New Elijah Craig Single Barrel 21-year-old

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So Elijah Craig 18-year-old, at $35-$40 a bottle, went away and first there was a limited edition 20-year-old and now, 18-months later, there's a limited edition 21-year-old.

For $140.

Some people are writing, "Wow, what a great deal for a 21-year-old," and I suppose there's some truth to that if you survey the landscape. On the one hand, a lot of people were worried that, with bourbon booming, bourbons in the upper age ranges were liable to become a fond memory. On the other hand, $140.

It's really crazy out there. I picked up a straggler EC18 a couple of months ago for $56 and felt like I overpaid based on original retail but now feel lucky to have found it.

So Elijah Craig 18-year-old, at $35-$40 a bottle, went away and first there was a limited edition 20-year-old and now, 18-months later, there's a limited edition 21-year-old.

For $140.

Some people are writing, "Wow, what a great deal for a 21-year-old," and I suppose there's some truth to that if you survey the landscape. On the one hand, a lot of people were worried that, with bourbon booming, bourbons in the upper age ranges were liable to become a fond memory. On the other hand, $140.

That's one heck of a way to slightly slow down demand. Though i always get a chuckle when at the HH gift shop. Watching international tourists grab 22/23/etc bottles at sky high prices without even blinking. Not going to laugh next trip!

I remember reading that HH had one of the larger supplies of older barrels. Guess it's more a function of how much hasn't evaporated in what you have though and not just the barrel count.

My local liquor store has the same original bottles of EC20 from when they were first released. They didn't get any ECBP in the first release. I wonder how the inability to move the overpriced stuff impacts their ability to get the better value stuff?

Jeepers, these old Bourbon's are getting to legacy single malt scotch territory.

And isn't that really the point - bourbon at 20+ yrs is probably equivalent to a 40+ yr single malt at least in terms of barrel contribution, maybe even more. To the uninitiated, a 20+ yr bourbon at $140 is an absolute bargain against anything remotely close in the single malt world; the distillers would be crazy not to tap into it in some fashion.

When EC18 could be had for $40, you'd be hard pressed to find an equivalently aged good single malt at 2X-3X that price.

I remember about 8 years ago or so that the EC 18's that were barreled in 1981 were actually 21 to 23 years old.

Edited by OscarV

Well the "if it's high priced it must be great" team members don't have to worry about me getting one of their bottles.

The more I try the better VOB, AAA, EWBIB, GD12, & 4RYL taste to me.

For $140.

Craig Beam brought a bottle of this to a Hosparus charity tasting event last October. They had the 20, 21 and Parker's 6th all available for tasting. Both ECs were very good but the Parker's was the winner.

What no one has talked about is all this bourbon is pre HH fire bourbon including the up to this year the EC 18. Any thing after next year for EC 18 would not be wait 5 years and it becomes Bernheim distilled bourbon. By changing the age every year it continues to be HH distilled product not the stuff that was distilled for them. Does this make sense?

Edited by p_elliott

Right before EC18 was discontinued a local store had some that they picked for $50, but it was actually 20 year bourbon. Pretty good stuff and more or less a bargain at that price. I had wanted to bunker a few more but didn't see the need to be in a hurry about it... still kicking myself. Lesson learned.

Right before EC18 was discontinued a local store had some that they picked for $50, but it was actually 20 year bourbon. Pretty good stuff and more or less a bargain at that price. I had wanted to bunker a few more but didn't see the need to be in a hurry about it... still kicking myself. Lesson learned.

I think we all experience that lesson. For me it was not picking up more Bowman Rye from TPS than I did.

It's on the shelves now, at least in Lexington

How much were you seeing? My rep is on vacation and we didn't see any but he had warned that there will not be much. Seems to be par for the course with HH limited releases in KY.

Plentiful at the gift shop for 2.5X retail but in woefully short supply elsewhere.

Interested to hear thoughts on this one... I'ver personally preferred the younger EC's over the older, at least I always preferred the 12 to the 18. And I'm guessing I would much rather have 3 bottles of the barrel proof (if I could find them) than 1 bottle of 20yo at $140.

I'ver personally preferred the younger EC's over the older, at least I always preferred the 12 to the 18. And I'm guessing I would much rather have 3 bottles of the barrel proof (if I could find them) than 1 bottle of 20yo at $140.

Me too, I think the BP is the best move they've made for this brand.

I find the 18 a bit too wood dominant for my taste so the 21 is not under consideration, even at a lower price.

I did not care for the 18 the one time I had it. I will try it again given a chance but will not buy unless my bar tastings make me.

EC18, IIRC, I think back in the days it was said that batch to batch variation was high, some good some not so good.

In 2007/08, I had a bottle and enjoy it very much. Only had one my whole time though so may have gotten lucky. I found another one recently but not yet open.

For $35-50, I would gladly pay that actually now a days.

It's really crazy out there. I picked up a straggler EC18 a couple of months ago for $56 and felt like I overpaid based on original retail but now feel lucky to have found it.

think you're right about being lucky. I've been toying with a Jefferson 21 trying to figure it out. opened a new EC18 barreled 91 and it compares favorably to the Jefferson 21. how many other's can ya say that about? EC18 used to be my regular pour, now what to do?

• 3 weeks later...

I got an email alert from K&L, had it in my basket but ultimately couldn't pull the trigger. I found the EC 18 a little too woody and $150 with tax is a lot to gamble on. A lot of good whiskey coming soon, decided to keep my powder dry.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.