cocktail tasting soon, which I've never done. Old Fashioned, Manhattan, and my latest favorite, the Nirvana. My guess is that I won't be able to notice a difference.

I can't believe I still haven't done this shootout yet. Every time I run out of Ritt BiB (which is often, it's my house rye), I grab a bottle of 354 from a place I know that has a bunch. However, I don't even know which one I like better yet. I suppose I'm just programmed to assume that the new stuff is always worse.

That said, I never drink the stuff neat, so that exercise would be pointless for me. It's always in a cocktail at my house, so I'll probably a blind cocktail tasting soon, which I've never done. Old Fashioned, Manhattan, and my latest favorite, the Nirvana. My guess is that I won't be able to notice a difference.

That was my experience. Even in a rye heavy cocktail I did not find any noticeable difference. Will be curious to know what you think.

i do think doing a SBS neat is worth doing as well as a cocktail taste off!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been drinking the DSP 1 Rittenhouse BIB for a while now. I just bought a case of it and love it. What are you all paying for a bottle? I am paying 19.99 per at a military base.

I have a bottle of each and have tried them blind. I can tell a difference but my GF wont tell me which is which. I asked her not to in order for me to try to tell the differences. I can pick "a" or "b" but cannot reliably call the 354 vs the 1.

Just for reference, I am a rookie.

Jim

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.