New Elijah Craig Single Barrel 21-year-old

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I lucked into finding a store which had a tasting bar ($10 for 1oz), tried it and loved how smooth it was. Was then able to snag a bottle @ normal retail.

Only thing i am absolutely stumped on, is that my bottle shows "barrel #6". I know the HH GS had barrel #1 and #2 over a period of time, but i didn't expect to find this early of a barrel in normal supply chain. The reviews i'd seen from Whiskey Advocate and others mentioned barrel #41 or #42.

This is very nice stuff - thankfully not overoaked at all (at least the barrel I got - labeled 4032). I do prefer the first release of the 12yo barrel proof, though : ) especially at the price.

Cork and Keg near Brastelton just got their allotment of 3 bottles and at $150 I passed. On the other hand they have a private FRSB OBSQ @ 110.8 that I did pick up. I'll post that also in the appropriate thread.

Any side by side to the JPS21? I'm glad I bunker some of the JPS21 when I saw them for $110, and that was a lot already.

I'll skip at $150 for the EC21, maybe just one.

I lucked into finding a store which had a tasting bar ($10 for 1oz), tried it and loved how smooth it was. Was then able to snag a bottle @ normal retail.

Only thing i am absolutely stumped on, is that my bottle shows "barrel #6". I know the HH GS had barrel #1 and #2 over a period of time, but i didn't expect to find this early of a barrel in normal supply chain. The reviews i'd seen from Whiskey Advocate and others mentioned barrel #41 or #42.

Got a bottle and absolutely love it! Rich, complex, great mouth feel and drinkability, and (cliche alert!)... smooth. Not over-oaked at all. IMO, a superb pour. Since it's a SB, YMMV.

Not happy about the price; but in the current, over-heated market not totally out of line. If I could find more (Barrel 6) I'd buy all I could find.

OK... so I'm smitten. :crazy:

Got a bottle and absolutely love it! Rich, complex, great mouth feel and drinkability, and (cliche alert!)... smooth. Not over-oaked at all. IMO, a superb pour. Since it's a SB, YMMV.

Not happy about the price; but in the current, over-heated market not totally out of line. If I could find more (Barrel 6) I'd buy all I could find.

OK... so I'm smitten. :crazy:

That's quite a rec JB. I'm most intrigued by your description of it not being over-oaked. From following your reviews over the years, I know you may be more critical of that characteristic in a whiskey (Your opinion of Jeff Pres 18 comes to mind). So, to read this from you resonates with me. I look forward to trying it myself!

:toast:

End up going to pick some up since reviews here and online seems quite good and my contact is getting some for me personally. But since this is single barrel bottling there will be some good and some lacking.

Tracking good barrels:

6 - jburlowski

42 - Hansell

4032 - thirstysouth

Please add onto the list as you find a good barrel.

Tracking good barrels:

6 - jburlowski

42 - Hansell

4032 - ThirstySouth

Not so good:

Please add onto the list as you find a good barrel.

Picked up some barrel #8, and had two quick pours late last night. Didn't have time to do a side by side. But just tasting it by itself and to my opinion, I am very pleased that it is not overly wood at all, still have some vibrancy but is very well balance, smooth, and the alcohol is kept completely under control both extreme mild in the nose and burn. The nose is nice, taste is fairly complex and finish lingers. A little early to say but I will put this in the good barrel category for now. Others can confirm. My only hesitation is I believe there may be a just a hint of star anise which I don't personally like (physiological) but hoping that's a fresh bottle impact and will disappear.

Tracking good barrels:

6 - jburlowski

8 - tigerlam92

42 - Hansell

4032 - ThirstySouth

Not so good:

4 - JB

Please add onto the list as you find bottles from a new barrel or taste the same barrel by adding on your preference.

Passed up an opportunity to pick up some EJSB 21 today. At $140 retail, it would need to blow me away to justify that price. IMO, from a business perspective, it's not the smartest time to release such a steeply priced bourbon when BTAC and PVW allocations are right around the corner. Especially when it didn't seem to be all that highly anticipated in the first place.

I would love to get a hand on this based on EC12 and ECBP. Any advice for picking up some from a control state? I don't think I'll be in a non-control anytime soon. A buddy is heading to TN next week, readily available there?

Hmmm, with all the good stuff I have open, in the last three days, this EC21 has been my go to pour. 40% gone already.

The only thing else I had was a pour of W21 Beltramos barrel yesterday and it lost to EC21 completely. IIRC, I found W21 slightly better than JPS21 but for the price JPS21 was much better.

I think I like this a lot. It's just so easy to drink neat.

I swore I would be buying this at first sight based on ECBP and EC12. Well I had my first opportunity today at a local store, but at $158 I couldn't pull the trigger after buying 5 bottles this week. :/

I have a bottle of 20 yr old, so I think I'm gonna pass on this.

Especially with what I bought today (see foreign whiskey forum) and what's coming out soon.

Saw a bottle of the EC21 for $123 today. I'm debating buying it, but I think I'm going to pass.

Saw a bottle of the EC21 for $123 today. I'm debating buying it, but I think I'm going to pass.

I saw it today for $140. Three on the shelf. I'm gonna pass unless it buys my way out of Saturday GBS hazing.

I saw it today for $140. Three on the shelf. I'm gonna pass unless it buys my way out of Saturday GBS hazing.

Sorry, Joel...it's already on the table...BaaaaaaBaaaaaaaaaaaaa... :D

add barrel 57 to the good ones. it's barreled 12/90.

I compared it side by side to an EC18 barreled 3.3 months later. Color and nose identical. Floral fruity notes identical. EC21 had noticeable more wood and bit more pinache, with richer aftertaste. Drinking them separate, I would never know the difference, but side-by-side the EC21 certainly better.

Compared EC21 side-by-side with JPS21. JPS nose not as strong and a little different. JPS21 less wood and more "oily" and with nod going to EC21.

So the bottles in town around here are barrels 75, 78 and 82. I couldn't find any info on them, and there was nothing in the "good barrel" list. Anybody have any info on these?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.