Transitioning from Bourbon to Scotch?

TLH-Mike
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ok, it's been a long time since I've had Scotch. This past weekend I was at the International Wine and Food Festival at Epcot. I purchased the "Scotch Flight" which consisted of Glenfiddich 18, 15, 12 year Scotch. It took a long while to unscrew the cramp in my face after tasting all three, the 18 year having the most "smoke". That said, it was tough getting through it. Can anyone recommend a good place to start when transitioning from, or between bourbon and Scotch? Thanks!

I should clarify, that I'm essentially asking what I'm "missing" when drinking Scotch? I didn't find it nary as enjoyable as Bourbon. For those who enjoy both, how do you manage the transition? That said, I have no inclination to drink anymore Scotch, anytime soon.

The idea of "I love bourbon so why would I drink Scotch" is foreign to me.

I like drinking whiskey. Malt whiskey in the Scotch style is a lot different from bourbon, and has a wide spectrum of flavor to offer. If you go in expecting a certain flavor (in this case, smoke) you'll find it. Forgive me if I'm making an incorrect assumption about your preconceptions.

Glenfiddich is one of the most popular malts - not among enthusiasts, among everyone. That's the case because it's mild and approachable. It's not peaty. I find it light, with floral and honey flavors. It's not my favorite, because it's not enough in-my-face, and that's the only reason.

If you want to try some Scotch, try some. The ones that grabbed me are the peaty ones. The ones that grab others are the sherry bombs, or the delicate ones, or....

I won't eat brussel sprouts but my son likes them. He won't eat broccoli even if I try to hide it in a casserole. Things are what they are and I'm content to like what I like.

I won't eat brussel sprouts but my son likes them. He won't eat broccoli even if I try to hide it in a casserole. Things are what they are and I'm content to like what I like.

Well I'm dang sure not talking to YOU about what Scotch tastes like. You've tried more of it than most folks here.

That's pretty much it. Scotch whisky doesn't have much more in common with bourbon than oak aged tequila or rum. They're different and you may not like them all. If you don't, you're not "missing" anything.

That's pretty much it. Scotch whisky doesn't have much more in common with bourbon than oak aged tequila or rum. They're different and you may not like them all. If you don't, you're not "missing" anything.

Pretty much sums it up for me... No shame in not liking Scotch but I commend your willingness to give it a shot every once in a while.

For me there is no real transition, it's all in what I feel like that night. I rarely ever have a bourbon and a scotch in the same night, same with the Canadians or Irish whisk(e)ys, they all have their own characteristics. If I'm looking for that sweetness, in a cocktail, on the rocks, or neat, then the bourbons come out, slightly more often than the scotches in the summer. If I'm looking for something to sip over a long period of time enjoying the complexity then I reach for a scotch, slightly more often in the winter. Scotch itself has so many different styles that it's hard to even lump it into one category. My best scotch drinking buddy is a huge fan of the sherry bombs, my wife likes the peat, and I like the sweeter drams, though we all enjoy the entire range from time to time.

All that being said, if you struggled through the scotch you had, and if you try more and continue to struggle, why bother? Whisk(e)y, especially scotch, is faaaaar too expensive to force on yourself if you just really don't care for it. Drink what you like! :D

I am a bourbon lover and I have found that The Balvenie scotch suits me very well. I had a large pour of it the other night while reading, and I enjoyed every sip. Mine is the 15 year old single barrel.

Tim

I am a bourbon lover and I have found that The Balvenie scotch suits me very well. I had a large pour of it the other night while reading, and I enjoyed every sip. Mine is the 15 year old single barrel.

Tim

That 15 year balvenie is one of my favorite whiskeys period, I just wish it was easier to find at a decent price.

They're certainly not readily available here in the states, nor are they affordable when compared to the great bourbon options we have, but really old grain whiskies from Scotland would have a lot to offer the bourbon palate. I've shared a 48 year old single grain whisky with several friends and it's been pretty universally appreciated.

If you can't get through Glenfiddich, I wouldn't bother going any further, frankly. Those are some good whiskies. If it was simply your palate being unaccustomed to S cotch, and you are willing to develop it, try Glenlivet 15 French Oak or Chivas Regal 18yr old, Macallan 12 might be interesting to you. There really isn't a transitionary whisky that can bridge a gap between bourbon and scotch, they are too different. You either dive in or stay on the ledge, taking a few pulls from your Wild Turkey, content with life. Good luck, sir! I'd mention a few Islay bottles but you might cry if you tried them.

Some times you need to jump off into the deep end....

Go to bar and order Glenlivet 12. Then order Macallan 12. Then order Highland Park 18. And then order Laphroaig 10. If you don't notice the difference, I would wonder if you have taste buds or not.

They are virtually polar opposites of each other that you would soon realize that scotch has one thing that bourbon doesn't have: diversity.

You all on here (well me too) talk about which bourbon is better but its all the same shit and it is all good no matter what someone says on here.

But scotch...that stuff is for the adventurer. And some places won't find a fondness for your heart as much as another pour will.

you would soon realize that scotch has one thing that bourbon doesn't have: diversity.

You all on here (well me too) talk about which bourbon is better but its all the same shit and it is all good no matter what someone says on here.

Things are about to get bloody. (grabs some popcorn)

Things are about to get bloody. (grabs some popcorn)

Yeah, no kidding. The idea that a wheater and rye bourbon taste alike is pretty funny. There are some similar characteristics in bourbons, more so than say an Islay vs a Speyside, but the flavors are still very different.

Devil's advocate, but...it's largely a true statement, or at least a statement motivated by the facts. The US government definition of "bourbon" and specifically "straight bourbon" is a double edged sword that establishes a very high level of consistent quality, but not much variation relative to other spirits. There's certainly no two straight bourbons you could point to and arrive at a dissimilarity as significant as, say Caol Ila 12 year and Balvenie 12 year. Or Glenfiddich 18 and Talisker 18. Or Lagavulin 16 and Longmorn 16. And on and on.

But before everyone gets their panties twisted up in a bunch, remember that there's also no scottish equivalent to the value and absolute quality of even the most modestly priced straight bourbons. You want a Scotch whisky equivalent to HH6 and EW BIB? VOB BIB? Hell, even Elmer T Lee, Rare Breed, etc. etc.? It's just not there.

Devil's advocate, but...it's largely a true statement, or at least a statement motivated by the facts. The US government definition of "bourbon" and specifically "straight bourbon" is a double edged sword that establishes a very high level of consistent quality, but not much variation relative to other spirits. There's certainly no two straight bourbons you could point to and arrive at a dissimilarity as significant as, say Caol Ila 12 year and Balvenie 12 year. Or Glenfiddich 18 and Talisker 18. Or Lagavulin 16 and Longmorn 16. And on and on.

But before everyone gets their panties twisted up in a bunch, remember that there's also no scottish equivalent to the value and absolute quality of even the most modestly priced straight bourbons. You want a Scotch whisky equivalent to HH6 and EW BIB? VOB BIB? Hell, even Elmer T Lee, Rare Breed, etc. etc.? It's just not there.

Thanks Yeti. I am trying to remain objective. Bourbon just doesn't have the diversity that scotch has. With that said, bourbon is still my favorite spirit and the reason being your last statement. Scotch can never compete with bourbon in QPR. When dealing with the most rational considerations, at least in America, bourbon is a no brainer.

To me, they are apples/oranges. There are bourbons I love, and those I wouldn't waste the calories on. Same with Scotch. The first Scotch I fell in love with was Laphroaig, which to me isn't anything like bourbon (but that's what I liked about it - nothing else on the planet like an Islay pour!) I don't look for Scotch that reminds me of bourbon or the other way around. Celebrate their differences :-) And if you don't like a genre (I haven't met an Irish whiskey that I really loved yet) don't sweat it!

Great post! You bailed out a SB brother and affirmed exactly why I do (and will) continue to contribute to my local economy only!

Scotch is one of the reasons I'd like to see US distillers try to release some used cooperage whiskies (other than Early Times ...). Could be an entire new category of whiskey for the US market - the character of the distillate would come through and perhaps differentiate the products even more. I think new charred oak barrels can "homogenize" bourbon a bit at least to the uninitiated; or at least it takes more experience to taste what is behind those barrel characteristics. That said, as was stated above bourbons are incredible value in comparison and at younger ages that Scotch can rarely touch.

Where Scotch shines is that longer aging in used cooperage can take that spirity edge off the whisky that younger bourbons can have and you have a wider window before the barrel characteristics assert themselves. Scotch also seems to carry a broader range of flavors at lower proofs. While many would like to see Scotch at 46% abv minimum, you don't hear nearly as many complaints about Scotch at these (and lower) proofs as you do about sub-90 proof or sub-100 proof bourbon/ryes, which I've always found interesting. Laphroaig 10 std bottling is a favorite of many and yet is only 86 proof.

First I'll echo what Darryl said - apples and oranges comparison and within each there are flavors I love and those I hate. No two brands are alike.

Next I have to say I cannot mix the two. If I am drinking scotch I won't switch to bourbon and vice-versa. They are just too different and don't mix well in my stomach.

Having said all this I usually prefer bourbon over scotch and hi-rye varieties (I think) such as Eagle Rare & Old Scout are my favorites. My favorite scotch is Macallan 12 which is closest in the sweetness that I like so much in bourbon.

This is correct. You like what you like and don't what you don't. However, if you're looking for an easier transition I think that something like Glendronach or Aberlour might work well. They're sherried and have no peat or smoke. And they're delicious.

For me, tequila is my first love, but for the sake of variety I like to try other options. Right now, I think that I prefer scotch to bourbon, but that changes based on mood, food, time of year, etc.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.