First bottle of scotch?

Bootlegger1929
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So I've been on SB for several months now. And I've definitely made my way through some bourbon and rye and just bought my first Brandy (a bottle of Delord 25 which I'm quite enjoying).

Right now in the liquor cabinet I have

Weller 107 and 12 yr (love the blend)

JPS 18 batch 10

Eagle rare 17

Willett 7

Willett 4 yr rye

Handy 2010 or 2011 (I think)

4R single OBSK

4R single OBSO

I have tried very few scotches, most recently a pour from a bottle of Lagavulin 16 I believe. Very smoky as I know Islays are. Not sure I'd be ready to have a whole bottle of an Islay as my first scotch. I was hoping someone could point me at a good starting place. I've read that Macallan 12 might be good but a lot of people seem to describe it and others like it as boring. I'd like something interesting and complex that represents a good scotch and doesn't break the bank if that's possible. So what single malt should I look into for hopefully less than $100?

sorry for the long post and I look forward to any responses. I read through everything I could find in this very small section to try to get a better idea but there's just so much out there.

I love Islays. But for a great non-Islay that is (probably) easy to find most everywhere and is under $100 maybe check out Glenlivet 16yr Nadurra. It's cask strength, non-chill filtered and damn tasty! I think it runs around $60-70, depending on where you are of course.

Highland Park 12. A little sherry, a little smoke, and a damn fine bottle of scotch for any level of experience.

Highland Park 12. A little sherry, a little smoke, and a damn fine bottle of scotch for any level of experience.

Another great recommendation that should be easy to find!

Maybe to ease in, the Balvenie 12 single barrel from first-fill bourbon casks. It is very approachable and combines a lot of the best of bourbon and scotch. I don't even really like the standard doublewood all that much, but the 12 SB is great.

Though the best whiskey aged in bourbon casks, IMHO, is bourbon :)

Thanks for the responses so far. I live in Chicago btw. Probably head down to the south loop binnys tomorrow.

The Clynelish 14yo is a great bargain at around $50 and was the first malt I took a shine to while in the midst of a growing bourbon obsession. For something at CS, I'd go Springbank 12yo. It's around $75 in these parts. Springbank is the only distillery in Scotland that still does 100% of their malting on site, and it's family owned.

Good choices already mentioned but IMO the best gateways to Scotch for Bourbon drinkers are those matured in ex-bourbon casks. One of the best examples of that style is the Glenlivet Nadurra.

Nadurra is a great suggestion for someone who's comfortable with barrel proof bourbons and wants a gateway. The Balvenie 15 year single barrel is a favorite of mine and really bridges the Atlantic divide.

Nadurra is a great suggestion for someone who's comfortable with barrel proof bourbons and wants a gateway.

True about comfort with high proof. The lower proof alternative to the Nadurra would be, as squire suggested, the Glenlivet 15yo french oak reserve

The standard Glenmorangie 10 is a good introduction to Scotch. It's hard to go wrong with Aberlour 12 if you are looking for a sherried Scotch.

Glenmorangie is a bit light for my tastes but the Scots sure seem to like it and they should know.

It's the top selling scotch in Scotland from what I've heard. It's a bit light for me also, but since it can be found for $30-35 in most places, it seems like a decent bottle to have as one of your first few.

It's the top selling scotch in Scotland from what I've heard. It's a bit light for me also, but since it can be found for $30-35 in most places, it seems like a decent bottle to have as one of your first few.

Was down to something like $29.99 with a couple of commemorative British Open glasses included here recently. Hard to beat that for a nice quality introductory scotch!

GlenMo10 whips the pants off it's similarly priced shelfmates 'livet 12 and 'fiddich 12. For a few dollars more the Glenfiddich 15 is my pick in the non-peated/under $50 category, for what it's worth.

Edited by Yeti

I would +1 on the Nadurra. The first time I had it, it felt familiar and comforting:) It was definitely one of the tasty ones for me.

Glenmorangie is a bit light for my tastes but the Scots sure seem to like it and they should know.

The standard Glenmorangie 10 is a good introduction to Scotch. It's hard to go wrong with Aberlour 12 if you are looking for a sherried Scotch.

I like these recommendations at under $40. Move to a higher price if you like these.

So I ended up with a bottle of Highland Park 12. And I must say I'm glad I got it. Really really enjoy it. The others that were suggested will be considered for future purchases. Pretty much everything you guys mentioned they had at Binnys. The peatyness of this actually balances really nicely with the other flavors. This bottle will not last long. I can tell already.

Thanks again!!

Good call on the HP12. My first bottle of Scotch was a Laphroaig 10yr after having it at a tasting and loving how different it was from anything I'd tasted before (although if you "like" peat but don't "love" peat - that might not be a good first bottle). I like to think of HP12 as a "gateway Islay" dram - enough to either get you interested and want more, or tell you not to cross that bridge :lol:

My fist scotch was gifted to me and it was Highland Park 12, as well. All I could think was, "Wow, this tastes like great mezcal."

I love Islays. But for a great non-Islay that is (probably) easy to find most everywhere and is under $100 maybe check out Glenlivet 16yr Nadurra. It's cask strength, non-chill filtered and damn tasty! I think it runs around $60-70, depending on where you are of course.

I agree with Nadurra. On a Scotch forum Nadurra was mentioned in a thread "if i could only have 3 bottles..." several times. Longmorn 15yo is also a great one. I wouldn't just stick to single malts.....Ballantines 17yo and Cutty Sark 25yo are my top 2 blends under $100.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.