First bottle of scotch?

Bootlegger1929
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My fist scotch was gifted to me and it was Highland Park 12, as well. All I could think was, "Wow, this tastes like great mezcal."

Scotch came before mezcal for me, but this is about the direct analog of how I felt when I tried some good mezcal.

Nothing to do with any kind of barrels for the ones I like to drink. Try some Del Maguey Chichicapa if you have a chance.

Nothing to do with any kind of barrels for the ones I like to drink. Try some Del Maguey Chichicapa if you have a chance.

Chichicapa is indeed very nice. I also recommend the Del Maguey Tobala. A bit harder to find and a bit more expensive but very good. I would also recommend the Del Maguey San Luis del Rio Azul but it was a limited offering and may be hard to find now. Blue Weber Agave grown in Oaxaca (some was sent there years ago during the late 90's and early 2000's when the Blue Agave was affected by a disease in the Jalisco region to try to preserve the species) and produced like a mezcal.

Ok. So I bought the HP12 last Friday and its pretty much gone now. Love it. Sweetness is wonderful and I actually really enjoy the smokiness of it. Been reading tons and tons of reviews and for some reason I'm really really intrigued by Islays. Like I originally said I have tried Lagavulin 16. Which I kind of liked. And now I'm feeling more adventurous and my mouth is kind of watering as I read reviews of Ardbeg whiskys. And then I come to find out that I can get a hold of Ardbeg 10 with samples of two other cask strength bottles for a decent price. Am I crazy for thinking of going for this? Should I explore more in the shallow end of the peat pool before diving in like this? If so then what should I try next before moving on to the peat monsters of Islay? Any help is appreciated.

Talisker (this month's BOTM) is a good transition to Islay - not as honeyed as HP but a step towards the Islay peathammers.

Ardbeg & Talisker are the malts that imprinted the love of whisky on me and they always feel like my whisky homecoming.

The Ardbeg explorer pack is a good way to go - if you already like the Lag16, I'd say you're ready to take the plunge. Maybe revisit Lag16 again before heading off to Ardbegeddon ;-)

And now I'm feeling more adventurous and my mouth is kind of watering as I read reviews of Ardbeg whiskys. And then I come to find out that I can get a hold of Ardbeg 10 with samples of two other cask strength bottles for a decent price. Am I crazy for thinking of going for this? Should I explore more in the shallow end of the peat pool before diving in like this? If so then what should I try next before moving on to the peat monsters of Islay? Any help is appreciated.

I drank plenty of Speyside scotch for years before someone gifted me a bottle of Lagavulin. I knew I liked the idea of peat from a chance encounter with Connemara a few years back, but Lagavulin 16 is benchmark, life changing stuff (at least for me). To this day it is probably the answer to the (never asked) question of "if you could only nose one whisky?" It's the quintessential smell of scotch in my mind.

If it's only "okay" to you then perhaps you might not care for the rowdier, rough and tumble Ardbeg and Laphroaigs, but you'll never know until you try them. Ardbeg 10, Uigedail, and Corryvreckan, as well as Laphroiag 10 and 10 CS are all staples of my scotch bar and are all excellent IMO.

I will say that for me, it's very easy to love these whiskies once the leaves go and temperature drops. There's something about the warm embrace of Islay during the winter months. If it doesn't please you immediately, or even if it does, be sure to pour a healthy dram during the first snow fall of the season.

So I think what I'll do is pick up a Talisker and the Ardbeg pack and go through the Talisker for a bit before tryin. The Ardbeg.

I think Caol Ila sometimes gets a bit forgotten in the Islay world but it generally strikes a nice balance as a step up into the world of peat, band aids and sea foam without getting head over the head with any of it. And the Caol Ila 12 is still relatively inexpensive compared to some.

Caol Ila is my favorite for "heavily peated, extra aged independent bottles at a great value". I wonder how much longer that may last.

Not being a peat fan at all, my first bottle of scotch was Dalmore 12. I still think it holds up to any other $60 range Scotch, and in fact I bought another bottle today. I try to always keep some on hand.

So they were out of theTalisker 12. Too many taking part in foreign whisky of the month maybe? I ended up taking home Glenlivet Nadurra and Ardbeg exploration pack. Had a dram of the Glenlivet and its great. What I expected pretty much. Now enjoying the Ardbeg. And I mean really enjoying it. I guess I like pleated stuff now...

So they were out of theTalisker 12. Too many taking part in foreign whisky of the month maybe? I ended up taking home Glenlivet Nadurra and Ardbeg exploration pack. Had a dram of the Glenlivet and its great. What I expected pretty much. Now enjoying the Ardbeg. And I mean really enjoying it. I guess I like pleated stuff now...

Talisker 12? There was a special bottling of that a while back but probably not easy to find. Do you mean the standard Talisker 10?

Sometimes the DE is passed off as 12 - maybe that's it?

I only go for pleated stuff if it's on a skirt attached to a pretty lady.

=]b

Caol Ila is my favorite for "heavily peated, extra aged independent bottles at a great value". I wonder how much longer that may last.

I second this. The older bottling I've had was amazing and relatively cheap.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.