Favorite Single Malt under $70

weller_tex
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So what is your favorite Single Malt under $70 (I know prices may vary). Going to go with Talisker 10 nosing out Springbank 10.

Kind of depends on the style I am seeking on a particular day. It wasn't that long ago when I could depend on getting Caol Ila 12 for under $70 and I think it is a great representative of the Islay style. But it seems to be creeping up to and may soon be over that line.

Much the same for the Glendronach 15 Revival for a Speyside. But it now seems to be drifting over $70 as well.

$70 is pretty generous. So many choices. I'm not really sure I have a favorite per se - not to sound like an economist but it all depends on what I'm in the mood for. As far as purchasing new bottles it depends mostly on what I don't have already and what is on sale.

Caol Ila 12 is reliably under $65 in my neck of the woods but occasionally pops up on sale for $50 and I really like it, a lot, so I buy multiples when it's on sale. Springbank is normally under $60 but if I see a bottle for $50, I'll snap up a couple. Talisker 10 is super tasty and I occasionally see it for $50, or even $45, so I buy multiples. You get the idea. My tastes vary enough, and luckily my bunker is now just deep and wide enough that I rarely am craving something under $70 that I don't already have at least one bottle of.

Now if I owned nothing and could only buy one bottle of something under $70 – that’s a tougher call. It would be a tie between Laphroaig or Caol Ila with Edradour the backup choice. The tie breaker would be price.

I think this would be much harder if the dollar limit was $35. Obviously blends would be have to be included. Right now it would be either Monkey Shoulder ($35 or less) or Cutty Sark Prohibition. ($30 or less) or Knappogue Castle 12 (regularly $24.99 on sale in NH). With Islay Mist being ($20-25) a very distant 3rd.

So what is your favorite Single Malt under $70 (I know prices may vary). Going to go with Talisker 10 nosing out Springbank 10.

This question depends HIGHLY on location.

Pricing varies widely not only as a result of local taxes but also certain brands have very wide geographic variation. Here in Ontario EVERYTHING is more expensive than anywhere in the USA but Springbank, Ardbeg, Laphroaig, and anything over 18yo are obscene whereas others like Glenfarclas, Auchentoshan, Bowmore 12, Glenfiddich, Glelivet aren't that bad.

So, your $70 threshold can mean different choices depending on location

In my market my best choices under $70 (I like variety):

Aberlour 12

Benriach curiositas 10

Bruichladdich 10

Glendronach 12

Highland Park 12

Laphroaig QC

Old Pulteney 12

Note that your two choices (tali & Springer 10's) are both above $70 here.

Edited by portwood

This question depends HIGHLY on location.

Pricing varies widely not only as a result of local taxes but also certain brands have very wide geographic variation. Here in Ontario EVERYTHING is more expensive than anywhere in the USA but Springbank, Ardbeg, Laphroaig, and anything over 18yo are obscene whereas others like Glenfarclas, Auchentoshan, Bowmore 12, Glenfiddich, Glelivet aren't that bad.

So, your $70 threshold can mean different choices depending on location

Could try to identify a "bellwether" bottle or two and figure what the local difference is to determine what $70 equates to in your local area. A

lthough that is hard to do even in a single area! In Atlanta, with the depressing price increases resulting from the whisky boom and the overlords at Diageo, I have seen Caol Ila anywhere from mid $60's to nearly $100 depending on the pricing policies of the store and how recently they have had to restock.

In Atlanta, with the depressing price increases resulting from the whisky boom and the overlords at Diageo, I have seen Caol Ila anywhere from mid $60's to nearly $100 depending on the pricing policies of the store and how recently they have had to restock.

If I had to pick one, it would be Caol Ila 12 - love that stuff. But it has been holding steady at $50 here. Hmm, maybe I should bunker a few.. A close second in that under $70 would be The Laddie 10.

If I had to pick a budget bottle, it would be Ardmore Traditional Cask. At $30, a no-brainer.

If I had to pick one, it would be Caol Ila 12 - love that stuff. But it has been holding steady at $50 here. Hmm, maybe I should bunker a few.. A close second in that under $70 would be The Laddie 10.

Don't know why it is so variable in price and more expensive here. K&L still has it for $50 but doesn't have much in stock. Would surprise me if it didn't go up with the next shipment they get. The internet sources I generally have available to me show TPS is nearly $70 and relatively low stock while both Astor and DUNY are out of stock.

So stocking up at $50 seems prudent if it is a favorite!

I can usually find Lagavulin 16 for less than $70, it would be hard to not go with that if pressed for a single answer.

Benromach 10 yr is a nice one for about $50. Nicely sherried with a touch of peat - and that round, fruity Speyside character. I think this one will be one to watch as it ages.

Tough choice! I love Islay's so Ardbeg 10 would probably be my first choice. It's around $60 here. However, for a non-Islay the 16 year-old Glenlivet Nadurra is pretty awesome at just under $70.

I can usually find Lagavulin 16 for less than $70, it would be hard to not go with that if pressed for a single answer.
Shop carefully and Lagavulin 16 can still be had for under $70. That would easily be my vote.

I need say no more,Lag 16 for me as well!

I'm with Matt, Ardbeg 10. Wish I could find the Lagavulin that cheap too.

Yep ... nuff said!

OK, I'll say more ... for $7 more, Lagavulin 16.

Laphroaig 10 and Ardbeg 10. I don't buy Lag 16 anymore. It's $90.00 where I am. I love Scotch, but I'm just about priced out of the market. I just don't have that kind of disposable income.

Ardbeg Uigeadail or Laphroaig 18...both are usually around $55

Laga16 is around $77+ here, but I still might go for the Oogie.

Ardbeg Uigeadail or Laphroaig 18...both are usually around $55

Laga16 is around $77+ here, but I still might go for the Oogie.

If you like the Oogie and kind find it at that price probably should stock up! More like $100 around here. Same for the Laph 18.

Yeah the Laphroaig 18 is like $120-150 around here! I can find Uiegeadail for about $60-65 and Lag 16 for $65-70 but also regularly see it for $80-100. I've made Oogie my go-to Islay at these price points, but also picked up some Caol Ila 12 for ~$55. Prices just vary too much from region to region even store to store.

$70 gives lots of wiggle room to make some really good choices, almost like it's hard to go wrong. Like WhiskeyRI said, if you bring it down to like $35 or $40 then you really start shopping smart, S-mart. Things get less interesting but still some solid choices. My $30 bottle of Singleton of Glendullan 12yr is really very tasty, I find.

Edited by RVTsteve

Highland: Dalwhinnie 15

Speyside: Aberlour 16 Double Cask

I always enjoy Macallan 12

Laphroaig 18 for $55? wow, that is what Laphroaig 10 normally goes for here. I typically see the 18 for between $85-$100 up here. Given how silly pricing has become for 18 year olds, I'd bunker it at that price. It won't stay there long. Even the Oggie is unusually inexpensive. That normally runs in the $70+ range up here. On a side note, I had a conversation with a distributor and he couldn't believe the prices for Talisker 18 either - he said it is piling up in the warehouses at the current $125+ price point. My hope is the market will correct itself. I know the only Talisker 18 I can afford are the under-priced dusties.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.