Thanks

kitzg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I want to thank all of those from SB.com for the friendship at the festival. Sorry we could not make a gazebo party since we just drove in for Saturday.

I particulary want to thank Bettye Jo and Bobby for hanging out at the booth with genuine KY hospitality. I still remember meeting BJ back in 2000. It's been a hoot since then. This was our fourth straight year of some involvement with Festival events. And a special thanks to Bobby for the location of the Liquor Barn! We got some good buys... (even some good decaf coffee beans at $4.99/lb -- and I'm drinking the coffee now).

Thanks to Chuck for the great conversation at lunch.

Good to see many of you (I won't list names as I'll forget someone). But it was great to finally meet Jim B. (Butler, not Beam). :-)

Maybe we can arrange our schedule next year to join you all -- sounds like the Friday night party was a great event and sorry we missed it. crazy.gif

For those we did not run into, at least we'll see you here on the board!

I would like to Echo what Greg says, great to meet more of the SB.com crew. When I got around to the Heaven Hill tent , I found a comfortable chair, We're all cutting up, A lot of the group come in and out. Therese did her now famous Turkey call and it sounded much better than the Electric one at the Wild Turkey tent. No use to go any farther! The Liquor Barn is sort of a Booze R Us kind of place. toast.gif

The Heaven Hill tent looked great this year! Way to go Bettye Jo!

Sorry I missed everyone while they were there, but here's a photo of the tent.

Bj

post-25-14489811278592_thumb.jpg

Here is my own word of thanks to all the straightbourbon.com people and their friends whom I met at the fabulous Gazebo gathering the other night in Bardstown. I was impressed with the generosity of those who plunked down rare and costy bottles (or any bottle) on the table for all to sample at will. I could only spend an hour there and enjoyed meeting Bobby Cox, Todd Forbes and his wife, Jim Butler, Jeff, Craig Beam and of course Bettye Jo who was a delight to talk to as was everyone. The gentleman, Mike, from South Carolina who brought the circa 1960 Jim Beam decanter was nice to meet too, we had a good chat about rye whiskey. Sorry if I missed anyone's name, I know I met more than those I mentioned (the New Yorker who brought those great beaker glasses - time to open that '54 cognac! smile.gif). I missed tasting the Prohibition bottles and would be interested in the taste notes of anyone who did sample them.

I tried Bobby's Yellowstone Mellow Mash from the early 80's. It was a standout: rich, creamy, nutty, fruity. Few whiskeys today can equal it. Also, I liked the barrel sample of Jim Beam and that amazing Wild Turkey 12 year old. I missed out on the ORVW Park Avenue bottling and the cognac-finished bourbon that came out a couple of years ago. In a rush to get there I bought quickly in Toddy's the 100 proof Very Old Barton's as my dibs. In retrospect, I should have brought a Canadian whisky that might not be known in the U.S., but I went "local" (not loco!) on this one. I hope some tasters who hadn't yet tried Barton's enjoyed it. In my view it is premium in every way except the price (and, I thought, as good or better than the new 1792 which sells for more).

Next year I'll stay longer than an hour at the Gazebo, but again thanks to Bobby, Bettye Jo and everyone who put this thing together, it was an exemplary event and a fine example of American teamwork, friendliness and utmost generosity.

Gary Gillman, Toronto, Ontario

Heya Gillman!

I wanted to mentioned that I got a kick Outta meeting you too at the freiday event, and spent the rest of the festival hoping to bump into you to give you the rest of your Barton, so you could really get a feel for how yummy it was (I couldnt find you so, uhm cool.gifcool.gifThanx Man! grin.gifgrin.gif). Well anyway it was a pleasure to meet you and hopefully we can all do it again next year.

TomC

Gary,

the New Yorker who brought those great beaker glasses

That would be Cliff (Barrel Proof). Weren't they a hoot? Thanks Cliff!

Even Parker Beam thought they were cool... lol.gif

Bj

post-25-14489811278823_thumb.jpg

lol.gif, now there would be a photo for the Bourbon Country Herald. This year was a fun year indeed! I only wish more of us were able to get together more nights at the gazebo for fun and laughs.

Hi Tom, same here and sorry I didn't mention your name in my previous post, I meant to, and glad you enjoyed the Barton's 100 proof, to me it represents the traditional type of whiskey that is completely un-self-conscious if you see what I mean, glad you enjoyed it!

Gary

Thanks Brenda, of course, it was Cliff, and I thank him again for those glasses!

Gary

No problem at all man, and I think you got the whiskey pegged perfect. Its a good change of pace from the more refined high dollar stuff.

TomC

Tom,

I am so glad the pic came out!!

Yeah, me too. Remember how the screen looked on the camera? It was so dark, it looked like the camera was off.

Shooting this one was even funnier... lol.gif So hopefully, all will forgive me for quality of this photo.

Ok, from left to right we have...

Kristen, Chris, Ed, Omar, Jim, Guthrie McKay (Toddy's Liquor's), Jeff, Mark, Bobby and Tom.

post-25-14489811279068_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting that vindicating pic of Parker enjoying his bourbon from an Erlenmeyer flask, Brenda. That was hilarious and I'm glad you caught it. Just one of many funny things about Friday night. lol.gif

Cliff,

Here's another version of that group shot just for you... wink.gif. I think really, this one was shot first.

The entire evening was a hoot. I think my project for this year is going to be, learning to graciously tell someone to take a hike...in german... lol.giflol.gif

Bj

post-25-14489811279316_thumb.jpg

You're most welcome, Gary. It was great to meet you. If one of those Erlenmeyers didn't wander off North of the Border with you, we'll have to stock you up next year. By then I hope to have sampled that Hine '53 Grande Champagne Cognac, affectionately knows as Birthday Cognac 'round these parts.

It was great to see everyone again. I had a really good time. My only complaint is that I did not have enough spare time. I did make it to the Gazebo gatherings every night.

I really enjoyed my "side show seat" there. Ohhhh my God grin.gif. Cliff, I didn't know you spoke German so well. Me and Stacy (my new adopted daughter) had a really good time listening and watching all of the stuff that was going on blush.gifgrin.gif

Seems that everyone mentions the table of bourbon. There are some pictures with a few of the members. Actually, there were a lot of folks there who have not appeared in the pictures. Jeff's beautiful wife Leslie was there. The most entertaining and a dear friend, Amelia (Bobby's wife) was there. Stacy, my "new adopted daughter" and wife of Mark, a absolute sweetheart. I was there with my two daughters Therese and Erica. Nancy, Bob's wife was there. Chuck Cowdery, was there. I know that there will be others please post the names if I have left anyone out that have not been included in the pictures or written about grin.gif

Other notable folks that were there but not mentioned, Jo Beam (my Aunt Jo) historian, Flaget Nalley retired curator of the Getz, Mary Hite retired co-curator of the Getz. Caig Beam Distiller for Heaven Hill (Parker Beam's son), Randy Getz (owner of the Getz and a chief at Bartons), Joe Friel retired Master Distiller (Bartons). There were other chief's who command the company there but their name slips my mind at this moment. ISC Independent Stave Company the folks who make barrels were there. Parker Beam (in pictures) and his wife Linda, was there. Last but not least and one of the best, Guthrie McKay (owner of Toddy's). So there you have it. Some of em, somehow overlooked. I hope that this thread stays open for me because I know that I will remember some of the names throughtout the next few days grin.gif.

I worked very, very hard on the Booth this year. I had a new little girl in the marketing department (Nicole Willett) that did a tremendous job. I cannot thank her enough. I litterally drew my vision on a piece of paper and this fine young lady snapped her fingers and everthing I asked for apppeared grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif Words cannot describe the grattitude I have for her efforts.

Izra Cornish the Heaven Hill cooper built the entire display in 4 1/2 days. He went beyond what the average person would do. He bent over backwards to make sure that the booth was built to exactly what I wanted. He is a very talented young man. Kenny Ice (warehouse superintendent) Bobby Shain and Billy Durbin helped "Izzy". I could not leave thier names off because they made it happen too grin.gif

I am supposed to be on vacation. Yeah right. I might make it there by the end of the week.

The Heaven Hill Barrel Rolling team. I am very proud our team and this unusual event is dear to my heart. My, Jerimy Fletcher, won the world championship individual trophy grin.gif. Paula Clark won the women's individual world chapionship trophy grin.gif Goooooooooo Heaven Hill! grin.gifgrin.gif

A sad part frown.gif. I came in SECOND in the distillery decorating contest. The prize was a copper still trophy and the bragging rights for a year. I was heartbroken. Had to keep my eyes focused on the ground so's nobody would see me cry. Wild Turkey took first place. They were my main competitor and rightfully so. They have a actual saloon. Swinging doors, bar with bar stools, and bartender. The first year they started this judging of the booths thing, Barton Brands won. Every year since, Wild Turkey has won it with that saloon.

Oh Well, we will have to work harder next year. I have taken pictures of the inside of the booth as soon as I get them developed I will post it here. I will tell you that there was a "bourbon barrel fountain" inside. Smelled really good grin.gif

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

P.S. Please keep Perry in your prayers. He has been very ill but things are starting to look a lot better now. I was afraid we were going to loose him, but he is a strong man and will come back to us grin.gif

The Heaven Hill Booth was wonderful this year!! To give the award to Turkey mutiple times when they don't change a thing is ridiculous and not fair -- I've seen their booth every year. horseshit.gif

BJ you just hold your head up high for such a wonderful, new, and intriguing design. And for being the BEST hostess on the grounds!! toast.gif

Greg (& Jo, too)

Here Here! toast.gif

Wild Turkey Saloon bs.gif

Heaven Hill Rackhouse bowdown.gif

We all now know , or at least the group on Thursday at Buffalo Trace knows.........A rackhouse is by far a better place to drink,eat and enjoy each others company than a saloon.....it is the ultimate saloon! drink.gif

Bettye Jo,

I completely agree with Greg and Bobby. Your booth was wonderful! Nobody had the creativity that you and the Heaven Hill group put together. So, as far as I'm concerned, your booth was numero uno! toast.gif

Bob

I've got to agree here as well. To keep giving 1st place to a booth that uses the same setup year after year is horseshit.gif. Bettye Jo, your booth was the best and I'm sure that many here who went and saw all the booths would agree with that as well. toast.gif

Bettye Jo,

I will tell you that there was a "bourbon barrel fountain" inside. Smelled really good

I shot several inside photos of your booth if you'd like me to post 'em. I've already posted the front shot somewhere...

The booth looked beautiful. Sorry I missed you, but I managed to be there for the last to that incredible Bourbon cheesecake that was being sampled in front. I'm gonna try and 'reverse engineer' that recipe... lol.gif

Here's a shot of the fountain, how cool that was!

Bj

post-25-14489811281118_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.