Transitioning from Bourbon to Scotch?

TLH-Mike
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Right now, I think that I prefer scotch to bourbon, but that changes based on mood, food, time of year, etc.

That's the truth! I can't ever seem to make up my mind.

The idea that a wheater and rye bourbon taste alike is pretty funny.

Do a double blind tasting of a range of bourbons/ryes in various styles and you will learn just how unfunny this really is.

Do a double blind tasting of a range of bourbons/ryes in various styles and you will learn just how unfunny this really is.

I have, at least I have tasted pours at distilleries without knowing what they were and could tell a difference. The most recent time they did this was at HH when they poured me EW, EW SB, EC18, and a PHC (I don't know which one but this was last fall). The lady running the tasting was asking all of us what we could taste and I could name the main flavors she was looking for in each and they were different. I'll admit I've never done a blind test with straight rye vs rye mashbill vs wheat mashbill but I can always taste the rye vs the wheat influence when drinking a bourbon.

All that being said, I'm not going to tell you there are not huge similarities among bourbons, much more so than with scotch. They have a similar theme but the differences are still very easily discernible, at least when your talking about the main "categories" of bourbon. Now, give me 5 different rye mashbill bourbons and I would struggle to tell the difference unless there was a huge age/proof gap among them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.